Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: We want danger!!  (Read 1518 times)

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
We want danger!!
« on: July 21, 2009, 06:37:38 am »

Seeing as my current fort has slipped down to a mere 14ish FPS I've decided it's time to abandon and start again =D

However the last fort I had was rather a bit too safe. I'd perfer it was a little more... Fun...

I never seem to get the masses of dangerous beasties that are reported in Boatmurdered and Nist Akath. Granted the elephants have been tuned down a notch.

What sort of places should I go to find way dangerous animals?

Also are there some mods I should install to get more dangerous creatures? (although personally I'd rather stick with vanilla DF)
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: We want danger!!
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 06:41:20 am »

Orcs.

Also, turn off all the forbid options in o -> F (to "Claim") for fun.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 08:18:39 am »

Large skeletal creatures may provide a bit of a challenge, as can stopping world gen early, say <200, when you'll have more megabeasts come visit.

I do also heartily reccomend the orc mod. Very challenging. If you don't want to go that far, add trap-immune and no-fear tags to goblins. They'll hold up a wee bit better.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 08:22:27 pm »

Actually, is there any way to mod elephants back to their glory days for Boatmurdered II?
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 08:43:43 pm »

Probably give them the [liKESFIGHTING] tag and remove the [BENIGN] tag.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 09:32:55 pm »

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 10:04:07 pm »

I'm actually working on a little pet mod for myself that includes various creatures in otherwise odd areas, ie. Joyous Wilds mountain predators, Sinister Desert area creatures, and lots of savage good/benign evil creatures galore. I'm trying to get boring areas souped up a little in difficulty, and I'm also planning on adding some "generic zerg" [CAN_LEARN][CAN_SPEAK] creatures that breed like rabbits and hang around your fortress, constantly besieging it.

Actually, now that I think of it, just modding some good ol' bandits in and turning their LITTERSIZE way up to get them to come in droves each year would be very Fun. Maybe make them steal your stuff with TRAPAVOID and EQUIPS, with [CURIOUSBEAST] added in? Would certainly make the game more exciting.

Plus: skeletal bandits. You know you want them. :)

But yeah, just mod in a bunch of zerg creatures with middling strength. That should get you somewhere.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Murray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 10:17:58 pm »

Embark on a cave in a terrifying region, using the orcs mod with no source of infinite water. No traps.

FUN
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 10:24:10 pm by Murray »

Anticipation

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 01:29:19 am »

Thanks everyone. One thing I'm definatly doing as adding  the bit from Ledgandary Lands that makes the Megabeasts massive during worldgen but then back to normal afterwards.
Reality is like a wasps nest, stay away and you won't get stung.

Teranar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 10:54:00 am »

Didn't there used to be a way to make sieges happen far more often?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2009, 02:43:04 am »

Didn't there used to be a way to make sieges happen far more often?

I believe modding in multiple instances of a hostile civilization and embarking where you can go against them would do it.

In other words, quadruple the orc population.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 03:22:11 am »

Make sure that all the goblins and animals have dragonfire, can fly, have trapavoid, and destroy buildings(2). Also try magical dwarves for a quick thrill.