Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: In need of a GameGuard-free MMO  (Read 7621 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: In need of a GameGuard-free MMO
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 12:13:14 pm »

The pick two thing is all too true.
Shoes...

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 12:57:15 pm »

Dofus.
Original french mmo with manga-like graphics and tactical turn based combat. You can play it for free forever, but won't get access to 90% of the game if you don't pay.
Played it for 2 years, give it a try.

There's also a sequel for it, wakfu, being developed, but its still far from release, but you may wanna look that up. EDIT: Closed beta.

Dofus looks very interesting. Nice art style, unusual combat mechanics... sort of makes me think of Legend of Mana, in terms of the backgrounds. That's always a good thing, because LoM was gorgeous, even by today's standards.

'Asda Story' what is this game? Its a big supermarket brand over here in Britain... let me demonstrate

I don't think so. I read somewhere that most people in Britain are pretty confused because of the non-relation between them. Still... that would be a fun premise for a game. Trapped inside the supermarket with no way out... four heroes must look deep inside themselves for the power to escape this commercial nightmare! Wield improvised weaponry! Defeat produce monsters! Escape, if you can! ASDA STORY. Coming 2012 for the Dreamcast and Phantom.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 01:01:35 pm »

Please, play our game in development:

Legend of Walmart: The Megastore of Legend
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:02 pm »

Dofus.
Original french mmo with manga-like graphics and tactical turn based combat. You can play it for free forever, but won't get access to 90% of the game if you don't pay.
Played it for 2 years, give it a try.

There's also a sequel for it, wakfu, being developed, but its still far from release, but you may wanna look that up. EDIT: Closed beta.

pilgrimboy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 05:18:31 pm »

I don't know about that.  They all eventually are boring unless you like to pride yourself in being better than others.  That seems to be the WOW friends I know.  They get so excited that they are better than others.

I have played WOW, LOTRO, Age of Conan, and Atlantica Online.  Atlantica Online, the free one in the list, gave me more enjoyment than the others except for WoW.
Regular writer at a totally non-related Christian blog, Pulling Weeds Out Of Potholes

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2009, 05:34:25 pm »

I don't know about that.  They all eventually are boring unless you like to pride yourself in being better than others.  That seems to be the WOW friends I know.  They get so excited that they are better than others.

I have played WOW, LOTRO, Age of Conan, and Atlantica Online.  Atlantica Online, the free one in the list, gave me more enjoyment than the others except for WoW.

Atlantica Online is pretty fun, and actually allows for character customization.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »

I think this is what makes MMO's so popular.  They are about competition, being better than the others, whether this is as a group or as an individual.  Everything else in the game eventually becomes a grind, you can't avoid that.  It's the social interaction that keeps players hooked.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2009, 08:27:54 pm »

Atlantica is damn fun, pvp is interesting too. Like all koreammos its a grindfest though.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2009, 11:11:29 pm »

Like all mmos its a grindfest though.
Slight alteration for truth.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 23, 2009, 11:13:26 pm »

Like all mmos its a grindfest though.
Slight alteration for truth.
Now now, there are some Western MMO's that are cool enough with their leveling curves to avoid such a remark.

Anything from Korea, though, is fair game for that rule. Even not RPG's or MMO's fall to this rule.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2009, 02:57:45 am »

I've checked out Runes of Magic yesterday and so far it looks good.
It has multi-classing, housing, pets, crafting, customization of clothes and armour by colour, "Wartiger & Friends" mounts,... Human seems to be the only race though, but that's not a big deal.

I really like the option to transfer item stats between items of the same time, so you don't have to switch your cool-looking sword or robe for a stronger one you find, you can just transfer the stats.  Costs RL money to get this ability, but I think that's fair enough.  they're not charging for gameplay.

Story seems a bit dull though, but if the grind is not too grindy I might be happy.

kutulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2009, 09:50:21 am »

Alright, I'm fucking fed up with GameGuard by nProtect, found in practically every MMO I try to play. Not only does it restart my computer whenever both it and another program that connects to the internet is running AND does the same with my Antivirus, it has Heur.Pck.Themida in it, and that prevents any program from opening when this bloody little shit is active.

Yeah, games like Mabinogi, Asda Story, Trickster, Maple Story, et cetera, HAVE A VIRUS BUILT IN.

Not that I disagree with your position in general, but this is incorrect. Themida isn't a virus, it's a very common utility that compresses executable code to prevent it from being reverse engineered.  Your virus scanner is just being retarded and flagging a perfectly legitimate -- albeit very annoying -- utility as a possibly virus.  Note: "Heur.Pck.Themida" means "Heuristic Detected Packer Themida running."  You running Comodo, by any chance?

Of course, I despise GameGuard for many other reasons, not the least of which is that it behaves like a rootkit and prevents me from running applications under VMWare or WINE.  Thankfully, it seems isolated mostly to the Asian developed MMOs, and (thank god!) NCSoft didn't build it into Guild Wars.  Other than Maple Story and Phantasy Star, I don't seem to be missing much.

--K
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 04:49:45 pm by kutulu »

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2009, 03:21:44 am »

I've checked out Runes of Magic yesterday and so far it looks good.
It has multi-classing, housing, pets, crafting, customization of clothes and armour by colour, "Wartiger & Friends" mounts,... Human seems to be the only race though, but that's not a big deal.

I really like the option to transfer item stats between items of the same time, so you don't have to switch your cool-looking sword or robe for a stronger one you find, you can just transfer the stats.  Costs RL money to get this ability, but I think that's fair enough.  they're not charging for gameplay.

Story seems a bit dull though, but if the grind is not too grindy I might be happy.

Yeah, but the problem is that with paying you can get an advantage over non-paying members. I've seen this in multiple browsergames, especially these damned Bigpoint ones. Tribal Wars however has a premium package which makes some things easier, but a premium user has no gameplay advantage over a non-premium player.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2009, 03:23:17 am »

I've been playing Wind Slayer by Outspark recently. I know they don't use GameGuard.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2009, 09:11:38 am »

I've been playing Wind Slayer by Outspark recently. I know they don't use GameGuard.
Isn't OutSpark the game company that has games questionably similar to what Nexon makes?
Pages: 1 [2] 3