Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Adjust the morale bonus to production?

Give us more labour, we'll take the additional food cost.
- 0 (0%)
Reduce construction costs so we can get labour benefits without extra food costs.
- 1 (25%)
Keep it as it is; increasing goods production without additional food cost.
- 3 (75%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: Brave New World - Discussion Thread  (Read 14055 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brave New World - Discussion Thread
« on: July 21, 2009, 05:49:42 pm »

So I've decided to start a new strategy/roleplay game based heavily on (read: ripped heavily off) Vanigo's excellent Age of Restoration game.  I spent a couple of days writing up a script to make calculations rather faster too, so we'll see how that goes down.

Full rules will be posted in the RP thread, but for the moment assume that the rules are essentially the same as with Age of Restoration.  The advantage of the script is that it should take me less time to do turns and the program ought to give me textline outputs of the mechs side of turn events.

As with AoR you are in a city with a radius of 21 tiles including the base square (go go, Sid Meier!), labelled 0-8 and A-L as so:

LAB
K812C
J703D
I654E
 HGF

You start off with 10,000 citizens, a couple of technologies and a varied patch of terrain.  Each 1000 citizens generates a point of labour which you can assign to work tiles.  Working tiles generates the three main resources (food, wood, stone) or secondary resources (luxuries, ores, or other resources) for your city.  Tiles can be specially improved (e.g. by irrigation), some of which may be tile-specific and most of which will be exclusive with other improvements.

Buildings can also be constructed, which may provide passive benefits, or active benefits (which require labour assigned to them).

Leaders will again be an important mechanic, albeit one that is presently still being scripted in (requires all-around tweaking).

Signing Up

Looking for 5 players and a fairly hectic update schedule.  Roleplay of some sort is strongly encouraged, the more detailed and engaging the better; if we are going to entertain ourselves, we may as well entertain those watching.  1 week maximum turn time, but will generally be done as soon as a turn is completed.

Template

Civilisation Name:  The Moomintroll Matriarchy
City Name:  Moomin Mountain
Race:  Moomintrolls are a race of very pale pink, almost white hippo-like creatures that traditionally lived in a very friendly forest and were periodically harassed by racoons... and so on.
Society:  The Moomintrolls largely make decisions based on the family unit, as controlled by the matriarch.  Crime amongst the Moomintrolls is controlled by stern family teachings... and so on.
Theme:  Peaceful Blunderers
Brief History:  When the war that destroyed the old world came, the Moomintrolls fled into hiding and missed most of it.  They escaped through the rifts and searched far and wide for one another, eventually coming together at a mystical lake... and so on.

Spoiler: Dev Log (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 10:19:40 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World - Signups
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:03:57 pm »

Civilisation Name: Under Elven Empire
City name: Tylon ( pronouced Ti lon)
Race:Dark elves.Evil elves.
Society:The under elven empire uses a gladitor pit to settle disputes and to see who is the next king.Spartan exstince.They carve out small homes from the mountain,occasaoinaly building something.They managed to grow some edible mushrooms.Their civilization relies on war and slaves to keep it working.
Theme: Bloodthirsty underground raiders that kill for fun.
Brief History: They worked as mercaneys for a while before finding a portal and escaping to this new realm. There they found a large mountain with a large crack in the side.There they found a large cave river. They lived there ever since.  ((Can you raid  other civs? for loot and slaves?))
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:18:57 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 06:06:59 pm »

Yes, though I'm going to have to insist on at least a paragraph each on Society and Theme.  Preferably more, as I'll be picking based on quality of updates as well as who signs up first.  The main reasons I didn't write full paragraphs in the template were a) Ease of copying, and b) I couldn't bring myself to write three whole paragraphs about the friggin' Moomintrolls.

That is, yes, you will be able to enslave, pillage and burn.  (Remember Rule One.)

The combat system's different to AoR, though.  Uses eight stats:

Attack, Defense, Move, Range, Nerve, Stealth, Force and Health.

Will give a more indepth on those when I've got the rules written up.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:11:29 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
Re: Brave New World (OOC Thread)
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 06:10:00 pm »

Civilisation Name:  The Ozymandias Hierarchy.

City Name:  Dias.

