Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Adjust the morale bonus to production?

Give us more labour, we'll take the additional food cost.
- 0 (0%)
Reduce construction costs so we can get labour benefits without extra food costs.
- 1 (25%)
Keep it as it is; increasing goods production without additional food cost.
- 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: Brave New World - Discussion Thread  (Read 14056 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Discussion Thread
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2009, 02:31:53 pm »

Yay, I can do my turn without guesswork now :D

When you get the chance, could you double-check my morale? It's listed as 7, but I think I should be getting +1 (Leader), +1 (Tea), and +2 (Clothing).

And now that I have units, did we ever come to a decision on how to train them outside of battle?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2009, 06:34:57 am »

The short answer is that I'm a bloody fool.  I posted your results for Tylon last turn and forgot to do the 'turn end' script for Su'Talan (which calculates growth and morale), which has been corrected and the proper stats uploaded.

Unfortunately, your morale is fine, largely because food isn't set as a luxury right now (since the appearance of the granary) to pump up the 'luxury' score.  I normally would have twigged that before the endturn, but things have been a touch disrupted this turn (to say the least).  Since your population is effectively 12, you need 12 lux points to gain a morale point and each unit of normal luxuries only gets you 10 points.  I forgot to set the additional unit of food to be spent for the last 2 points (though you didn't explicitly say to set them, either).

Units passively level up every 5 turns or so, but I had plans to produce 'equipment' in the form of training for soldiers, though I may tweak that to a different script method so it can't be looted by other units.  Either way, it would either work through a barracks building or the military school (limiting its effectiveness somewhat to those sides with generals) based on what 'military' techs you had researched (warrior code/tactics type stuff).

The unit system (and potentially the combat system with it, pain in the arse as that will be) may get an overhaul again soon to account for numbers of men etc.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2009, 03:15:37 pm »

Since your population is effectively 12, you need 12 lux points to gain a morale point and each unit of normal luxuries only gets you 10 points. 

OK, that was the part I was missing. I thought it was a flat +1 morale for every luxury. But unless my brain is failing this morning, that still means I have a +1 leader bonus and 30 luxury points (+2 morale rounded down). I guess you could be calculating it as 10 from tea (0 morale) and 20 from clothing (+1 morale), which would make the math work. Anyway, it's not terribly important, just enjoy your vacation  ;)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 18, 2009, 04:26:28 am »

There's a rather nasty rule in place to stop people just producing a ton of clothes, actually.  The LP from a single type of luxury maxes at the population/labour level.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 21, 2009, 12:26:39 pm »

Alright.  Twenty four hour rule in effect, given the lack of lifesigns from Strife or Filius elsewhere on the forum.  Week is pretty much over anyway.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2009, 11:28:01 am »

Tip:  If I haven't got something on the research 'tree' yet, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.  Go ahead and try researching it anyway and I'll try and come up with something for it, or if I judge it too high tier, you'll get a related lower-tier tech instead.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2009, 11:36:17 am »

These mana crystals I have - Are they created from pure mana, or are they normal crystals imbued with mana?

Roughly how much time can someone levitate a pebble for with a crystal?

With proper research, will I be able to convert mana directly into labor?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2009, 02:37:58 pm »

Created.  For the magitechnical explanation:

Mana crystals are a combination of very simple alchemy and very low-level transmutation.  Creating mana is itself a spell of sorts; drawing elements from the air and pressing them into a stable yet high-energy form.  Breaking the mana crystals down is another very basic spell, which releases most of the energy used to create them (there is some waste) which can then be diverted into more immediately necessary spells.  The crystals can chain-detonate, but the energy release would be one of pure magical energy - unless channelled through the framework of a spell it would have no effect on the material world.  It does mean a lot of mana can get released quickly if needed, though.

To answer your question; normal crystals formed from elements in the air and kept together by transmutation.  The energy that binds them could be considered mana, but it's basically a store of potential energy.  The crystal itself is referred to as 'mana'.

How much time a crystal buys?  Depends on the crystal.  The time:work ratio is pretty constant, though; about a day's worth of crystal will levitate a pebble for between 5-10 minutes depending on the skill and efficiency of the caster and the size of the pebble.  So something like a 1:288 ratio of effort?  They really are not efficient compared to manual labour.  The advantage is that the stored energy can be released in a bang, and to do physically impossible things.

Mana:Labour conversion; yes, at higher levels of transmutation/conjuration, but expect something like a 1:4 ratio of mana:labour.  I expect mana will get rather easier to produce as the game goes along and methods of harvesting or generating it improve.  Mana collection should not generally be a replacement for ordinary manpower.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2009, 03:31:26 pm »

It's too bad there's only 3 players left :( Hopefully somebody resurfaces. Are you going to consider adding some late-joiners if no one comes back, or just leave it at 3?

Anyway, great turn. It's a nice surprise scoring a bunch of metal, but I guess I can't use any of it until I research metalworking eh? grumble. These other yetis, I assume they're other yetis from the rift and not local yetis, right?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2009, 03:47:42 pm »

Other rift yetis, yes.  Also, I'll accept new players if they make a submission.

29th August Edit:  Update tomorrow, busy weekend.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 04:08:32 am by Iituem »

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 31, 2009, 11:13:02 pm »

Come on, people, what's with the not posting turns, ever?

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 02, 2009, 12:01:28 pm »

Actually, everyone's posted their turns that's active, so this is entirely my fault.  Quite aside from the increase in hectic activity in my life outside these boards, there's a significant power imbalance in the raiding system right now - the yetis are trumping every raider they meet.

So that's getting fixed before I do kinseti's exploration rolls.  Basically everything else is done, but if I don't get that coding done, he'll have a significant army of wolves at his disposal (moreso than he does already, I mean).

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 02, 2009, 05:25:28 pm »

Hurray, a turn!

I don't like my new council though. Why, cruel muse? Why did my random, inane, rambling writings lead to a council I dislike? How many innocent villagers will die because of me?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 02, 2009, 05:50:40 pm »

Jeeze, you're quick on them turns Nirur. I'll try to do mine in a not-annoying-slow fashion this time >_>

(Obligatory comment about my Yetis being unstoppable killing machines. Rawr.)

Vanigo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 15, 2009, 10:40:30 pm »

So, uh, new turn?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9