Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Removing Bow/Crossbows  (Read 2235 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Removing Bow/Crossbows
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2009, 01:40:30 pm »

you should be able to see the shooter if they can see you, ALWAYS.
Not if their stealthed But yes ALWAYS.

To be honest the limited sight range now doesnt make alot of sense...

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2009, 05:14:27 pm »

I just changed the damage of arrows and bolts from 100 to 60, with some shield/armour skill they arnt that much of a threat anymore.

Though it would indeed be a lot nicer to be able to change that proposterous firing rate. Realy, even with 60 damage your bound to get unlucky at some point when you take 30 of them before reaching the archer.

It gives you a good reason to use sneaking though. And throwing spears, that works too.

Also, just getting plain bad luck and dying from it doesnt happen much more with archers then with melee enemies, with 60 damage that is. Happend rather often that some random farmer punches my guy in the lower body, and he actualy dies from it withour any prior damage. Just punch, splat, dead. Plate armour ignored. Not much more fun then the game crashing, but again, it gives you a reason to not just charge brainlessly into the open.

And well, if you just want that brainless charging about (which can be kinda fun), you can allways mod in an adventurer race with damblock:1000 and speed:400
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 05:44:56 pm »

I've got a whole different theory about the adventurer's vision problems, but that's not really this discussion.  Limiting archers' range because of myopia is right up there with making dwarfs eat more because food is so easy to grow.  Coming at it from the wrong end, I'd say.
I brake for stumble bumblings

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2009, 06:11:18 pm »

I think the problem is that arrows do the same damage as spears (or very similar damage).  The thing is that arrows/ bolts -

1. Can be shot very fast
2. If stuck in can continue to be fired (unlike with spears)

So the cause of death becomes massive internal organ damage rather than the bleeding twisting end you normally meet from a spear.  The damage could be nerfed quite a bit, and changing to blunt would be a good interim (side note: changing to slash isn't a great idea, it's not fun (at least in the conventional sense) having arms severed from the other side of the map, and changing the damage to gore is an even worse idea, unless you like the idea of becoming a flayed corpse).  I think the knock backs require strength from the attacker, or something, and I think the arrows lose a lot of lethality (ie they are only lethal on a lethal strike, rather than one of their very frequent crits)>

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2009, 06:16:52 pm »

When your legendary you should be able to slice those bloody bolts and arrows out of the the bloody air rather than just martial trance.

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2009, 08:52:52 pm »

you should be able to see the shooter if they can see you, ALWAYS.
Not if their stealthed But yes ALWAYS.

To be honest the limited sight range now doesnt make alot of sense...

Most of the time, you're in sight. At least, from experience.
Pages: 1 [2]