Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I haven't had this much Fun in a LONG time  (Read 1190 times)

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I haven't had this much Fun in a LONG time
« on: July 22, 2009, 10:56:40 am »

I finally found The Spot I've Always Wanted. An easy-to-find magma pipe, river, underground river, flux stone and much, much more. I was really exited about building this particular fortress: I really loved to try out this new "literally build fortress around a magma pipe" -idea I had got. I know, not a revolutionary idea, but all my previous fortresses had been either complete failures or just really, really boring to play thanks to very bad design & layout.

I embarked, started making fortress, everything was fine. Just got farm started up, magma re-directed so I could make magma smelters/forges and stuff, booze/barrel production going on, housing for every dwarf. First caravan visits and I make very good trades thanks to well crafted mechanisms. I already get my first immigrants and population goes up to 14 dwarves. Things are going well.

Then I get "A vile force of darkness has arrived!" (or whatever the siege message is). Oh shit, I completely forgot to disable the orc mod before I created this world & embarked! I have no emergency fortress sealing mechanisms, no raising bridges, moats, walls or even DOORS that I could forbid. Only thing between the massive orcish horde and my 14 civialian dwarves are stone-fall traps, 5x3 squares in size. I draft all dwarves and position them in same place for a last stand. Orcs run over the traps like nothing happened and proceed to slaughter every living dwarf. "Your strenght has broken" (or whatever the "YOU LOSE!" -message is).

At first I'm pissed at myself for forgetting whole orc mod, and then bit depressed over losing a very good spot and starting fortress. Then I remember a feature I have never ever used before: (R)eclaim fortress. Yes, I have never reclaimed a fortress before, so I guess you could call this a milestone for me. Anyway, at first I'm amazed. What? SEVENTY dwarves instead of my 14? And ALL of them trained soldiers? Nice! And what? :o I can buy new items too? Very nice. But first time reclaiming and all, of course I manage to fuck things up completely.

First of all, I buy anvil. I had already brought 1 anvil with me on 1st embark, and bought a 2nd anvil from caravan but I didn't know if those would still be there when I arrived with my brand new army. I buy some war dogs and other Total Waste of Points things. MISTAKE. Anyway, I arrive on the scene, I charge with my army into the fortress, and...nothing. There's no-one in sight. Only a couple of orcs on (u)nit screen, and they are scattered all over the map: no threat for me. So I make all dwarves as civilians (cool! a whole bunch of multi-skilled dwarves!) and start the process of re-building fortress. I make new stockpiles, command all workshops to start building lots of stuff, and then I start the process of reclaiming items. Manually one-by-one. I never thought of using the mass-reclaim tool. So I search the map for items like barrels, remaining copper picks and stuff like that. Then I look at "idle" -indicator and it seems abnormally high. I thought I made you guys do some useful stuff. Oh shit #2.

First of all, the so-called "miners" didn't have their "mining"-labor activated. Woopie. And for some reason workshops are not working. Why are they not working? :-[ I pause the game and start searching dwarf-wikipedia for clues. I bump into info about mass-reclaiming, and how it can be used to reclaim objects and buildings. What? You have to reclaim buildings too? Oops. So I manage to reclaim the buildings, but it's all too late. No new beds have been built. No new living quarters have been mined, no new food has been farmed, no new booze has been built, no new picks have been built. I notice booze has ran out, food is almost out too. Dwarves are thirsty and REALLY PISSED. All 70, military trained and fully armed. Then the new orc invasion arrives. I draft every single dwarf and this triggers a massive wave of dwarves tantruming, enraging, insane or otherwise just plain pissed & crazy. Somehow I manage to kill the orcs, but by this time my own drwarves have pretty much killed each other, leaving me with only bit over 20 insane or enraged dwarves. So, I finally experienced my first infamous Tantrum Spiral. Time to abondon fortress and re-claim. And this time I'll do it right.