Race: Human, other races are accepted into the city though.

Society:  The Ozymandias Hierarchy is ruled by a God-King and is worshiped by all the others in the kingdom. He commands them and they worship him. The title passes down to each successive ruler, each an incarnation of the previous. The Hierarchy is the group working behind the scenes, making the kingdom work. Few God-Kings control the Hierarchy. Crime is prevented through public displays of strict punishment.

Theme:  Religious Conquerers Converters. They believe that they must enlighten the unenlightened, preferably peacefully, however through force if necessary. They prefer diplomatic means, however will use force to get their point across. All who live in their kingdom must worship the God-King, they reserve special days for worship and mass. Not going to these or not worshiping the God-King can result in severe punishment. Death or worse.

Brief History:  The Ozymandias Hierarchy existed in the old world, not as a kingdom or country but as a religious group. It was a small power, restricted through prejudice to the outskirts of the world. Seeing the fall of civilization they waited for a sign, a sign for saviour delivered from their god. They believed the rifts were this, they went through the rifts without hesitation and brought themselves to their feet.

EDIT: Humans? Do I really have to write a paragraph for them?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:13:45 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »

(Naw, I edited to account for that.  If it's a standard fantasy race, don't worry too much about it)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:46:08 pm »

Hey, shouldn't you be working on Olonkulet?  ;) Just kidding. I'm in with the bigfoot brigade.

Civilization Name : The Noble Tundra

City Name : Whitehill

Race : Yeti's. Large (6-8 ft and muscular) humanoids with thick white fur, their hands and feet have pads and short claws. Their faces are mostly hairless, pale, and cro-magnum like, with large but dull teeth. They are omnivores, with a similar diet to bears (fish, fruit, nuts, etc, only hunting if necessary).

Society : The Noble Tundra is directed by a council of the eldest members of the community. Both strength and age are highly respected. Due to the Yetis peaceful and generally cooperative nature, there is very little policing or legal structure in place, and they have no concept of aristocracy or caste. They are a secular society, but have a strong reverence for the beauty and complexity of nature. Their architecture is simple and utilitarian, and they are not much interested in art. They are generally peaceful, but have a strong sense of honour and are quite territorial.

Theme : Peaceful and noble savages. Druidic bent to any magic. I think I said most of it in "society" actually, but I could try to elaborate more if necessary.

Brief History : The Yeti's have spent their years quietly living on the lands of Whitehill, rarely straying to explore, and having minimal dealings with other races, happy to be left alone. They live a modest existence, taking no great strides in science, content to live quietly off of the land. Due to the icy area they inhabit having few predators large enough to prey on Yeti, and being of no great intrest to other races, they have lived peacefully...thus far.

Is this to your liking?
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 06:52:36 pm by kinseti »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 07:11:26 pm »

*whistles innocently*  Don't worry, that's getting worked on.

Looks good, but don't forget that this world has no sapient life on it already, so those yetis will have had to have migrated from one tundra to another (we can assume that by whatever mysterious benevolence, everyone got dropped off in the right climate zones).

Edit:  Out for the night, will review on the morrow.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:33:51 pm by Iituem »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:20:38 am »

Alright, some preliminary designs here.

Spoiler: Underelven Empire (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ozymandias Hierarchy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Noble Tundra (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Republic of Magernia (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Zefie Confederacy (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ri'Talan (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:53:18 am by Iituem »

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 11:22:40 am »

I'm almost worried to apply, just because I'll probably forget I'm involved.  Can I ask some questions first?

Namely, is roleplaying enforced or required?  And the concept I have in mind is pretty far from humanoid.  Possible?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 11:40:36 am »

Roleplaying is required/enforced, though hopefully that shouldn't detract from the fun (rather the opposite!).

Don't worry about being too alien, so long as it's balanced (and I will tweak to balance if necessary).  One of the early submissions for Age of Restoration (which this rips off extensively) really won my heart with a race of symbiotic demons that couldn't reproduce, so you're probably in good company here.

That said, don't give your race a massive bunch of innate benefits or anything like that.  It's a pain to script and to DM for, and wreaks havoc on balance even when I've toned it down.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 02:28:05 pm »

It's been nearly 24 hours. I don't feel bad about applying anymore. Yay!

