Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Adjust the morale bonus to production?

Give us more labour, we'll take the additional food cost.
- 0 (0%)
Reduce construction costs so we can get labour benefits without extra food costs.
- 1 (25%)
Keep it as it is; increasing goods production without additional food cost.
- 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Brave New World - Discussion Thread  (Read 14070 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Discussion Thread
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2009, 04:54:17 am »

I like the idea of a shrine doing less for bigger populations, but I find storing the luxury produced by a graveyard in book form, to be consumed later, to be strange. Did you drop the idea of staffing shrines for a bonus, or do they have to be staffed to do anything at all?

Shrines are now completely passive.  Temples can be built later on down the line and will also produce passive Spirituality, plus an additional resource (probably) called Guidance depending on whether/how well they are staffed.  Having multiple religion-type luxuries would be more useful re: the luxury point cap on any one luxury resource.  The main reason for having the ability to store spirituality/guidance as scripture (be it meditations, divine writs or holy texts) would be so that a highly religious city could effectively 'export' its faith as a trade good.

There is also now a (fairly) detailed exploration and raiding mechanic in place, which Filius' exploration has neatly demonstrated.  Exploration of a new region discovers/generates encounters based on the size of the region being explored.  Exploration normally takes six times the movement power of a unit, but this is halved for a unit equipped with an Explorer leader.  (The movement limit per year of an infantry unit is 1000 LI.)

The Tylonese raiders also demonstrated a combat situation quite well.  Truthfully, this took place several times when I was bugtesting the script and the raiders kept getting 'unlucky' on the exploration roll.  When I finally ironed out the bugs and got it working, the result in the post is the final result; both human and elven raiders fought a few rounds, whittled one another down to 1HP, then fled for their lives at the same time.

The Tylonese raiders also raided one of the halfling villages after discovering the bonus resource of stone, but with 2 of their 3 loot slots taken up, they could only loot 1 item of food from the village.  After returning to Tylon, the raiders still had enough move to go back and loot more, but with the bandits still in the eastern hills there was a good risk they would be killed.  Next turn, the raiders will level up and gain stats to offset that.

On the other hand, so will the bandits.

I'm also implementing slavery as a mechanic, but more on that later.  In essence, it will allow you to spend the 'slaves' good to produce extra labour in a turn.  Slaves being worked to death eat a lot to keep going, though, so there is a consummate food cost.  Equally, even the most hardboiled of cities still have dissidents for whom slavery doesn't quite sit well, so they also require an appropriate increase in luxuries to 'ease' their consciences.  (Read: labour is balanced to require food and luxuries regardless, so this mechanic simply increases labour for that turn over that produced by the population.)
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2009, 07:47:53 am »

Two quick questions:

1) It says I gained 1 spirituality last year, yet my morale didn't change. I don't think I should have that point at all.
2) Do I only need 10 food/1 luxury until I get 11,000 people? That's what the script makes it look like.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2009, 08:15:46 am »

1)  You actually don't gain any spirituality until this year.  The script is showing the production for the coming year, based on current labour assignment and buildings.  I had a toss-up between showing projected production or giving inaccurate morale/population figures.  I have adjusted the scripts to make more sense now.

2)  Food/luxury demands are based on labour rather than population.  You are guaranteed 1 labour per 1,000 people, but every person above that gives you a proportional chance of an extra labour point that turn (so with 10,700 people you have 10 labour and a 7/10 chance of an extra point).  If you don't get the extra labour point, you don't have to pay the extra food/luxury.  If you do, you do.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2009, 08:20:39 am »

I like that method of handling it, and you made granaries more useful! Hurray!

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2009, 02:13:24 pm »

So, next turn I'll start getting furs and spirituality, and the turn after that I'll get the morale? Or will my morale go up next turn?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2009, 03:33:17 pm »

Your morale will go up next turn (morale is calculated before population growth and labour calculations, which are the last things to happen on a turn) and you will obtain those goods on this turn.  Since you have 10 available labour this turn you can afford to spend both fur and spirituality for a +2 morale bonus, or store the furs and gain +1 instead.  The spirituality 'rots' if you don't consume it.

Order of Events on Turn

Start Turn
(0. Any tributary arrangements are conducted, unit move is reset etc.)
1. Pick projects for turn.
2. Allocate labour for turn.
3. Set luxuries to be consumed on turn.

Mid-Turn
4. Work land, buildings etc.  Goods generated/consumed, work done.
5. Taxation of settlement. (req. Trade)
6. Research is compiled for the turn.  Breakthrough checks made.
7. Any work performed on projects (construction etc) is done.  Project completion is checked.
8. Any soldiers are paid. (req. Trade)
9. Food is consumed.
10. Food is wasted/assigned for use as a luxury.
11. Completed upgrades/buildings are created (effects thus not calculated this turn).

12. Any conscripted units are recruited.  Unit equipping takes place.
13. All unit-related actions take place (raiding etc).

