Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Adjust the morale bonus to production?

Give us more labour, we'll take the additional food cost.
- 0 (0%)
Reduce construction costs so we can get labour benefits without extra food costs.
- 1 (25%)
Keep it as it is; increasing goods production without additional food cost.
- 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Brave New World - Discussion Thread  (Read 14073 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Signups
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:10 am »

I've literally got the exact same land I got in the last game.  :-\

Holy crap, really?  Changed.  You're on top of a narrow mountain now instead.

Also, I switched savannah for wasteland because you said the location was nutrient-poor, whereas plains are probably one of the more bountiful types.

Also, yes.  Even simple shortbows have a range advantage of 3 (which in my combat sims means basically slaughter of any infantry they go up against).  Javelins give you an advantage over infantry, but not one that's gamebreaking for an entry-level tech.

Not here Vangio.

Also, yes here, for discussion of stuffs like that.

Not immediately relevant, but scripting out the display portions for the game now that most of the core guts are done.  Here's an update screen (before any terrain assignments, calculations etc are done).

Spoiler: The State of Su Talan (click to show/hide)

Also, tweaked the Su Talans so their unit type is ranger and gave them a bonus to Stealth instead of Attack (successful stealth strike at the start of the battle is an auto-hit with extra damage).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 10:24:40 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Discussion Thread
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 11:05:49 am »

The two Underelves circled eachother looking for a weak spot.When Kulin saw it he lunged and drove his spear into the heart of his opponet, the old Emperor. Kulin twisted it once for good measure before pulling it out. He went to the center of the ring and used the still breathing body of his father as a poduim,
"My people, the old king was weak and powerless.I am going to bring a new age of war and killing to our kind! The Underelven empire will destroy the inferior races and inslave them under our spears!"
He ordered 4000 elves to work on the mushroom farms in town(4 units to square 1 to work farms).
He ordered four thousand to begin mining out stone for future construction.(4 units to mine out south of the town.)
He then made 2000 people a miltia,To raid.

My fault for not updating the rules yet, here.  You can only use 1 labour to work on the mushroom farm in the town itself (generating 3 food).  Additional food will have to be obtained from working food-producing tiles (the hills, forest, plains and the cave square with a river on it) and you can only assign 1 labour to each tile. 

For optimum food production, I suggest putting labour on tiles 2, 5 and C (the river tiles) to generate a total of 6 food, 1 wool and 1 stone.  With the additional 3 food from your mushroom farm, that's 9 food produced already, so you only need to use one or two more labour to get enough food to survive this turn (suggest on the forest tile or one of the hills).

That's 5-6 units assigned to food labour.  Any remainder can be used on buildings, projects or (if you build a Hall of Learning) research.

You can only produce one unit of unarmed raiders in a turn (and send them out to raid, if you wish), but you will need to devote labour towards producing any weapons or armour for them if you wish them to go out raiding armed.  Fielding a unit will take 100 population either way.

So basically... if you assign 6 people to food on the most productive squares, 4 people to stonemining and then use unarmed conscripts to do your raiding, it should about work as you've described.

Edit:  The rules on the RP thread have been updated (read: mostly copied from AoR) for reference.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 11:26:25 am by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 12:12:18 pm »

Not here Vangio.

Also, yes here, for discussion of stuffs like that.

Vanigo edited, his post used to be his turn, we were just saying it went in the RP thread :)

filiusenox raises a good point in hi RP post though, do we know where the other races are, or does the black around our regions represent "unexplored" like in civ games? It occurred to me as I was writing mine but I forgot to ask. I'm also interested in the mechanics of raiding, especially since I may not draft military immediately, can undrafted citizens defend themselves? Or will 100 unarmed conscripts just walk all over 10000 citizens (again, sorta like the civ games).

Sorry if any of that is supposed to be apparent, I haven't really followed AoR and I can't really catch up on it this morning. Also, not your fault, we were probably jumping the gun on our turns there but apparently we're eager to get started  ;)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 12:14:37 pm »

Filius:  Is this closer to what you're after?

That's 8 units assigned.  Fielding the troops themselves does not take labour (equipping them will), so you don't need to spend a labour point on that.  You don't know where the Yetis are yet (or in fact of the existence of any of the other players), but you can send the raiders out to explore and take advantage of any targets they find.  If you attach the explorer to them, they'll cover more ground looking for targets.  If you attach the general to them, they'll have a better attack bonus if they find any targets.

Either way, you have 2 labour spare.  You can assign them to tiles to work or possibly try building an improvement with some of that stone you're mining out.  Up to you.

Also, as a general point:  Should units drafted on a turn be allowed to be deployed on the same turn?  Or should it wait 'til the turn after?  In AoR you had to wait for weapon production, but I'm currently allowing people to field untrained armies quickly.

Edit for clarification:

Nobody knows of the existence of the other players just yet.  The black is just filler, but as of Turn One it is also the extent of your map.  Exploration will help fill in that detail, but you won't get actual maps until someone researched Mapmaking.

