Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"  (Read 12260 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"
« Reply #90 on: July 28, 2009, 09:36:07 pm »

A lot of people here seem to be missing out on one key aspect of graphics support:

Everything having unique tiles is great, but what about colors?

Ideally, we should be able to assign any 24-bit RGB value to items instead of assigning a number from a 16-color palette. In fact, the only reason DF HAS that sort of palette (that I know of) is historical reasons related to Curses, I guess. There would literally be no downside to this except whatever time it takes to code, and I honestly do not think it would take very much.

Really, it would just be nice if all the different metals looked the same, and things weren't so unrealistically colored: Right now rose gold is shocking pink, for instance, instead of the slightly-coppery gold it should be.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #91 on: July 28, 2009, 10:49:59 pm »

A lot of people here seem to be missing out on one key aspect of graphics support:

Ideally, we should be able to assign any 24-bit RGB value to items instead of assigning a number from a 16-color palette. In fact, the only reason DF HAS that sort of palette (that I know of) is historical reasons related to Curses, I guess. There would literally be no downside to this except whatever time it takes to code, and I honestly do not think it would take very much.

Really, it would just be nice if all the different metals looked the same, and things weren't so unrealistically colored: Right now rose gold is shocking pink, for instance, instead of the slightly-coppery gold it should be.

Can't we do that already with the existing tiles?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 28, 2009, 11:30:53 pm »

I think seed color is already full RGB for some reason, so yeah, it's probably just something he hasn't gotten around to.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 29, 2009, 03:05:04 am »

Can't we do that already with the existing tiles?

Yes and no.

You can add a green speck to the tile for a "stone", sure.

But the foreground and background colors for the stone will still be determined by the material, obviously.

And the colors for those, along with any color of anything affected by materials, is drawn from the 16-color palette.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 29, 2009, 08:26:21 am »

Doesn't that affect preferences though?  I certainly don't want to have to deal with dwarves that like the color A312F3...

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 29, 2009, 08:31:27 am »

uhh...

colors come automatically with full tile support.

just looks at the colors in the existing creature graphic packs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #96 on: July 29, 2009, 08:36:43 am »

Doesn't that affect preferences though?  I certainly don't want to have to deal with dwarves that like the color A312F3...

Could be solved by "Likes the color Red" being parsed as liking any color with more red than blue/green. Or simply "Likes the color of silver" and he'd like anything with the same color as silver.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 29, 2009, 09:09:19 am »

Could be solved by "Likes the color Red" being parsed as liking any color with more red than blue/green. Or simply "Likes the color of silver" and he'd like anything with the same color as silver.

While that's true, it's gonna cause hell for the colorblind or people who just can't tell if that color is a green or a blue....  imagine the fun fun bug reports for that one!  "I put a green chair in his room, but he doesn't like it!!!"  "Teal is considered to be blue by dwarfs, not green"

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #98 on: July 29, 2009, 09:10:23 am »

While that's true, it's gonna cause hell for the colorblind or people who just can't tell if that color is a green or a blue....  imagine the fun fun bug reports for that one!  "I put a green chair in his room, but he doesn't like it!!!"  "Teal is considered to be blue by dwarfs, not green"

Good point. Perhaps have every item list its perceived color.. or add in paint!

"What? You don't like the green chair? Fine go paint it blue yourself!"

kaypy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 29, 2009, 09:18:35 am »

colors come automatically with full tile support.
just looks at the colors in the existing creature graphic packs.
Except that creatures are a lot less dependent on materials than objects are: you dont need to worry about different colours for green glass elves vs obsidian elves vs gold elves etc (at least until we can add workshop options for "Coat live creature in X" 8-)

Or to put it another way making a separate icons for (types of objects) x (available materials) is gonna be a rather excessive workload on graphics set builders.

If it makes any difference (not sure how much 'likes color' does right now), I think that the dwarf world color should be separated from the display color- cosmetic graphics packs should not affect gameplay.

(hmm kinda ninja'd on this point)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #100 on: July 29, 2009, 09:23:47 am »

Except that creatures are a lot less dependent on materials than objects are: you dont need to worry about different colours for green glass elves vs obsidian elves vs gold elves etc (at least until we can add workshop options for "Coat live creature in X" 8-)

Or to put it another way making a separate icons for (types of objects) x (available materials) is gonna be a rather excessive workload on graphics set builders.

Creature 'color' is just as important because objects made from the creature often derive their color from the creature. And the way DF is headed, we may be able to define a creature as being made of a material, which will probably mean it will inherit the material's color.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 29, 2009, 10:18:49 am »

Creature 'color' is just as important because objects made from the creature often derive their color from the creature. And the way DF is headed, we may be able to define a creature as being made of a material, which will probably mean it will inherit the material's color.

I'm not sure that would need to happen graphically though... At least not with RGB or RGBt

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 29, 2009, 10:25:02 am »

I don't really care, as long as I can make mountain goats and goblin wrestlers a different colour, or sheep and spiders etc.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 29, 2009, 10:27:23 am »

descriptor_color_standard

[OBJECT:DESCRIPTOR]

[COLOR:AMBER]
   [NAME:amber]
   [RGB:255:191:0]

[COLOR:AMETHYST]
   [NAME:amethyst]
   [RGB:153:102:204]

[COLOR:AQUA]
   [NAME:aqua]
   [RGB:0:255:255]

[COLOR:AQUAMARINE]
   [NAME:aquamarine]
   [RGB:127:255:212]

[COLOR:AZURE]
   [NAME:azure]
   [RGB:0:127:255]

[COLOR:BEIGE]
   [NAME:beige]
   [RGB:245:245:220]

umm... I see something here.....

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 29, 2009, 10:36:06 am »

umm... I see something here.....

Yes but these colors are completely divorced from certain elements of the game, particularly materials.  Anywhere in the raws where you encounter "[COLOR:5:0:0]", you're stuck with the 16 color palette, and this is just about everywhere.  Stones, metals, plants, gems, for example.  Or the colors that trees go through over their lifespan (it's hard coded, but still stuck to the 16 color palette).  Pretty much everything that actually matters.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9