Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarf name randomly becoming horribly long?  (Read 2191 times)

Vorago

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf name randomly becoming horribly long?
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:16:13 pm »

So at some point, not entirely sure when, one of my marksdwarves had a mid life crisis and their name changed.  Not sure what it was before, but know it wasn't "Olon Righththosbut Medtobekastedim Nanir" which horribly breaks some of the menus due to it's length

Just curious what would cause this?  Playing Mayday's graphical dorf fort with Dig Deeper

gtmattz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf name randomly becoming horribly long?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:19:27 pm »

Killing lots of things and being overall awesome in battle will give dwarves titles on their name I think?
Quote from: Hyndis
Just try it! Its not like you die IRL if Urist McMiner falls into magma.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:28:13 pm »

"Lots of things" and "being awesome" is stretching it. They get an epithet added to their surname after killing a mere 5 goblins.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:35:00 pm »

Not just goblins, any named creature. If they killed five pet cats, they would get the extra names.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:38:47 pm »

You know, maybe this is why my military dwarves' custom nicknames keep disappearing...
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 01:47:36 pm »

Strange, I'm almost sure I've had nicknamed dwarves get epithets for killing stuff before, and the custom nicknames stayed.

It's been a while since I last used custom nicknames, though. I used to give nicknames to my founders to tell them apart from the rest, but now I use custom profession names instead. Not to mention that it's easy to remember at least their first names after a couple of years.

any named creature

That's not quite true. My modded goblins lack [CAN_SPEAK], which renders most of them unnamed. Some of them still get names (local leaders and such), and I've now checked a hero's. Turns out he got his epithet after only killing 3 named gobs, the rest (15) being unnamed ones.

Thus it turns out that names have nothing to do with it, which suggests that your "killing 5 pet cats" hypothesis might be flawed, the keyword being "might" though.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 02:31:09 pm by assimilateur »

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 02:47:08 pm »

I say kill the 5 cats anyway.  For SCIENCE!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 03:25:19 pm »

any named creature

That's not quite true. My modded goblins lack [CAN_SPEAK], which renders most of them unnamed. Some of them still get names (local leaders and such), and I've now checked a hero's. Turns out he got his epithet after only killing 3 named gobs, the rest (15) being unnamed ones.

Thus it turns out that names have nothing to do with it, which suggests that your "killing 5 pet cats" hypothesis might be flawed, the keyword being "might" though.

Let me rework my hypothesis then.

Any creature gets extra names when it kills five historical figures.

This would account for your nameless goblin case, as nameless goblins will still show up in legends, correct? And this would account for my assertion as well because anything with a name will automatically show up in legends, including pet cats.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 03:34:29 pm »

Makes sense.

I haven't actually read my world's legends, but seeing how my unnamed goblins behave similarly to named ones, I would assume that they'd appear in legends all right.

I replaced their [INTELLIGENT] tag with [CAN_CIV] and [CAN_LEARN] in a ploy to make them siege at a lower pop threshold. I fucked up the testing because I had initially disabled invasions and only enabled them after reaching a population of over 40; after that, I got full-blown sieges right away. On a gut feeling I'm willing to bet that the lack of an [INTELLIGENT] tag had nothing to do with it, though. I think it was the changing of [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2] to 1 that changed their behavior.

That's surely a nice thing to hope for, as I'd prefer all of my goblins sporting their silly little names, instead of just the elite ones.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 03:38:12 pm »

This may be true, but names also arise for more obscure reasons.

I've had named creatures (giant cave swallows, iirc) that were named just from flying around, no combat, no corpses listed whatsoever.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 03:48:52 pm »

On a gut feeling I'm willing to bet that the lack of an [INTELLIGENT] tag had nothing to do with it, though. I think it was the changing of [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POPULATION:2] to 1 that changed their behavior.

That's surely a nice thing to hope for, as I'd prefer all of my goblins sporting their silly little names, instead of just the elite ones.

Yeah, it was the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER] tags. I've played as goblins with all the other civs' progress trigger tags set to 1. Playing as a babysnatching civ makes them all automatically hostile, so they can send sieges as early as the first autumn. This can lead to a somewhat frantic beginning.

This may be true, but names also arise for more obscure reasons.

I've had named creatures (giant cave swallows, iirc) that were named just from flying around, no combat, no corpses listed whatsoever.

Well yeah, and war dogs will get names when they're assigned and when pets are adopted, but to get the four names from combat, a creature has to kill five historical figures.

I had a war dog do this once. In the same world I had an artifact with an image of a bear with four names, so I checked him out in legends and, sure enough, he had five goblin kills to his name.

(And I think you mean cave swallowmen, batmen, and gremlins instead of giant cave swallows. Those are the only ones I've seen get named by dwarves.)

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 03:58:53 pm »

Yeah, it was the [PROGRESS_TRIGGER] tags.

That's brilliant. Means I'm gonna have named goblins again, come next game.

On a side note, populations of goblins (or whichever civs) are strictly limited after worldgen, right? Because I'm wondering how soon those motherfuckers are gonna go extinct with the numbers they're sending me. And I'm getting one or two sieges every season (the "every season" part is caused by having 4 goblin entities instead of 1).

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 04:04:19 pm »

With some exceptions, most of goblin sieges are generated the moment they arrive, much like migrants. The notable exceptions are squad leaders. Those guys come from world-gen.

This is how goblins avoid killing themselves off at your fortress, by sending warriors that don't technically exist until they arrive within the confines of your map.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 04:08:00 pm »

But what happens if you manage to kill all the local leaders? Or is that damn near impossible?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 04:08:09 pm »

Does this mean that their sieging populations are limited by their number of world-generated squad leaders, or will those get replaced by common ones too?

I'm of course aware of a third possibility; namely, of this never having been tested out, because their populations might be too large for this to be a factor.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 07:26:30 am by assimilateur »
Pages: [1] 2