Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Worst dwarfy death?  (Read 3392 times)

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
Re: Worst dwarfy death?
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2009, 09:15:30 pm »

Ehyuck. This thread gave me an unpleasant memory.

I once had a dwarf that had 3 limbs torn off, not including his right arm, eyes, nose, ears missing, lung punched out Yes I did say punched out. Among those, he had a couple red wounds in the spine. AND he fell down my 6 story marble tower I had built right outside the entrance. He would've survived, but an ambush happened right around that time, and all the dwarvyness in the world is for naught against steel bolts.

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2009, 10:05:06 pm »

lung punched out Yes I did say punched out.

Are you sure? From what I've read the only kind of injury lungs, hearts, and guts can take is mangled.

On my current fort, one of my first military dwarves got a light spine injury while wrestling, then had a child, so I decided it was best that she was retired from service... manually. I sent her out alone against a troop of gobbo bowmen with an axe lord during a siege. She immediately lopped off the axe lord's head, and then laid into the bowmen, taking dozens and dozens of hits. To my amazement, she slaughtered the gobbos and they began to retreat. Praise be to legendary shield users!

She only had a broken arm! But with V menu up I realized her baby was out with her too. It had two mangled legs, a broken skull and a few other stray injuries. Legendary shield user indeed.

So baby and mother and his mother went to rest in bed for a couple of seasons. Mom got better and went back to military duty, but the baby stayed in bed for years, even into childhood. As my fort got 150 strong, I forgot completely about the wounded child, until one season I got a message that he had gone berserk!

To my amazement the child, still horribly injured, dragged itself from the bedroom and began raging pitifully down the hallway, falling unconscious every few miserable steps. Mom, who was fast asleep until just then, rose to see her feral child frothing madly in the stairwell, and proceeded to cut off his arms. Not having the burial labor, she went about her business.

Her mood? "Datan Strickenanvils has been ecstatic lately. She has lost a child to tragedy lately."

As a friend said, "Dwarves are a pragmatic and hearty folk."

zarmazarma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2009, 03:14:21 am »

lung punched out Yes I did say punched out.

Are you sure? From what I've read the only kind of injury lungs, hearts, and guts can take is mangled.

On my current fort, one of my first military dwarves got a light spine injury while wrestling, then had a child, so I decided it was best that she was retired from service... manually. I sent her out alone against a troop of gobbo bowmen with an axe lord during a siege. She immediately lopped off the axe lord's head, and then laid into the bowmen, taking dozens and dozens of hits. To my amazement, she slaughtered the gobbos and they began to retreat. Praise be to legendary shield users!

She only had a broken arm! But with V menu up I realized her baby was out with her too. It had two mangled legs, a broken skull and a few other stray injuries. Legendary shield user indeed.

So baby and mother and his mother went to rest in bed for a couple of seasons. Mom got better and went back to military duty, but the baby stayed in bed for years, even into childhood. As my fort got 150 strong, I forgot completely about the wounded child, until one season I got a message that he had gone berserk!

To my amazement the child, still horribly injured, dragged itself from the bedroom and began raging pitifully down the hallway, falling unconscious every few miserable steps. Mom, who was fast asleep until just then, rose to see her feral child frothing madly in the stairwell, and proceeded to cut off his arms. Not having the burial labor, she went about her business.

Her mood? "Datan Strickenanvils has been ecstatic lately. She has lost a child to tragedy lately."

As a friend said, "Dwarves are a pragmatic and hearty folk."

Omg lol. That's terrible. Very good story though.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2009, 05:49:30 am »

I've had more than one death result from forgetting that bridges don't provide support to a construction made next to them, but that a dwarf will try to build something there anyway, and then tumble with the collapsing construction into whatever nasty thing (chasm/lava/river/etc.) is being bridged.  Why I never seem to remember this will happen, I'm not sure.

I've been sort of wondering for a while whether this could be used as an improvised murderhole. Leave as "almost finished" a line of Walls over a place the goblins pass throgh, and keep people with masonry nearby to finish them if they come.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2009, 12:27:16 pm »

I suppose that could work, assuming that:

(A) you keep the masons out of the line of fire of any goblins that might feel like taking a shot at the workers (which shouldn't be that hard if you plan ahead) and

(B) you make sure that the masons don't spot the goblins, panic, and run off, which might be a bit harder.

EDIT:  Also, (C) the masons don't finish the walls during setup and have them drop on, say, a group of dwarves walking past or a caravan you want to trade with.

Only one way to find out, and that is to test it.  If you lose a few masons along the way, so be it.  It doesn't sound all that efficient, but it does sound dwarfy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 12:30:08 pm by Judas Maccabeus »
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2009, 12:58:34 pm »

Here's one, I forget the exact details though:

Background, a kid who was wandering around ran into a giant cave swallow and tried to wrestle it, however, I'm sure you know the odds. When I found him, he was missing both arms, one of his legs, his head was yellow wounded and had many other yellow and red wounds, and I think a kidney was missing. He survived for many days until a marksdwarf which I had en route scare the bird off/kill it. The instant the bird was distracted, the kid finally bled to death.

