Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Explosives!  (Read 1144 times)

adam-s

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Explosives!
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:48:10 pm »

I would love to have explosives in the game. They could be alcohol based if powder/tnt is too techy.

I imaging a one square "building" that could be built by an engineer or maybe a different job class. The building could be connected to existing trap components or set to work on a fuse. When triggered, the building would self destruct with devastating effect in all directions.

A few imaginative uses...

Psycho mining! The explosion should effectively mine rock around it...possibly destroying some of the normal stone yield you would have.

Utterly destroying useless things! Nobles/cats included.

Devastating aqueducts! You could build a machine that effectively destroys a huge area on an aqueduct layer while it drops pre-made walls into place at the same time!

Fortress self destruct lever!

Blowing things up is fun!

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Explosives!
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 02:02:29 pm »

They should also have some type of fuse made out of something like pigtail so you are able to choose how far away its lit with the longer the fuse, the more is required.  They also should have a warning radius where you can tell dwarves to stay a certain distance away from them.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:03:47 pm »

I have a feeling this has mentioned before, but I still agree that it ought to be added. Pre 16th Century (?) be damned!

Sunken

• Bay Watcher
  • Wabewalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:04:14 pm »

I'm sure OP used the search function judiciously before creating this thread...
Alpha version? More like elf aversion!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:06:58 pm »

Having the option of modding this stuff in would be nice, 1400s limit or not

It'd be a bloat at best though

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:23:39 pm »

Dear god. do a search for explosives. I already posted many times on the previous thread, so lock this one up and go necro the other one.

Toady (armok be with him) wants no gunpowder but when AoE comes in you'll be able to mod in reactions that produce items with AoE tags, like pressure plate mines and such.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

adam-s

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:47:20 pm »

Dear god. do a search for explosives. I already posted many times on the previous thread, so lock this one up and go necro the other one.

My apologies...I did search and browse around before I posted...just missed it somehow. Regarding gunpowder I can understand but technically many have made primitive explosives using magma and alcohol already.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:06:40 pm »

Well, mod in a reaction using saltpeter charcoal and sulphur. You can't blow shit up, but Toady (armok be with him) will be including AoEs soon, and then you can do whatever your little heart could wish for.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 07:01:03 pm »

My apologies...I did search and browse around before I posted...just missed it somehow.

A Good Tip:
Search your intended thread title.