I'm currently tweaking the exploration/raiding mechanics.  In a raid, 100 conscripts will walk over 10k citizens (but if there have been no units drafted that turn by the defending town, they will automatically generate conscripts of their own) for the purposes of raiding.  Raiders don't stick around, they just get in, nick stuff, and get out again.  Conquest is probably going to require a whole different mechanic.

As a rule of thumb, though, I will probably set raiders to loot up to 3 goods from a town (per raiding unit).  I haven't scripted maximum looting capacity into units yet, though.  Right now, if units are carrying any goods when they lose a battle in the field, the loot drops to the battlefield and can be picked up by the victors (or anyone going there to salvage).  I may add a 'looting' stat if there's interest in greater or lesser looting power.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:23:44 pm by Iituem »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 03:10:02 pm »

"Loot" stat now in place and changed Tylon natural advantage from better attacks to bigger swag bags (3 instead of the base of 2).  Also a new basic item available: backpacks (requires leather, increases loot capacity by one).

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 04:28:22 pm »

I was thinking about how my civilization's magic worked. How's this?

While they were in the Old World, the Magerninas tapped into arcane leylines to power their spells. They found none in the new world, and so they have to spend their own mana on spells. Their own mana is rather limited, and replenished by sleep or meditation. If they spend too much mana, they faint.

I assume useable magic will work similar to how it does in AoR?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 05:56:38 pm »

Hey, does my square 6 have river or not? I'm not really sure, just looking at the map.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2009, 05:59:06 pm »

That seems acceptable, though I'd like to make a DM ruling on another reason arcane magic is vastly lessened as well as the issue of power sources.

Complexity.  If you imagine magic as working like programming (object-oriented), you program a block of code and then reuse it again and again without going back to check on it.  Eventually you get a class of programmers that is so used to dealing with the higher order languages, only a minority can work in the basic programming language upon which these are based.

I mean, how many of us can read machine code?

Well, that's akin to how magic worked in the old world.  Mages had constructed systems that made casting magic so very much easier by automating or streamlining the basic processes that nobody thought of them.  Only now, that doesn't exist.  Magic has been brought crashing back to square one.

So as well as not being able to power fireballs, mages are having fun trying to fit together all the basics of actually creating fire from nothing (or even fire from fuel).

What this means in game terms:  You'll be doing quite a bit of research to get magic working, and maybe even constructing a few projects as well.  However, it will be worth it.

(The non-arcane casters will have similar trials to overcome.)

Alright, loading everyone's actions into the machine.  Once Strife's posted I'll be ready to crank out results.  If that isn't by morning my time, though, it won't be 'til late afternoon or evening GMT (tomorrow is busy throughout the day).

Vanigo:  Nnno, sorry.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2009, 06:38:14 pm »

Just a quick idea/suggestion about conquest, I think morale should determine how many citizens rise up to defend their home (as unarmed conscripts), perhaps Morale*10%, since morale is a number in the 1-10 range (or perhaps *5, 10 might be little much). Or at least, that's how I would do it. I certainly won't second guess whatever you decide.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:42:37 pm by kinseti »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2009, 01:14:25 pm »

Okay, everyone's turns are into the program to be calculated, short of Strife.  Once we find out what the Zefies are up to, it'll churn out a response.

Also, fair warning to you, Nirur:  Irrigation is technology dependent in this game (you need to research Farming), so you can't irrigate land yet.  You could dig a quarry, since you have construction.

If that seems harsh... consider it this way; you're a nation of wizards who are so used to having spells and unseen servants do their manual labour for them, actually figuring out how to survive on more than just foraging from the land is proving a lesson in itself.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2009, 01:33:57 pm »

Oops, I completely missed that, thanks. I changed my turn so one of the labor units for irrigation is now working a forest, and the other is helping with research.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 24, 2009, 03:50:09 pm »

Made some more adjustments, will be reflected in Rules page later:

Perishables

Perishable items are either goods that have a short shelf-life (e.g. food) or goods/services that possess a rather transient nature (e.g. spirituality).  Perishable goods require special buildings to be constructed to be stored, or they are destroyed at the end of the turn.

For example, food requires the production of granaries (Construction) or similar buildings.  Spirituality requires the production of a scriptorium, which requires the discovery of Scripture, requiring both Writing and either Animism or Oral Tradition to research.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 03:54:53 pm by Iituem »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2009, 06:01:06 pm »

I like the idea of a shrine doing less for bigger populations, but I find storing the luxury produced by a graveyard in book form, to be consumed later, to be strange. Did you drop the idea of staffing shrines for a bonus, or do they have to be staffed to do anything at all?

What is to become of the procrastinating blobs of fluff?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2009, 06:07:28 pm »

What is to become of the procrastinating blobs of fluff?

Yeah, I was starting to wonder. Checking his profile, though, he hasn't made any posts in the last 2 days, so he might have a good excuse.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2009, 06:49:21 pm »

Vacation. This is a test post. Gimee a sec.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9