Civilization Name: Republic of Magernia

City Name: Arcane City

Race: Humans

Society: The Republic of Magernia is led by a council of their five best mages. Every three years a magical tournament is held to determine who sits on the counsil. Major decisions must be ratified by at least three members to pass. In case one dies or retires, a new tournament is held immediately, and the remaining high-mages must compete to retain their status.
Magernians place great value on education, and it is considered important for all native-born citizens to be educated. They believe non-Magernians are barbarians to be looked down upon with pity or scorn (depending on who's in the council). Most of the citizens aren't very powerful, and only have enough magic speed up simple tasks.

Theme:  Magical Meritocrats - They believe any problem can be solved by magic. They have a de-emphasis on basic martial disciplines, however.

Brief History:  Magernians were part of the rather large magical order that played a part in the destruction of their previous world. Some lower and mid-ranked members disagreed with the indiscriminate usage of such powerful, untested magic, and created a portal to escape with their families. The magic unleashed from the cataclysmic spells disrupted their portal spell, and they were deposited in empty grasslands near a river. They vowed to never repeat the mistakes of the past, and began construction of a new city of enlightenment.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 09:05:27 pm by Nirur Torir »

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 02:43:37 pm »

I'll apply. They'll be the zefies, APU.

Give me a minute to rewrite their description.

EDIT: ZEFIES!

Civilization Name: Zefie Confederacy

City Name: Bastion (may or may not be hollow)

Race: Zefies
The zefies are made entirely of black fluff. They are about 3 feet in diameter and approximately spherical, generally. Besides fluff, their only distinguishable feature is a pair of large, luminous eyes. Exactly how they go about moving, eating, and using tools is a mystery wrapped in an enigma, smothered in a sweet teriaki sauce

Society: Zefies almost always live in big cities that have lots of above ground fortifications. They pride themselves on being the "Good" guys whenever possible, welcoming refugees with open arms. A pure zefie culture has very few crime problems, zefies are almost universally cheerful, loyal, and hard workers. In situations with refugees, crime is usually dissuaded by large regular armies, and reserve forces that often take up more than a majority of the male populace. Zefies tend to go armed. Zefie families tend to be nuclear in nature, with a partnership between the father and mother. Zefies have a religion that is very close to Christianity. They usually go to Church every Sunday, but other than a few holidays, it's not that big of a deal overall (religious freedom is never a question, zefies don't do the whole oppression thing).
Overall, there is little strife amongst domestic zefie affairs (Strife has had a few annoying affairs involving low zefie doorways, and giant six legged zefie turtles. He prefers to stay with regular zefie troops if possible, and is regarded as a demi-god generally). The zefies make up for this by pursuing external war. They have a very strong martial spirit, and will put their lives on the line to protect weaker peoples from oppression.

Theme: Cute, happy, militant, fortifing, fluff balls with a tendency towards slap-stick and knocking on the fourth wall.

Brief History: The last outpost of the zefies after a prolonged war with demons. They zefies were forced to fight city by city. Even their full might couldn't stand up against the enemies. Bastion prepared to meet her end. Then, one day, the entire city was gone. Exactly what happened is unknown, but only zefies (none of the assorted other races that inhabited it with them) are there now, and the land is completely different. Sales of the 1632 series went up drasticly overnight.

That is, yes, you will be able to enslave, pillage and THEN burn.  (Remember Rule One.)

Fixed.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 04:10:09 pm by Strife26 »
Even the avatars expire eventually.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 04:18:25 pm »

Hey...strife are your Zefies good workers? and mushroom growers?
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 07:16:27 pm »

I'm pretty stoked for this, I have to say. Civilization 2 was my favourite game for years of my childhood, and we've got a nice variety of cultures shaping up here. Sadistic drow, A human church-state, hippie fisherman sasquatches, a council of human magicians, and the comic relief zefies.

I like the location of my city, but just out of curiosity, am I going to be able to get any use out of those non-coastal water squares?

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 07:22:14 pm »

They're also the types who'll attack you with an army equal to three times yours. With full steel plate.

Overkill is zefie military policy one.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9