Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Adjust the morale bonus to production?

Give us more labour, we'll take the additional food cost.
- 0 (0%)
Reduce construction costs so we can get labour benefits without extra food costs.
- 1 (25%)
Keep it as it is; increasing goods production without additional food cost.
- 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9

Author Topic: Brave New World - Discussion Thread  (Read 14061 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Signups
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 07:24:11 pm »

There's two of them (we'll count diagonal ones as coastal), so they will provide the 2 food for now but not be fishing village-able.  We'll figure out some way of developing them later on.

Also, update in an hour or two with the magicians and the Zefies (holding one more spot for either Aqizzar or Vanigo, since I said I'd give him one if he was interested, if either one decides to go), and then we may be ready to begin.

First, though, I have stories to write.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 07:36:20 pm »

Oh, Strife, I was just joking. Can't we find some common ground? We're the two fuzzy races, after all. Fuzzy pride. Represent.

First, though, I have stories to write.

Good stuff. Eventually I'll catch up on all your non-Olonkulet stories, I promise. I enjoy your writing.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 08:57:06 pm »

Huh...Im probley gonna attack someone the first few turns..
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 09:24:44 pm »

I think I want in on this. Here's my civ:

Civilization:Ri'Talan
City: Ri'Talan
Race: Humans and elves
Brief history: The city of Talan in the old world was a thriving center of arcane and druidic learning. The people lived in towers made of living redwoods, and lived in harmony with the surrounding forests. Their carefully-managed harvests of wood and game were supplemented with a great deal of trade with the outside world, mostly in rare herbs and magical goods. The final wars were disastrous to the city, however; even before the magical cataclysms that destroyed the world, they could no longer consistantly trade for food and were unable to support their entire population. When the rifts opened, Talan was a shadow of itself with perhaps half of its original population. Of these, perhaps half escaped.
The new world was not kind to the refugees. They could have thrived had they arrived in a forest, but instead they found themselves in the middle of a great savannah - not exactly a hostile environment, but one they were extremely ill-suited to. Their arcane knowledge was of little use without the critical tools and equipment lost to the fires of the old world, and the druids, unfamiliar with their surroundings, were little better off. They managed as best they could, though, and eventually settled on the banks of a great river, where the trees were slightly thicker and the game less scarce. Ri'Talan is still a struggling community, but the people have begun to adapt, and it's no longer one in danger of starvation.
Society:Talan was always a city governed by magic, with a council of wizards and druids at its head. Ri'Talan is somewhat different. The surviving councellors still hold some sway, but with their powers so heavily reduced, they're not nearly as influential as they once were. With survival uncertain, knowledge is less valued, and the new city's council has more representation from hunters and craftsmen than from magic-users. The people of Ri'Talan still yearn for their former greatness, but their magic is still weak, as more critical issues have been their immediate concern.
The people of Ri'Talan tend to be quite spiritual, in a druidic and nearly animist way. They have little interest in gods, believing that the old gods were left behind in the old world. Trees are fairly central to their traditions, and their scarcity around their new home is a major concern to the citizenry. (Logging is an always has been allowed, but is carefully planned and managed to maintain the health of the forest.)
Theme: Once-powerful spellcasters thrown into a world they're ill-suited to, now dependant on hunting to survive.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 10:04:19 pm »

Alright, starting positions are available.  I've been perhaps a touch unkind to Vanigo in the amount of barren wasteland he got (but then, similarly for the yetis), but he also gets Trade off the bat as well.

As with Age of Restoration, the first thing you will want to do is assign labour.  Right now, each of you has 10 labour to play with.  You can assign it to squares, construction or (if you have a Hall of Learning) research.  Nobody has started with military units, so you may wish to assign labour to creating weapons.

You -can- just draft unarmed conscripts instead (though this will put you below 10k pop.), but they will be the weakest kind of unit.  You can only draft one unit per turn for now.

After this turn, I will assume that labour assigned to squares stays on those squares unless you take it off.

Finally, name your leaders!  I won't name them for you, and they'll hopefully play a pretty big part in your roleplay.

Alright.  I'm off to sleep for a few hours, so I'll work on the numbers when I awaken.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 10:04:50 pm »

Wow. It's just like Age of Restoration, except that I don't get the super awesome genial ability.

I'd request hexes though, the squares are pretty ugly.

I just realized that I never did my AoR turn!
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 11:47:00 pm »

Ouch. Savannas are wastelands now? Absolutely no source of stone, too, but at least I've got plenty of wood. I guess I'll survive. Hope I can score some druidic land rejuvenation, at some point, though...
By the way, why do I have javelins instead of bows? I'd think a forest city of humans and elves with a hunting tradition would have a tradition of archery. I mean, it's no big deal, it just seems a bit off. Or is archery a more advanced tech in this game?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:12:26 am by Vanigo »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 11:48:55 pm »

Not here Vangio.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 11:58:14 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 11:57:30 pm »

Now here Vangio.

I honestly don't know what that means.

Vanigo : Don't worry, I got a little screwed on the resources too. That's what I get for asking for tundra. But we should be fine if we play it smart. I think this is the OOC thread though, and turns go in the other one. I think.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 11:58:52 pm »

Now here Vangio.

I honestly don't know what that means.
Typo, as seen in my edit :P I'm referring to his RP, to not post it here but in the thread.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2009, 12:03:36 am »

Gotcha. Sorry. I probably should have been able to figure that one out. Especially since I was posting to say the same thing  :D

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 12:08:46 am »

Wait, did I seriously name my civilization Ritalin? How did I not notice that? Uh, I'm changing it to Su'talan, okay?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 12:11:47 am by Vanigo »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 12:09:52 am »

I've literally got the exact same land I got in the last game.  :-\
Even the avatars expire eventually.

mission0

• Bay Watcher
  • He is on a mission!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 01:10:15 am »

Nice, If a spot opens up let me know. I'd like to join in on it. For the moment i'll just enjoy the view.
Oh wait, "insane" doesn't work on this forum.
Crap, can't think of an alternative.

Wimdit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 02:37:18 am »

Oh damn. How did I miss this?

Consider me a reserve player as well.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9