Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: In need of a GameGuard-free MMO  (Read 7610 times)

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
In need of a GameGuard-free MMO
« on: July 22, 2009, 12:36:18 pm »

Alright, I'm fucking fed up with GameGuard by nProtect, found in practically every MMO I try to play. Not only does it restart my computer whenever both it and another program that connects to the internet is running AND does the same with my Antivirus, it has Heur.Pck.Themida in it, and that prevents any program from opening when this bloody little shit is active.

Yeah, games like Mabinogi, Asda Story, Trickster, Maple Story, et cetera, HAVE A VIRUS BUILT IN.

I have almost given up on MMORPGs, so this is a last ditch effort to find one that is worth playing. I will give you people the requirements of what I call a good MMO, and examples of ones I will not play.

Good MMOs must have -

• Decent graphics that don't require too much
  • Interesting and unique features
  • A Wiki
  • Must be available in the USA
  • Must be free to play, premium item shop optional
  • Must have a client download under 1 GB, preferably around 400-750 MB
  • Anime style graphics prefered

Games I will NOT try -

• Anything with nProtect, GameGuard, or other security programs by INCA
  • Runescape
  • Haven and Hearth
  • Puzzle Pirates
  • MUDs and all MUD variants
  • Anything commercial that has a private server available (I don't do torrents)
  • Illarion - they fucking hate me there

Games I have played that meet these criteria -

• ForumWarz
  • Wonderland
  • HRmaggedon

If you can find a free MMO for me along the lines that I have presented, thank you.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
Re: In need of a GameGuard-free MMO
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 12:59:13 pm »

I think Ryzom is clean. However, going to stop being free soon.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 01:02:09 pm »

Dofus.
Original french mmo with manga-like graphics and tactical turn based combat. You can play it for free forever, but won't get access to 90% of the game if you don't pay.
Played it for 2 years, give it a try.

There's also a sequel for it, wakfu, being developed, but its still far from release, but you may wanna look that up. EDIT: Closed beta.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:05:21 pm by Dakk »
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:10:25 pm »

There are a few games I can think of although your self-imposed 1 GB or less client size makes it trickier. If you don't mind a bit bigger game, Runes of Magic is a very solid game with an interesting spin on multi-classing and all the bells and whistles of regular retail MMOs and then some.

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 03:07:23 pm »

The only one of those that sounds good is Runes of Magic. I should revise what I meant -

Any game that requires you to pay for any game content outside of a premium item shop I won't play at all, ForumWarz being the exception.

Also, there is a reason for that limit on size. A 1 GB file would take me about three days to download (I tried it once, that's the speed I got). However, a 400-600 MB file takes me about two hours.

My internet connection is 768kb/s, and it's a bit screwy. Especially since GameGuard installed some kind of rootkit.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:08 pm »

Advice:
With a LOT of experience and a linux CD, you should be able to remove just about anything not too deeply ingrained in your PC.

Unless it added itself to essential files, it might be a self-protected system file that can be removed with an external tool or OS.
Linux can boot from CD, and some versions come with everything needed for internet access(Ubuntu at least) making it a good tool.

Otherwise you may need a reinstall, or a fancy removal guide.

Google is your friend!
Eh?
Eh!

dei

• Bay Watcher
  • Someone.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:33:54 pm »

I can find the instructions on removing GameGuard on the internet actually.

Considering though that without Asda Story I was bored out of my mind, I decided to actually reinstall it. I managed to, however, find two MMOs that fit my qualifications for the most part - La Tale and Mabinogi. However, it would take a long time to download both of those, so for now, until I get that second harddrive from my friend, I'm sticking with Asda Story, Wonderland, and possibly Trickster Online.

:3 I'm an MMO freak.

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:40:53 am »

Illarion actually sounds like it could be pretty good. Why do they hate you there?

Yeah, games like Mabinogi, Asda Story, Trickster, Maple Story, et cetera, HAVE A VIRUS BUILT IN.

A virus? Why would GameGuard come with a virus? And why on earth would you reinstall games that come with a virus knowing that they came with a virus? o_O

I unfortunately don't have any other suggestions about MMOs to try - I don't really like them much. Why not try some singleplayer games which provide a similar feel? Oblivion, with a bunch of good mods, for instance, if your computer can handle it. (I'd suggest looking at a mod list to start with, like ... huh, Firefox is showing a 'content encoding error' for arwen's oblivion mod list - well, maybe it's on archive.org or works in another web browser)
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 02:44:12 am »

A virus? Why would GameGuard come with a virus?

People stretch the definition of virus a bit

Which is kinda iffy but I can understand why. A long time ago there were only Viruses.

Now Spyware can bog your computer down even worse then many viri can.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2009, 02:47:41 am »

y3

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 03:29:21 am »

A virus? Why would GameGuard come with a virus?

People stretch the definition of virus a bit

Which is kinda iffy but I can understand why. A long time ago there were only Viruses.

Now Spyware can bog your computer down even worse then many viri can.

I don't think it's even a virus, just a false-positive.

It's still a terrible hack protection...thing. So bad.

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:36:09 am »

Alright, I'm fucking fed up with GameGuard by nProtect, found in practically every MMO I try to play. Not only does it restart my computer whenever both it and another program that connects to the internet is running AND does the same with my Antivirus, it has Heur.Pck.Themida in it, and that prevents any program from opening when this bloody little shit is active.

I have almost given up on MMORPGs, so this is a last ditch effort to find one that is worth playing. I will give you people the requirements of what I call a good MMO, and examples of ones I will not play.

Good MMOs must have -

• Decent graphics that don't require too much
  • Interesting and unique features
  • A Wiki
  • Must be available in the USA
  • Must be free to play, premium item shop optional
  • Must have a client download under 1 GB, preferably around 400-750 MB
  • Anime style graphics prefered

Games I will NOT try -

• Anything with nProtect, GameGuard, or other security programs by INCA
  • Runescape
  • Haven and Hearth
  • Puzzle Pirates
  • MUDs and all MUD variants
  • Anything commercial that has a private server available (I don't do torrents)
  • Illarion - they fucking hate me there

Games I have played that meet these criteria -

• ForumWarz
  • Wonderland
  • HRmaggedon

If you can find a free MMO for me along the lines that I have presented, thank you.

Shit man. If you're getting addicted with any crappy MMORPG, pleae do so with at least a multimillion dollar production. World of Warcraft or Lineage 2 or something like that. Generally, choose two:
(  ) Good
(  ) Free
(  ) MMORPG
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 03:38:24 am »

DANG you can't chose a Good Free MMORPG?

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 05:36:13 am »

I'd like a Good Free, though.  Sounds fun!

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 07:00:06 am »

'Asda Story' what is this game? Its a big supermarket brand over here in Britain... let me demonstrate

Is it a game where you just shop all day for cheaper things?
Pages: [1] 2 3