Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Adjust the morale bonus to production?

Give us more labour, we'll take the additional food cost.
- 0 (0%)
Reduce construction costs so we can get labour benefits without extra food costs.
- 1 (25%)
Keep it as it is; increasing goods production without additional food cost.
- 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Brave New World - Discussion Thread  (Read 14054 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Discussion Thread
« Reply #90 on: August 01, 2009, 06:42:06 am »

Interesting balance mechanic. Will we be able to, say, replace half the veterens in a unit with rookies to reduce xp and upkeep requirements?

How much more does range or speed cost then other stats?

Edit to avoid double posting: The status text thinks I'm setting aside 2 units of clothing as luxuries. The only unit of clothing I had was from the first turn I encountered the villages.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:42:08 pm by Nirur Torir »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 01, 2009, 07:34:14 pm »

That's the maximum amount to be set aside.  If you have less than that, it uses less than that.  I tend to set luxuries to the max the city would use even if the city doesn't produce that much, unless told to do otherwise.

Range is worth double the normal stat value, Move is worth triple.  The reasoning is that range can get you free attacks, but enough move can make you invulnerable regardless of your other stats (hit and run tactics).  Loot capacity is not factored in either way.

Sorry, no mixing up units per se.  You can unequip the weaponry from the veteran unit and give it to the rookies instead.  That should reduce veteran cost (and strength) and increase rookie cost/strength consummately.  Or you can just disarm your veterans and weaken/cheapen them as well.  Be aware that range, move and loot cannot be upgraded by gaining experience, whereas all other stats can.

Surrender mechanics (as Dias has demonstrated) are now in and at full capacity.  Right now, units will only surrender outright if they are completely outpaced by a unit with a significant movement/range advantage (i.e. no matter how much they run they will not be able to escape, and cannot strike back either) or if their chances of survival/victory drop below a certain breaking point.

That breaking point is currently set to 20% likelihood of making it out of the conflict alive.  At lower than 20% survival, units will flee.  You can set the breaking point for your units to higher or lower if you wish, but this is also the point where they will just start fleeing from the conflict if they can successfully escape.

It was 22%, but when I ran a pre-turn sim of what would happen when Tiger's raiders met a lone unit of Tylonese raiders (tip, filius: stock up on units for a couple of turns until you have your full complement of 3 units if you plan on taking on Tiger again, otherwise explore in a different direction and try raiding someone else - making the military school will allow you to recruit two units a turn) the Tylonese raiders immediately defected to Tiger because they were that outclassed from the very beginning.

In retrospect, that might have been the smart thing to do after all.  The fact that I actually named them should've been a clue as to their relative power, but Tiger's current stats (bear in mind, after taking the spears from the Tylonese) are as follows.

Tiger's raiders: A1/D0/M1/N1/R1/S1/F3/H4/C4/L3

They can kill in one hit because they got lucky levelling up, but they actually had a disadvantage on to-hit against the Tylonese defenders in that fight (who had +2 attack from spears/general and +1 defence from the local terrain).

Two equally-equipped and experienced units of the same type start combat with a 42% chance of success each (because defenders are favoured in combat calculations).  As units get wounded or allies abandon them, this changes (because it takes into account the total disposition of forces).  Fleeing and surrendered units are not taken into account.

You can set units to flee at 0% (that is, never surrender).  They will quite happily fight to the death, but expect it to happen quite a bit if you're putting them in that sort of situation.  The surrender/flight mechanics are there to (usually) protect your soldiers' lives.

Not in yet, but eventually along the same lines; bribery of units.  That'll probably require Diplomacy or somesuch.  Maybe a downpayment of two or three times their upkeep in Wealth should do it.

Edit:  Additionally, horse farm retconned to tile J.  Makes no balance difference, so I'm allowing it.

Edit 2:  Voting locked; system stays as it is with current bonuses to production.  I'll work on updating the status screen to reflect said bonuses properly.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 07:42:51 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 05, 2009, 05:22:20 pm »

Wait, if we can tell our units to fight to the death, what does nerve do?

Also, get cracking, Strife and Felusinox! We're all waiting on you!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 06, 2009, 05:23:07 am »

Wait, if we can tell our units to fight to the death, what does nerve do?

Off the top of my head (none of my notes here right now, not at home, no access to my data), nerve also determines the likelihood of screwing up tactical manoeuvres relating to having troops hold their position; on a nerve failure they may advance or retreat when it would either lose them their advantage or put them in danger (a big feature of hit and run tactics is when to move and when to stay still).

When they're coded in (probably around the time someone researches Diplomacy and it becomes necessary), Nerve will also have an effect on loyalty (how hard troops are to buy off).  Right now they have a loyalty effect if you can't afford to upkeep them - if you fail to pay units they no longer disband but instead make a Nerve check or turn into raiders (raiders inside your city, potentially).

