Author Topic: Decker  (Read 2366 times)

R1ck

• Bay Watcher
  • Uninvited Guest
    • View Profile
Decker
« on: July 22, 2009, 01:15:06 pm »

It's the game of hacking fun!

Basically, the premise is that you're a poor, unknown hacker living in the future, but you have a cyberdeck, a device that allows you to easily hack into systems and mess around with them. So, you can get contracts to say steal a certain amount of files, to shut down a certain I/O node in the system, or even to destroy a system completely. Of course, the systems defenders will try to stop you at every turn. Eventually, you can get better programs, better hardware, and a better place to live, and you can become the most famous hacker in history.

The main website

Here's a screenshot from the system for pepsi cola. The bar on the left shows your loaded programs, on the right is the map, various status bars, and the main control pad, on the bottom is the message area, and in the center is the view screen, which shows the nondescript node that I was in. The game has pretty intuitive controls, but you're probably going to have to turn to the manual occasionally when you're getting started.
BTEAMHOB-Year 10 - It's POI'd to the extreme

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Decker
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 01:50:59 pm »

I'll be trying this this weekend. I hope they get the mood and the tension right like they did in Uplink. This looks more like an RPG though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 02:22:55 pm »

This is no Uplink. It's more akin to a hacking roguelike.

It's not bad by any stretch, but it was a bit flat when I last played it. I suppose I'll give it a look-see in case it's gotten more convoluted, though.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 02:52:27 pm »

This is no Uplink. It's more akin to a hacking roguelike.
It's either based on, or inspired by the Matrix (cyber-internet) from Shadowrun.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:09:56 pm »

Yeah that's for sure.

I used to love this game a few years back... Memories...

Singularity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:19:21 pm »

Oh yeah, I've played this game a couple times before.  Never really stuck with it, though.  It gets pretty repetitive after a point.  Maybe if I didn't insist on coding all my own chips and programs it'd be less boring... :P

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 04:35:56 pm »

Downloaded this just now. I'll see what its like.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 05:48:45 pm »

I put off playing this before becuase last time I went looking for a hacker game I was looking for "not-a-roguelike" but what the hell.

I'll see what its like too.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 06:52:34 pm »

I played this ages ago. It was great.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:43:43 pm »

Looks like a fun game, I'll give it a try either today or later this week.  Just curious, but how hard was the game for you when you first played?  I just want to know if there is a high learning curve.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:00:45 pm »

Used to play ages ago.

It is pretty repetitive--but so is Diablo, really.  And you get used to falling into certain routines (silence, smoke, attack, flee).

...It's still very comforting!

There's sadly not much variation in character build that you can do though.  You sorta have to build for the optimum strategies.  You can get by somewhat by ignoring your programming and chip-building up until near the end-game, but eventually you end up with a fairly balanced character just because that's how the skill point system works.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

insectcalm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 12:50:47 am »

I've been wanting to play this but put it on the backburner due to the vast amount of games I have to play. Do you need to know anything about computers to play? Unfortunately, I am an utter moran when it comes to stuff like that.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 01:57:08 am »

Just started playing it, and its pretty fun.  From what I see, it doesn't really take any knowledge of computers really since the programs you use while doing a mission are labeled so as to say what they do.  The only problem I have is that I can never get away without triggering an alarm.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 03:09:40 am »

The only problem I have is that I can never get away without triggering an alarm.
Get a better version of hide and deceive ASAP. Also make upgrading the stealth skill top priority.

It took me a while to figure that one out too. But lv2 is a BIG step up from lv1.

Luckk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 04:11:02 am »

I'll have to try that, I first upgraded my medic and smoke to 2 since I used those the most.  I hate how its starting to throw level three ICE at me when I still mostly only have level 1 things.  Is there anyway to make it so that I can use more programs in my deck without going to heavy since I'm only one point away from going into that?
Pages: [1] 2