The bird was just picking the kid apart... slowly. A pretty horrible way to die, dwarfy or not.

Another one is when I had the announcements off by accident (was getting spam from other stuff) and I got something about a baby dying. Apparently a giant bat decided the baby would make a tasty snack and grabbed the baby out of the mothers arms. No idea what happened to the mom, but I think she escaped unscathed as I didn't get anybody with the resting task.

Phelix

• Bay Watcher
  • Mining is Fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2009, 07:36:48 pm »

So I get the message "Tekkud Speardwarf has bled too death"

wtf? there've been no ambushes (2nd year), im not at war with anyone and im in a generally safe area (except for some annoying kobolds)

So I find his body in the barracks and I think OH he accidently got killed while sparring.... that makes more sense (since I was using my barracks as a meeting place which in hindsight was dumb)

So now I decide too find which military dwarf killed him (because I have some weird fetish for the "feels bad about accidentally killing someone" message)

and Im looking through and lo and behold my 2nd military dwarf (I started with an axe dwarf, then added a swordsdwarf) has a single kill and there it is, 1 kill=Tekkud Speardwarf

so I look at her thoughts and her thoughts are "is ecstatic. Has recently took joy in the slaughter. Has lost a lover too tragedy. Has witnessed death." and thats the end of the story..... wait LOVER?

So I look at her relationships and sure enough "Lover: Tekkud Speardwarf"

.....so in Short, my 2nd dwarf death in this fortress (first was from a hunter who jumped in a chasm), was a Speardwarf who was killed by his lover who took joy in killing him....... I really hope shes pregnant because that would just top it all off.

edited: because I had so many "likes" I felt like some preteen girl....
« Last Edit: July 26, 2009, 07:39:40 pm by Phelix »
"An Ambush! Curse them!"

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2009, 07:40:23 pm »

So I get the message "Tekkud Speardwarf has bled too death"

and Im like wtf? there've been no ambushes (2nd year), im not at war with anyone and im in a generally safe area (except for some annoying kobolds)

So I find his body in the barracks and Im like.... OH he accidently got killed while sparring.... that makes more sense (since I was using my barracks as a meeting place which in hindsight was dumb)

So now I decide too find which military dwarf killed him (because I have some weird fetish for the "feels bad about accidentally killing someone" message)

and Im looking through and lo and behold my 2nd military dwarf (I started with an axe dwarf, then added a swordsdwarf) has a single kill and Im like there it is! and yup it is 1 kill=Tekkud Speardwarf

so I look at her thoughts and her thoughts are "is ecstatic. Has recently took joy in the slaughter. Has lost a lover too tragedy. Has witnessed death." and Im like.... wait LOVER?

So I look at her relationships and sure enough "Lover: Tekkud Speardwarf"

.....so in Short, my 2nd dwarf death in this fortress (first was from a hunter who jumped in a chasm), was a Speardwarf who was killed by his lover who took joy in killing him....... I really hope shes pregnant because that would just top it all off.

Wow... keep an eye on her...
She sounds either psychopathic or sociopathic, most likely both or the former.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2009, 08:22:16 pm »

She's my kind of woman! Sex is twice as good when you have no arms or rather, when you recently had arms)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Mightymuffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2009, 04:47:46 pm »

My most recent death was rather depressing for me. Here we go:

For many fortresses I have waged war upon the fire imps. With my graphical tileset, their fiendish little yellow grins simply make them look even more smug about their obscenely pointless destructive power and hostility.
A group of imps had been circulating around the fortress entrance and were now skulking in a sort of alcove, and I decided that instead of hunting them with marksdwarves (as I feared the insuing brush fires), I would send my brand new novice mechanic/siege engine operator/siege engineer to go and place a cage trap nearby in the hope of snaring one of the bastards so that I could take glee in feasting upon their flesh and making their precious (but of course, burning) fat into soap.

Upon placing the trap, my engineer took a short cut over to the fortress in order to acquire the cage to set the trap.
However, as the engineer neared the top of the fortress entrance as his shortcut took him 1 Z level above, one of those black and red swines appeared behind him and promptly unleashed a hail of fire worthy of the pits of hell itself.
Panicking, I desperatley sent my recruits over to save him, and realising time was running out drafted some of the carpenters who were milling around by the wagon.
One recruit managed to arrive quickly enough and quickly savaged the imp, butchering the little bastard.
But, alas, the engineer that I had worked so hard to save, my brave little dwarf, lay unconcious, charred and dying. I saw far too many browns and far too many reds. Eyes, fingers, arms, most suffered from severe burns, if not removal. Possibly due to throat injuries, he began to suffocate. Iden Otameshtan died in the snow.

Using my taskmanager to close dwarf fortress and reloading the savegame, I waged eternal war on the imps. I will not rest until they have been exterminated in any way possible.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 05:17:51 pm by Mightymuffin »
Pages: 1 2 [3]