Finally, if we get a fear or morale based combat system in later (illusion magic, psionics?  Who knows) Nerve will probably replace either Attack or Defence in that combat type (a la Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri).

Dev log in OP to be updated when I get back home - done some minor changes to exploration and have a semi-working trade route system established (which was a bleeding pain to get even half right and may still have one or two bugs).  Also fixed an unnoticed bug with clothiers' workshops producing clothes without consuming wool.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2009, 06:54:35 am »

5/6 people have posted. Turn?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 08, 2009, 03:13:08 am »

Will come this evening.  A couple of notes first.

The next two weeks, I am away in Spain.  I've made posts in my various storytelling things to relate to that, so there's one here; I will likely only have internet access once per day for no more than 30 minutes or so.  As such, expect 1 day response delays between all posts - I will copy out any story posts into wordpad files and take them home to my laptop there to work on.

Second, Emperor Johnathan has informed me that he has now quit the game - Dias is going to either vanish or go into AI mode (and I'll stop reporting on it until one of you comes into contact with it if that happens).  This also means a slot has now opened.

Priority to Wimdit etc who posted immediately after in the first round, but really whomever gets a full city/culture description up here first and is ready to hold to the rather hectic update schedule.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 08, 2009, 07:06:55 am »

Priority to Wimdit etc who posted immediately after in the first round, but really whomever gets a full city/culture description up here first and is ready to hold to the rather hectic update schedule.

I've got BotG to keep me occupied at the moment, and, for various reasons, I find it somewhat challenging even to keep up with that; this is to say nothing of my languishing SMAC LP which I haven't updated in two weeks. I think someone else should probably take this spot.

Man, I'm starting to sound like, well, everyone who is late with updating their whatever.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2009, 02:03:30 pm »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2009, 02:23:55 pm »

[OK on hiatus for one week - RL situation unexpectedly busy, only have time to maintain regular updates on one of my stories, so despite the fact it actually has less readers I had to give Violet Water Beast the priority.  Olonkulet will return soon.]

Hopefully this will return soon as well.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 05:36:54 am »

Will come this evening.

...or so I thought, at any rate.  Barring a brief 10 minute sojourn last thing at night in a desperate effort to make update on the 'blog, this is the first time I've been able to sit down and get any net access here in Spain.  The bleeding internet cafe down the road is lacking the rather important aspect of an internet connection, so I've had to come all the way down to town to get access.

Holidays are tiring, stressful and hectic occasions which serve primarily to make you appreciate how much nicer it was at home where you had privacy and simple access to friends and work.

Yeah, I don't go on holiday often.  Sorry for the comparatively limited update today, but I did all the work on this turn before leaving but didn't have time/opportunity to post then.  I don't have access to the program right now to print out turn stocks etc, but they are basically as predicted.  It's a very low quality turn I know, but I am severely limited on what I can do from here.

Oh, and all the bloody keyboards are different too.  Grrr.

(The fact that I have to append useless information to the end of this post to actually submit it due to the post filter is hardly improving my mood either, by the by.  I never like rushing things, this included.)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 11:39:22 am »

Holidays are tiring, stressful and hectic occasions which serve primarily to make you appreciate how much nicer it was at home where you had privacy and simple access to friends and work.

Heh, I agree. Hope you're having fun though. So did Strife drop out too, or is he just neglecting this while he's on vacation with plans to return?

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2009, 03:19:32 pm »

Yay, a new turn! ...except i don't know how much labor I have. Or what stats my units have now. I guess you didn't really have enough time.

By the way, do captured units have loyalty issues? It seems like they would...
Oh, and I guess my exploring units, having stopped in the wilderness, are slowly losing supply? How long will they need to stay in town to resupply?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 14, 2009, 01:33:35 pm »

I really didn't.  Or now, for that matter.  Your units didn't gain any stats, Vanigo, because the opponents outright surrendered (that will need tweaking some, because they ought to have been able to outrun them or at least try to, but since it came up I let you keep the captured units).  You have 12 labour.

Exploring units have an unseen supply train funnelling supply to them from the city.  Taxes will still be deducted to pay for them, units will not rebel.  Captured units don't have a loyalty issue.  Yet.  That's on the list.

Also, Whitehill gained a new unit which I missed on the summary:  Whitehill icepups (functionally, raiders, but cannot be upgraded with equipment - later may allow to upgrade to a better 'growth stage').

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 16, 2009, 01:32:19 pm »

Hurrah!  I discovered that my neighbour here in Spain (who is not in town, apparently) has wi-fi, and I can just about manage a shakey connection.  What this means is that I've been able to update the turn post with city and unit stats (where units have been affected).

I've heard naught from Strife, so Bastion is kind of in suspended animation atm because I'm not sure how to proceed and I don't have an AI set up to handle this stuff yet.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 16, 2009, 01:50:25 pm »

What the? Why didn't I get any population growth this year? And why did Tylon's population drop about 1600?

Also, what is C in the unit stats?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9