And so I have. Nothing exiting to tell here. I bought huge piles of food/drinks/wood, I got things back up & running. And most important of all: I built a defence to repel any future orc invasions. It took total of 2 reclaims, but this time my dwarves haven't gone insane. Here's a small pic of my current fortress :) It's nothing special compared to what I see/read about on these forums, but it's just to show what I fought for all this time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

For a while I was starting to get bored with this game but this chain of events really showed me how FUN this game can be (no sarcasm here, btw).

Sorry for all this text, I just felt I should share.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:02:58 am by Mandaril »
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: I haven't had this much Fun in a LONG time
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2009, 11:03:51 am »

Thanks for sharing. I have only reclaimed once and it was horrible. I'll keep this in mind for my next one.

P.S. 2x2 bedrooms without tables and chairs? You're a dick to your dwarves.:D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2009, 11:07:07 am »

Quick question, I've seen the orc mod mentioned several times, is it the same one listed in the mods list in the DF Modding forum? I think I need something new to test my superdwarf project on.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 11:12:57 am »

Thanks for sharing. I have only reclaimed once and it was horrible. I'll keep this in mind for my next one.

P.S. 2x2 bedrooms without tables and chairs? You're a dick to your dwarves.:D

Hehe, it's just a temporary solutions. I needed to QUICKLY build living quarters for 70 dwarves so didn't have time for fancy stuff. Fancy stuff follows bit later! Until then, I hope my Brand New Legendary Meeting Hall will keep them occupied & happy until I can do better.

And yes, it's the same orc mod listed in the mod list here. It's quite fun, but may require creating new world to work.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 11:15:20 am »

ah. I've never even considered giving my dwarves less than 25 tiles of room space :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 11:22:57 am »

Only thing between the massive orcish horde and my 14 civialian dwarves are stone-fall traps, 5x3 squares in size. I draft all dwarves and position them in same place for a last stand. Orcs run over the traps like nothing happened and proceed to slaughter every living dwarf.

Remove TRAPAVOID from the Orc entry in your raws. Also, the default Orcs have LOCKPICKER, I think, so forbidden doors wouldn't have done you any good.

In my human fortress, 22 Humans were wiped out by repeated Elven ambushes (I have all races set without CAN_SPEAK, and active during ALL seasons.)

Reclaimed, and $127,000 worth of clothing and armor was scattered throughout the map. The reclaim party has managed to clean up the fort and really turn things around. I have magma, an aquifier for water, and more Steel than I know what do to with. Things are looking up.

...I still get a ~20 elf ambush every few seasons, but whatever. I'll wipe out the entire elven population if I have to.

Retales

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 01:16:24 pm »

I had a similar experience reclaiming the fort Lusterlens. First I had problems providing enough food for the reclaim group, which turned the attempt into a failure. I found out that all the dwarves in the reclaim groups are good friends with eachother, so losing a few will easily cause a lot of unhappiness and tantrums.
Quote from: roundedge link=topic=27527.msg362681#msg362681
And so, little dwarfling if to mayor you rise
never forget to heed this advice
when it's items outdoors, no matter how small
remember remember to forbid them all.
GENERATION 31:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 02:47:25 pm »

This sounds like great fun. Thanks for sharing the story, gave me a chuckle.

I removed trapavoid from my orcs. Should probably remove lockpicker too but I never rely on traps and forbidden doors to keep things at bay. After my first failure in the orc mod, I think I might build more traps this time.

What exactly does CAN_SPEAK do?
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Lamp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • isock.deviantart.com
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 03:41:36 pm »

Milga, it does exactly as it sounds, it allows the creature to speak. But when creatures can't speak they are rather hostile and they can't make alliances so they will constantly be at war with nearly everyone.
I would like to point out that this is not DF 3.0, but DF 0.3.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 06:22:51 pm »

I kind of guessed what it did. I guess what I meant to ask was what effect it had. But you answered that question too. Thanks Lamp!
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

durt101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 11:23:18 pm »

Something you should try on your fortress:
Magma doesn't move diagonally. Trust me.  :D