Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Removing Bow/Crossbows  (Read 2244 times)

Atlas

• Bay Watcher
  • Supertitanly Tough
    • View Profile
    • Rideo- Latin For Lol
Removing Bow/Crossbows
« on: July 21, 2009, 09:49:06 am »

I went through and removed all bows/crossbows from the raws.
Now my safe to adventure in! A little less FUN, but my last 3 adventurers have died to crossbows...

As long as i don't immediatelly run into a GSS, I can now train my skills!
Urist Austin, Axedwarf.  A dwarf barely alive.  Gentledwarves, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic dwarf. Urist Austin will be that dwarf. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
Re: Removing Bow/Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 12:57:56 pm »

Now my safe to adventure in! A little less FUN, but my last 3 adventurers have died to crossbows...

Normally its more fun to just make arrows do blunt damage. But indeed removing bows and crossbows all together is nice too, leads to more epic duels and less being sniped in the arse from half a mile away

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:58 pm »

But some of my most awesome adventures involve my dwarf running through a hail of bolts and arrows to get into a group of enemies. The only thing that matches it in coolness is the occasional "Sparta!!!" moment off the top of a dark fort.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2009, 01:37:05 am »

What happens when arrows and bolts do blunt damage?

Does it change the "Hey look, I just killed all your organs" to "Hey look, I just knocked you into orbit from a mile away"?

Or does it make bolts fairly weak and only do things like bruising arms?

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2009, 04:16:21 am »

Anyway have you tried lowering their damage? I never tried that myself.

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 11:00:58 pm »

What happens when arrows and bolts do blunt damage?

Does it change the "Hey look, I just killed all your organs" to "Hey look, I just knocked you into orbit from a mile away"?

Blunt damage makes them insanely less lethal. They might break a bone on a critical hit, but they'll never knock you down or do major internal damage. Unless you take one in the neck and snap your spine. Then the fun begins.

Basically, arrows do 100 damage at the base. For pierce damage thats dangerous, for blunt its rather like a bronze hammer

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 11:44:31 pm »

Normally its more fun to just make arrows do blunt damage. But indeed removing bows and crossbows all together is nice too, leads to more epic duels and less being sniped in the arse from half a mile away

But I like wiping out a pack of bears with a few arrows!

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 11:07:23 am »

But I like wiping out a pack of bears with a few arrows!

then don't change it. Just don't attack anything sentient because then you'll get your ass shot off.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 11:22:52 am »

Projectile weapons could stand to be readjusted, that's for sure.  Maybe a boost in range and power, and a huge reduction in rate of fire for crossbows, with bows shooting a little faster but dealing somewhat less damage.  I should be able to run four or five tiles while an archer nocks a new shaft, and cover a good ten or fifteen while even a skilled crossbowman reloads.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2009, 12:50:21 am »

I think the firing rate is the only problem; other than that I feel it's pretty good. I feel the archers fire with about the accuracy one would find to be real, just they fire so fast it feels like their aim is unbelievable. In the future when we can fight pitched battles against our enemies when the army arc is more developed I'm looking forward to the archers unleashing their deadly arrows against the approaching horde then reloading an appropriate amount of time. Those will be the days (I'm worried by the time Toady is finally finished this game I'm going to be too busy to do these sic things)
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2009, 11:14:12 am »

I still think range should be a factor, though.  My crossbowdwarfs don't even open up until the bad guy is about twenty yards away.  If I've got them two z-levels above the enemy, they should open up--with precision penalties--from hundreds of tiles away.
I brake for stumble bumblings

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2009, 11:35:06 am »

I still think range should be a factor, though.  My crossbowdwarfs don't even open up until the bad guy is about twenty yards away.  If I've got them two z-levels above the enemy, they should open up--with precision penalties--from hundreds of tiles away.

NOT A GOOD IDEA

think about this.

You walk into town and punch a child. Suddenly you're struck down by 5 arrows from rangers that were sitting on top of the temple.

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2009, 12:33:41 pm »

NOT A GOOD IDEA

think about this.

You walk into town and punch a child. Suddenly you're struck down by 5 arrows from rangers that were sitting on top of the temple.

I don't think this would be that bad as long as the accuracy is believable; most of those shots would miss and if they were firing crossbows it would take a minute or so before they could fire another round.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2009, 12:35:35 pm »

Currently, it's Dakka Dakka Dakka, so no. It would be horrible. 8 arrows in 4 frames from 5 archers.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2009, 01:16:25 pm »

In fortress mode, I don't have any complaints about the range, and you can always nerf the damage (so that they can pierce eyes and lungs like you'd expect them to, but not often). Apart from that they need a reload time, which I made a suggestion thread for elsewhere. In adventure mode however, a ranged weapon should NEVER be fireable to beyond your field of vision, unless the enemy has a very good reason to be able to see farther than you- but if you're a human in a human town, you should be able to see the shooter if they can see you, ALWAYS. In addition, the message should be elaborated to "The flying arrow hits you in the arm, from northeast and above..." or something.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: [1] 2