Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Secretive mood...sitting in dining room?  (Read 984 times)

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Secretive mood...sitting in dining room?
« on: July 22, 2009, 04:32:29 pm »

So one of my guys woke up and got a secretive mood. He withdrawed from society...into the dining room.

He just sits there. moving from one tile to another every 10 minutes or so.
What do i do? Is this a bug?
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Secretive mood...sitting in dining room?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 04:37:33 pm »

He needs a workshop. Check what his highest non-social skill profession is and build that workshop. If he has no skills other than social ones, he will default to a craftdwarf's shop.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 04:38:14 pm »

Do you have the type of workshop he wants?

What is his highest profession?

Most of them want craftsdwarf's workshop, but check the wiki under "mood."
There are many professions that demand a certain type of workshop related to their highest skill. (There is also a priority order in case of a tie, etc, but I'll let you read it).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 04:49:18 pm »

On a side note, if he's sitting in your dining room, he probably doesn't have his own quarters, so you should probably take care of that as well (unless his mood fails, in which case it'll be moot).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:50:41 pm »

His dining room is his likely meeting zone, and that's where moody dwarves without workshops go. They don't go to their rooms, at least, I don't think they do.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 04:56:33 pm »

AH HA!

If only i had a anvil.
Hes a armorsmith...and i really need a anvil now for two reasons.

He also has a room.
Can i switch his skills so he'll pick another?
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:58:03 pm »

No.

You can now wall him up so, when he goes insane, he won't hurt anyone else. Congratulations.

Edit - (afterthought) -  what stopped you from getting an anvil from the 1st caravan?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 05:33:16 pm by Albedo »

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 06:18:05 pm »

1. He went insane and a fortress guard right below him killed him along with 3 war dogs.

2. the first caravan had shit. then i ordered another and i never got it.
i keep ordering them but never gettin em, so im installing my new road.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:15 pm »

The first caravan often sucks for getting an anvil. If they bring iron you're good, if they bring steel you're screwed unless you're very fast with building your economy.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 08:38:09 pm »

I never have any problems with first caravans and anvils. It has been discussed and it might be sheer fluke, or possibly my starting build, but either way, they always bring 5-6 iron/steel anvils, so I can pick whatever I like.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 08:43:53 pm »

I never have any problems with first caravans and anvils. It has been discussed and it might be sheer fluke, or possibly my starting build, but either way, they always bring 5-6 iron/steel anvils, so I can pick whatever I like.

It happens. I've had it happen before. It's uncommon, but it happens.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 11:10:29 pm »

That's exactly why I take the anvil with me on embark. Saves so much effort getting established.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 11:37:57 pm »

Anvils are nearly useless unless you're rushing to get smiths set up, though. Typically I don't have the time to pull my miner/smiths away from mining until halfway through year 2.

As for funds, bring a Proficient cook and a bunch of meat with all that money you save from not having an anvil. Cook all the meat into roasts, and you'll have enough to buy several anvils.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 02:04:36 am »

Anvils are nearly useless unless you're rushing to get smiths set up, though. Typically I don't have the time to pull my miner/smiths away from mining until halfway through year 2.

As for funds, bring a Proficient cook and a bunch of meat with all that money you save from not having an anvil. Cook all the meat into roasts, and you'll have enough to buy several anvils.
I'm a terrible player; it often takes 2 years before I get a forge up. But I bring the anvil at embark. Why? Purely and simply, because it lets me rest easily at night. I don't have to worry about it. At all. One less thing to worry about is always nice.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 02:36:50 am »

it also frees up 1000 points.
THPÆCROSSISM
KHDownloads
Pages: [1] 2