Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Adjust the morale bonus to production?

Give us more labour, we'll take the additional food cost.
- 0 (0%)
Reduce construction costs so we can get labour benefits without extra food costs.
- 1 (25%)
Keep it as it is; increasing goods production without additional food cost.
- 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Brave New World - Discussion Thread  (Read 14058 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Discussion Thread
« Reply #60 on: July 27, 2009, 10:10:38 pm »

Multi-unit combat is proving a bitch to code.  I think combat for the next turn or two is probably going to be unit v. unit, as I still have to work out proper hex movement.  If all posts are in, turn will be when I wake up in about 8 hours (late night making update).

Fun things I have learned:

You can't move one axis on a hex without moving another.  If you want to move +1 x, you have to move -1 y or +1 z.  Ditto for y, and moving +1 z always means moving +1 x/y.  I have no idea why this is the case, but that's how it turned out.  I was always much better at arithmetic than geometry anyway.  -_-
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 10:28:17 pm »

Z? What's z? Is this some sort of 3D hex grid?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 10:37:46 pm »

Tiles in hex grids have 6 sides, so it's easiest to track locations on them them with 3 axes. I think. I've never programmed anything with a hex grid.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2009, 12:57:25 am »

Sure, if you like redundancy. A quick google search came up with this site on the subject.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2009, 01:10:30 am »

Yeah, I realized sometime after I said that, doing it that way wouldn't be the easiest way at all. But that sounds like what he's doing. Like the "Flattened 3D" example in the page you linked, I guess? I only skimmed it.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2009, 01:54:27 pm »

I can't believe that took me four and a half hours.  I attribute at least some of that to bugfixing.

Also, I am not a programmer and as I said, geometry is not a strong point with me.  I'll take a look over the easier axis methods and see what makes sense, but I don't much like the look of the first two.  The fourth one seems to make sense, but the tutorial is incomplete.  I wish I didn't have to use a grid system, but it makes it easier for calculating relative distances between multiple units.

Fun new things:  Horses can be used as beasts of burden to do extra labour!  They're less efficient than slaves, though, so it takes 2 units instead of 1 to generate labour.

But they don't revolt if your morale gets too low.

I'll have to figure out rules for trading and goodwill takeovers for next time, methinks.  That way you can benefit from the little communities etc.

Oh, and I've a trick or two to program yet for raiders.  Particularly very successful raiders (as Tiger's unit seems to be becoming).
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 01:59:39 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 02:15:43 pm »

They wont be for long...
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2009, 02:28:37 pm »

Shouldn't I have an extra point of labor from my high morale?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2009, 02:32:24 pm »

Sorry, no.  You had a 12.8% chance of extra labour this turn from your 128 extra citizens, and you didn't get lucky.  Tylon had a 29.8% chance and got lucky again.  Bonus labour is calculated by population, not morale, though morale determines the actual population growth that can grant bonus labour.

Also, tweaked taxation to be based directly on population, not labour.  Otherwise you'd be getting taxation from work done by horses and slaves.  (Which might not be a bad idea, technically.)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:34:02 pm by Iituem »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2009, 02:37:08 pm »

The OP states that we get extra labor at 8 morale, you should probably correct it if it isn't the case.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2009, 02:40:02 pm »

Ah, nuts.  That's what I get for directly copy-pasting from AoR when the rules don't quite match up.  >.>

Fixed.

Edit:  Unfixed!

Apparently I misunderstood what Vanigo actually meant when he said +10% production at high morale.  The BNW system doesn't account for that the same way.

High morale will actually give you a literal 10% or 20% bonus to resource production over the turn.  I've now tweaked the script so that it rounds to the nearest integer rather than always rounding down.  For the present, this will probably only show up in food production.

If there is much call for it, I can tweak it so that it adjusts labour the same way as in AoR, or I can up the percentages for more balanced bonus resource production.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 02:46:01 pm by Iituem »

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2009, 02:46:49 pm »

If i dont get a extra point of labor for the hobbits,frodo,sam and bilbo will be a pile of bones.

Hey can i ask a question about changing the culture of the deepelves, i wanna have deepelves with bucther cleavers that go "hunting" in a hobbit villige to get some food...

In case you dont get it
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2009, 02:47:29 pm »

Do I have bonus resources from last turn then?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2009, 03:12:17 pm »

Yeah, I can easily enough implement a butcher() command to turn slaves and livestock into bonus food for the year.  I can implement a freeSlaves() command to free units of slaves for 100 bonus population as well, in case anyone gets any slaves they don't want to use for labour.

Also, the slaves are all dead, they only last one turn.  Go get more slaves or research slavery.

Due to the kooky way morale is calculated (last thing in a turn), the bonuses will apply for this coming year instead.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2009, 03:16:47 pm »

Ah, good to know. One more question for now: Horse production is unable to be increased with watermills and such, right? That would be fun, but a tad bit unbalancing.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9