Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Things that just feel wrong.  (Read 1287 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Things that just feel wrong.
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:54:40 pm »

So. I had an elven caravan just now.

Six pack animals. A few berries, some unwearable clothing, wooden trinkets, some ropes, a few bags, some barrels, and wood. Lots and lots and lots of wood.
The elves are actually being USEFUL. What the hell? This ain't right! My elf drowner hasn't seen use since the first spring.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Shima

• Bay Watcher
  • Time to go fishing, lads.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that just feel wrong.
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:01:47 pm »

The Elves are actually capitalists.  They ban woodcutting and plant/animal products so that they can sell you that stuff at jacked up prices.  It's a monopoly!  Fight back, raze the forest and replace your stone furniture with wood!
(giant worm leather coat)
Weight: 718238Γ
Owner: Udil Evonudil, Planter

Oh Armok, the spice.

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:18:32 pm »

Clearly, the Elves have decided that the best way to deal with the dwarves is to appease them to the point of deforesting their own lands.

Kill them for being brown-nosers.

Just feels wrong, eh... Human liason gives birth, abandons the child, who then wanders about the construction site of my blood-filled lake. Were there any justice, I'd raise the girl as a dwarf and give her a fake beard made from the facial hair of a slain titan.

I've also had a Baroness who gave no mandates for anything but bracelets and idols, and didn't try to bar their export for 5 years straight. Ruined a perfectly good opportunity to test the 'falling chandelier' noble trap (Crystal glass floor with gold statues suspended 4z levels over the dining area).  Fortunately, the Baron consort kept demanding dragon bone items, and was tragically impaled and crushed and impaled again after a legendary armorer was beaten to death for a mandate violation. Poor maintenance was suspected. 

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:40:03 pm »

The Elves are actually capitalists.  They ban woodcutting and plant/animal products so that they can sell you that stuff at jacked up prices.  It's a monopoly!  Fight back, raze the forest and replace your stone furniture with wood!

There is no forest. It's a desert next to a mountain.

That gets rain three seasons out of four...
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 07:59:33 pm »

And my humie traders turned into elves. They brought loads and loads of leather and cloth and almost nothing else.

*grumble*

Fed them to the magma, of course. The next ones brought more useful stuff.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:00:08 pm »

hmm. I've never made an elf drowning trap, but I'm tempted, since I have to dig out some space to get the brook water to my well site anyway...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:57:44 pm »

Those are always fun. Just make sure to completely seal the depot so you don't leak, and remember that brooks can drain infinite water.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 03:50:59 am »

Hm, to be honest, I'm quite fond of elves; they bring me useful creatures in cages. Though I have to admit, I've never had elves making requests or other signs of obscene behaviour. They just come, sell me things (or get robbed), and leave.
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

Garfblarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 04:03:17 am »

Hm, to be honest, I'm quite fond of elves; they bring me useful creatures in cages. Though I have to admit, I've never had elves making requests or other signs of obscene behaviour. They just come, sell me things (or get robbed), and leave.

My feelings for some time, until they started trying to limit how many trees I cut down. I always just tell them "Yeah... hundred trees? Naw, sure dude, that's cool... Ah... See you next spring?" And then continue tree-choppy antics as usual. Have yet to be elfsieged, surprisingly enough.

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 05:09:27 am »

I think there reaction is based on how many logs you have in your stockpile now how many trees get cut down. Meaning Clear Cut all you want so long as you use it.

/MayBeWrong
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 06:37:55 am »

The above could be correct, I brought 400 logs on embark on a treeless map, and the elve havnt shown up with as much as a toothpick of wood.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 07:46:08 am »

So. I had an elven caravan just now.

Six pack animals. A few berries, some unwearable clothing, wooden trinkets, some ropes, a few bags, some barrels, and wood. Lots and lots and lots of wood.
The elves are actually being USEFUL. What the hell? This ain't right! My elf drowner hasn't seen use since the first spring.

My latest elven caravan also carried useful stuff this year, including a tame turtle and two-legged rhino lizard for my zoo. I was quite surprised that they didn't just bring 30 bins of rope reed cloth like they had been doing for the past 8 years - I guess they got the message I "sent" them last year when I moved their trade depot into my obsidian factory and incinerated them.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 08:51:23 am »

I think there reaction is based on how many logs you have in your stockpile now how many trees get cut down. Meaning Clear Cut all you want so long as you use it.

/MayBeWrong
Sounds about right.  On a map I'm currently using I started with about 50% 'tree-viable' ground (the eastern half of the zone), and since then I've felled trees from and dug out an area of 125*125 tiles in size, which is roughly half of that tree-viable area, with a decent density of trees (enough so that wagons would ned to thread their way round long detours, though not a show-stopper).  I've also felled trees from outside of the digging area, given that half way through the process I'd removed and used trees and wanted more wood (for my hundreds of wooden cages I required at the time) but only saplings existed on the double-height soils that still hadn't been removed at that stage.

All in all, I've commited environmental vandalism on a massive scales, and yet the elven traders are still on about "my more ethical works",  with nary a sign of any moaning diplomat.  It may have helped that at one point (when I had managed to get a large amount of excess logs and no longer needed any specific wooden goods, at that time) that I extended my external enclave's wooden walls.  As a side-effect to the result of getting the extra protection, I also no longer had littering/stockpiled logs not currently used.  (Since then I have dismantled the walls and replaced them with stone; partly for aesthetic reasons, and partly to recover the wood to keep up with my carpenter's requirements.)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 11:13:05 am »

I embarked on a treeless map with a mere 30 tower caps, enough to make beds for all my dwarves, plus the first wave of immigrants. Therefore I'm going to be buying wood off of everyone (elves included) just to meet my fortress demands. Then once I've bought all the wood I want, I'll drown the arseholes and take it all back. When the next caravan arrives, I'll offer them so many goods that the elves can't help but like me again.

rinse, repeat.

Stupid elves...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.