Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Comunist fort?  (Read 1246 times)

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
Comunist fort?
« on: July 21, 2009, 01:05:08 pm »

I have played for a while and i have been thinking, what about a fort where only the founding 7 plus maybe some high rank immgrents as their profesion and everyone else doing all jobs? it would lack high quality and value things, but no manging their jobs right?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Comunist fort?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 01:26:53 pm »

It works, but it's pretty inefficient; you have dwarves continually running back and forth between different job loci and they decide to do something different. For example, a dwarf runs deep into the catacombs to mine a single block, then they decide that that dead rat in the entrance needs to go onto a refuse pile, then they head off to make a rock mug...
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 01:27:54 pm »

I have played for a while and i have been thinking, what about a fort where only the founding 7 plus maybe some high rank immgrents as their profesion and everyone else doing all jobs? it would lack high quality and value things, but no manging their jobs right?
This is a good idea, and i think a lot of people already do this. it is especially handy with megaprojects when you need a lot of labour for mining or construction or whatever, where skill levels don't count. And with workshop profiles, you can assign them for only skilled people, so those orders are done by qualified dwarfs. When farming, i think it is important to have skilled dwarfs do the work as it increases output. Everyone with every skill activated would make for an amusing succession fort.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 01:49:28 pm »

I do use generic labordwarves for things like mining (no, I dont give a damn as to the number of rocks that spawn. I might think otherwise if I found adamantine, but barring valuable ores, and coal, I dont give a damn), building buildings, butchering and tanning, and so on. I often do this with farming too (I substitute intensity with sheer farming bulk), and I tend to separate my thralls into "stewards" and "builders", and assign to each distinct specialities.

I use workshop profiles to keep my workshops for my better artisans.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

kurisukun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 01:55:45 pm »

This is an excelent solution to the problem of the Dwarven Economy.  Since everyone is working, everyone has enough money to make rent.

Trading is a pain though, because you deal soley in quantity of goods and not quality.  And if you never trade off bins (like me, cause I can never get enough bins to house all my shtuff)  Hauling everything you're going to trade, and then SELECTING all the things you're going to trade, is just sooooooooo tedious.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:39:11 pm »

I do use generic labordwarves for things like mining (no, I dont give a damn as to the number of rocks that spawn. I might think otherwise if I found adamantine, but barring valuable ores, and coal, I dont give a damn)

According to the wiki, mining adamantine always gives you a chunk of raw adamantine, regardless of the miner's skill level.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 04:06:44 pm »

I have all dwarves do all professions, with the exception of jewelers, metal workers, and engravers.

At times its a little inefficient, but its also an extremely flexible workforce. If I need a building built right now, I've got a hundred dwarves swarming over the place with rock blocks. Or if I need to melt down a bunch of goblinite, thats easily done, and done very quickly!

Bonus points because with doing so much work, these dwarves are outstanding haulers from having such high stats. There is also no downtime in low level production due to a vital dwarf taking a nap. If its my legendary blacksmith, he's earned that right. But Mason #73? No! Mason #74 is right there to take his place.

Also if I want more food, I can have my peons strip the surface bare, harvesting every plant and chopping down every tree in minutes.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 07:21:28 pm »

thank you for your replys and i think ill try it.
p.s. this was my first topic and post :)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 05:34:41 am »

Using DwarfManager is a great idea for this kind of thing. You can just group select the labours you want activated.

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 06:31:56 am »

It works, but it's pretty inefficient; you have dwarves continually running back and forth between different job loci and they decide to do something different. For example, a dwarf runs deep into the catacombs to mine a single block, then they decide that that dead rat in the entrance needs to go onto a refuse pile, then they head off to make a rock mug...
I wonder if barrows will change this?

With barrows, it might make more sense to give every dwarf a ton of different jobs, since they'll still only do what's local to them.
We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 06:35:25 am »

Just for the record, this system you are suggesting has very little to do with communism ;)

If you want a communist fort you would have to properly divide your labours, designate/task mamager tasks for 5 years, and only give new labour orders after 5 years. afk fort! You struck microline!
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Gotthard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2009, 10:08:21 am »

My last fort had 250+ dwarves and went at 2fps near the end.  So yeah, it SEEMED like every 5 years I have them new orders  ;)

I build a lot of castles, so I need labor to run 30k+ stone around.  So everyone in my fort is a mason, for example.  Works well.  Unless you desperately want masterwork clothing, etc. I find it better to do it the way you mentioned.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2009, 10:12:18 am »

I have everyone do everything, but some workshops only allow certain skill levels or certain dwarves to use these workshops, so for the items that really do require a high skill level, like making furniture or metal objects, the legendaries can do their thing.

Interestingly enough, your dwarves will become surprisingly skilled even if everyone is doing everything, so long as you have plenty going on in your fortress. I can now reliably churn out quality goods even though I've got about 100 generic dwarves, and quite a few of them have become legendaries on their own, without any artifacts needing to be made.

RexMundi

• Bay Watcher
  • New and Improved!
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2009, 10:20:33 am »

Just for the record, this system you are suggesting has very little to do with communism ;)
ok no communism but thats the first title i thought of that semi-fit. :-\

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 10:34:04 am »

I've never had more than 7 dwarves yet so i've never had to worry about sorting labours for many dwarves, though I would probably sort them out like this:
  • Have I get someone better skilled in your profession?(yes-go to 2 no-go do your job)
  • Do I need someone doing your job?(no-go to 3 yes-go do your job
  • Welcome to the exciting career of hauling/cannon fodder!
Pages: [1] 2