Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wealth condensing: the late-game project  (Read 1340 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wealth condensing: the late-game project
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:31:54 pm »

So life is pretty boring in the 20 year fort.  The fort is the Mountainhome (and the king died to massive stupidity) so the dwarf traders bring whatever they want.

This usually consists of non-local metal bars, lots of wood, various steel items (crafts, bolts, and shields/armor), and plump helmets.

So out of curiousity I decided not to buy any of the plump helmets or steel items (I really need the metals and wood) to see if they'd bring something better.  Apparently not, the next caravan was the exact same mix.

My broker is legendary so I am wondering if I am playing it smart trading the dwarves stacks of goblin crap at favorable rates for steel items or not.  Eventually the humans do want various gear badly and pay well, but its not worth keeping around.

So is it worthwhile trading for slightly better than average steel items to condense space, or am I just fooling myself?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Wealth condensing: the late-game project
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:08:22 pm »

Considering the only real ways to take care of the gobbo crap is atom smasher, quantum stockpile, or trading them, trading it away isn't too bad an idea.

I usually order metal bars (opens up a ton of weight room, like 100,000. Makes it easy to sell armor bins), rare gems, weapons (stick the valuable ones in a weapon trap), plants (stacks of 5 make it good for brewing), and booze (stacks of 25, good for cooking).

Them I just melt the non-useful metal and stud them onto things.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:33:40 pm »

Given how easy wealth is to generate if you have a good cook, you may as well vastly overpay the merchants. What else are you gonna do with 'em? And that way they'll bring more wagons next time.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:34:06 pm »

No matter how much I overpay, I only ever get 6 wagons and 6 oxen.  I think its from all the weight of wood and bars.

The steel stuff the dwarves sell is usually worth more than 1 siege worth of goblin junk.  I'm more speaking along the lines of trading in massive amounts of stone crafts and plant fiber clothing for more expensive stuff.

(And the 600 dwarfbuck pieces of goblin gear ain't half bad for storing wealth)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 02:48:47 pm »

I'm trying to condense wealth by decorating everything in every way possible.

I've built elaborate farms to breed animals, then explode them for bone production. Each object can be decorated with at least 4 types of bone, along with iron, green glass, and silk cloth.

Its my goal to have every object with a full page of description from all of the decorations.  :D

Also, at this point I don't make any additional crafts. I just chucked about 300 totems into the magma to make room. This is after donating about 5 million dwarfbucks worth of stuff to various caravans.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 03:12:17 pm »

I'd probably do the bone decorating if my army didn't need so many practice bolts.

Or order gems from the dwarf merchants if, you know, the Mountainhome was still allowed to order stuff  ::)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 03:29:36 pm »

I don't use practice bolts myself. I prefer live-fire training.  :D

Also, to expedite bone production, I prefer dwarves with swords or axes. A crossbow kill tends to not produce any gore. But if limbs are being chopped off, the limbs will rot into a single bone. But this is a separate stack, and 1 stack of bones is 1 decoration, regardless of how many bones are in the stack.

So if you explode a goblin, you can do 6 decorations. If you just shoot the goblin, you can do 1 decoration.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 08:51:59 pm »

but if you shoot the goblin, you can make more bone bolts.:D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:59:58 pm »

But if you hack him to pieces, you get a maximum of eight limb pieces and a lower body, as well as six bones from the corpse.

And you get the delightful spectacle of rag-clad haulers dragging severed limbs off the battlefield.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 12:33:14 pm »

Considering the only real ways to take care of the gobbo crap is atom smasher, quantum stockpile, or trading them

You forgot 'magma'.  ;D
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.