Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: The merits of soap  (Read 4076 times)

Garfblarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The merits of soap
« on: July 21, 2009, 10:26:47 am »

My dwarves have successfully taken down two dragons, the first rather comically (It's right claw was slightly damaged, after it walked a few tiles into the map it went unconscious. It woke to being jumped on by my 15 hammerdorfs.), the second completely epic-like (a legendary wrestler/grand master shield user/high master armor user wearing finely crafted donkey leather armor singlehandedly choked out the dragon without sustaining a single hit.). Point being, I now have a ton of dragon tallow, that has recently begun being processed into soap.

These chunks of soap are worth 1250 dorfbucks.

This begs the question- what can I make out of soap that will harness this value into something that I can use to help shut up my nobles?

SwiftAusterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The merits of soap
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 10:55:23 am »

Can you make trap components out of it? If so, upright soap spikes + soap mechanism lever + soap coffin = very quiet nobles ;)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 10:57:59 am »

I think a good use of your soapy riches would be to floor over the floor in the noble apartments. If you jam all the nobles in to one room and then put all the soap down as floors you will be over half way to making all of the rooms in that big room royal!

Edit: Sadly, I do not think that is possible. The spikes I mean.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:59:44 am by Criptfeind »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 11:01:09 am »

Soap is produced as a stone block, so you can make a support from it. Or a construction.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:09:51 am »

This begs the question
No it doesn't.

what can I make out of soap that will harness this value into something that I can use to help shut up my nobles?

As mentioned, anything made out of blocks. A well built with a dragon soap block will probably keep your dwarves quite happy (I think - don't recall if component value is taken into account or just its quality). If your King hasn't arrived yet and wants high road value, a few tiles of dragon soap road will satisfy his requirement almost instantly.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 11:18:29 am by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 12:08:10 pm »

dwarf fortress: where the roads are paved with...soap?

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 12:59:52 pm »

Make your well out of soap, and your dwarves will never use filthy language. Plus, they'll all look berserk, which will help with intimidation.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 05:34:40 pm »

Build whatever you need out of soap, then get it wet. Get some Yakkity Sax at the ready as you watch dwarves slide all over the place. Or, you can build a massive Slip 'n' Slide.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 05:59:20 pm »

Build whatever you need out of soap, then get it wet. Get some Yakkity Sax at the ready as you watch dwarves slide all over the place. Or, you can build a massive Slip 'n' Slide.

Does that really happen? (except for the yakkity sax part), cool.

Ashery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 06:00:30 pm »

Does that really happen? (except for the yakkity sax part), cool.

Doubt it.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 06:01:39 pm »

A single-tile-wide bridge over a chasm. Made of soap. Noble accomodation on one side, noble dining on the other.

Arrow-catching soap fortifications.

Soap floors inside the entrance, so mud, blood, and vomit aren't tracked indoors.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 06:14:32 pm »

A single-tile-wide bridge over a chasm. Made of soap. Noble accomodation on one side, noble dining on the other.

Arrow-catching soap fortifications.

Soap floors inside the entrance, so mud, blood, and vomit aren't tracked indoors.
And for noble execution, make sure some waterskins are also set at a decent height above the soap bridge to surprise the noble crossing the bridge. And how! Waterballoons and slippery-when-wet floors (especially made of soap) have to become a feature sometime. This could just spell comedy in the future. Of course, it could be adjusted in the init files, just in case it becomes too inconvenient. Plus, for adventuring and whatnot, it could also make anyone more cautious crossing steep landscapes (wet muddy floors). Tread carefully. ;)

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 06:57:14 pm »

Shame you can't make floodgates out of the stuff, really.
I think a good use of your soapy riches would be to floor over the floor in the noble apartments. If you jam all the nobles in to one room and then put all the soap down as floors you will be over half way to making all of the rooms in that big room royal!
Walls too?
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

Garfblarn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 07:18:49 pm »

Shame you can't make floodgates out of the stuff, really.
Walls too?

This. Does the value of the walls contribute to the value of the room?

Edit: Good ideas all around really, so far the soap road seems to be the most practical for my current fortress.

I've already made a bridge over a moat out of donkey soap, although anything has yet to slip off it (even in the rain). =[
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 07:22:27 pm by Garfblarn »

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 07:31:34 pm »

In a previous fort I both sold and built a sewer system from soap.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!
Pages: [1] 2