End Turn
13. Morale for the next turn is calculated.  (All next turn's calculations based on this morale.)
14. Growth is calculated.
15. Any perishables (food, spirituality etc) are destroyed if insufficient storage.
16. Population growth takes place.  (Pop. number is updated.)
17. Labour available for the next turn is calculated.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 03:35:25 pm by Iituem »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2009, 04:33:23 pm »

I approve of all the changes and elaborations. Especially since I scored an unexpected extra labour point as a result. I have two lines of questioning, though :
I notice someone found furs. How is discovering resources handled? Are they already placed and you have to work the square to find them? Are they based on a random percentage? Are they based on the whims of the gods (you)?
Are we going to have new leaders arise, eventually, and is there a system for it yet?

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2009, 04:51:01 pm »

We should totally do a BNW/AoR cross over

Just for the lulz

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2009, 04:53:21 pm »

I approve of all the changes and elaborations. Especially since I scored an unexpected extra labour point as a result. I have two lines of questioning, though :
I notice someone found furs. How is discovering resources handled? Are they already placed and you have to work the square to find them? Are they based on a random percentage? Are they based on the whims of the gods (you)?
Are we going to have new leaders arise, eventually, and is there a system for it yet?

1.  Yes, yes and yes.  There are some pre-placed resources (there is a certain minimum number, and the resource-poor grids (tundra & wasteland) have a slightly higher number), as defined by me.  Additionally, there is a chance for discovering a resource early or an extra resource on a turn as determined by a random fortune roll.  Vanigo got a lucky roll on his turn, so he found furs early.  So did Nirur, who got a research bonus sufficient to get him both Farming and Ceremonial Burial.  There is also a chance that terrible things can happen on a turn (raiders, famine etc).  Much of the time, nothing much occurs.

2.  Yes, but it's very basic.  You can support 1 leader per 5,000 population.  Around the time you get to the appropriate limit, one will arise.  Leaders per se aren't scripted in yet, I'm just assigning bonuses through an 'arbitrary bonus' mechanic.  I have other things to script before then (multi-unit combat, surrender mechanics, how NPC trade and diplomacy will work beyond fear and intimidation, how trade routes will eventually work etc).

The good(?) news is that the slavery system that's now been coded in should work just fine.  See the new Exploration and Raiding/Slavery/Empire entries in the RP thread database.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2009, 05:25:45 pm »

I'll try to get my turn up tonight.

How much is RP being weighted?
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2009, 05:41:54 pm »

No RP nets you a penalty where I can apply it (usually on things like research or random events, where there is enough fluctuation to permit subtle penalties).  Particularly engaging RP brings a similar bonus.  I don't expect master storytelling, but the penalty is in place to ensure that there are at least a few lines to develop the character of your leaders/people, otherwise this is just a plain old 4X without any romance.

Entertaining, romantic stories are focused on the personalities and goals of characters, things that we as people can directly empathise with beyond the grand schemes of the city, and I'm all about the romance in storytelling.   :)

Free tip for anyone who does enjoy writing stories, and for those trying to score bonus points, as an aside:  While massive, empire-spanning plots and intrigue are pretty damn cool, they are only as engaging and entertaining as they relate to the window characters we have identified with.  Conquering an empire is mererly cool.  It becomes compelling when it is the fruition of goals harboured by a character we have been empathising with for several turns/chapters.  Always go for the human element.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 26, 2009, 05:59:36 pm »

Curses! The only leader I have who is likely to try to conquer anyone is a wannabe belligerent warmonger with no apparent tactical skill who doesn't technically exist. However, I shall now make my council members interact with the townsfolk directly.

Except Abalaj. That would end in a shouting match. Wait, I might do that anyway.

Hey, if we can support one leader for each 5,000 population, what happens if one dies? If one does die will we be told what the secret ability it had was if it was still undiscovered?

We should totally do a BNW/AoR cross over

Just for the lulz
Don't the Zefies already have both of those covered?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2009, 06:39:35 pm »

Done my orders, working on my RP now. In retrospect defining my race as peaceful, cooperative, and unambitious doesn't really make for engaging RP in a game based around expansion and conquest :D Especially before they've made contact with the other races. It's a writing challenge though, and I think I'll rise to it.

But yeah, basing leaders off our RPs would be cool. I haven't defined any of my other council members yet (and the way I'm writing this RP, won't this turn either), but it would be neat if I could flesh the rest of them out beforehand and when I get enough population to support another leader, instead of adding another character to RP out of nowhere, I could just gain access to the head ranger-yeti (or whatever). It would also allow us to direct which leaders we're getting next in case we really want an engineer or something.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2009, 07:03:48 pm »

Well Audie is going to end up as a pretty hardline zefie right now, and Koga might end up being close to his namesake. Except that it isn't really like the vision I have for the puffs.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2009, 01:01:17 am »

Heh, reading through the RPs (and then rereading mine), I realize I made a pretty bad timeline error in my first entry (facepalm). Apparently yeti generations last less than a year >_>, or they are very loose about the term ancestor. Yeah, I shouldn't care, but writing practice is writing practice, after all.

Also, I like your druids Vanigo. I sense political intrigue!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9