Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"  (Read 12279 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2009, 08:31:26 pm »

For the record, whether the tilesets are stored as PNG or BMP is completely meaningless to run-time memory use; they are always decompressed to the equivalent of bitmaps before being uploaded to the GPU, because that's the only thing opengl can handle. (And besides, I doubt you want the overhead of decompressing a PNG every frame. :P)

This is pretty unimportant, though. A large graphical tileset takes up a few megabytes of GPU memory, due to increase 50-100% with SVG tiles for those who turn on mip-mapping.

Given that even a low-end GPU these days ships with 128MB of graphics memory, I'm not worried in the slightest about texture memory.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 23, 2009, 10:28:11 pm »

For the record, whether the tilesets are stored as PNG or BMP is completely meaningless to run-time memory use; they are always decompressed to the equivalent of bitmaps before being uploaded to the GPU, because that's the only thing opengl can handle. (And besides, I doubt you want the overhead of decompressing a PNG every frame. :P)

I realized this a couple hours after posting and was like "god, I'm so going to get called out on that."  But yeah, good to know that it doesn't matter either way.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2009, 08:27:16 am »

lets see, i think that ask people to vote for a suggestion is just plain wrong, it breaks the whole idea of a fair vote, if thats the point, then someone could make a thread for each suggestion

That doesn't make any sense

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2009, 08:33:50 am »

Trying to convince people that something is a good suggestion is fine.

Trying to drum up some kind of silly movement to vote for something just in order to get it into the #10 spot reeks of trying to game a system that hardly has any hard and fast rules to begin with; it's not as if Toady is going to not look at the #11 spot at all just because it's a few votes below #10. He's not doing this robotically, you know.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2009, 08:38:03 am »

I agree that it's silly, but every person that decides to go and vote for graphics has two votes left over for other stuff. 

Even the people who read this and decide it's a horrible idea will still go check out the suggestions list.

It's all win

Edit:

And let's be honest... the suggestions board users are a small subset of the forum users which is probably a very small subset of DF players.  Broader coverage is a good thing.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 08:40:17 am by Granite26 »

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:33 am »

I agree that it's silly, but every person that decides to go and vote for graphics has two votes left over for other stuff. 

Even the people who read this and decide it's a horrible idea will still go check out the suggestions list.

It's all win

Edit:

And let's be honest... the suggestions board users are a small subset of the forum users which is probably a very small subset of DF players.  Broader coverage is a good thing.

Something is NOT in the top ten for a reason. Trying to drum up support for your favorite thing isn't acceptable no matter what you think the ultimate benefits for it is.

It disgusts me that Graphics made it to #10 over Automining, and I think Room System designated workshops are vastly more important than either.

yet there are a lot of people who disagree with my priorities. That's fine, I am not going to demand people go vote for my favorites. I have more respect for the opinions of others than that.

Edit: Something to keep in mind when you cheer on his actions, it was just as easy for him to post "Check out the top 20, Graphics are #11" without telling others how to vote.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:22:52 am by Kogan Loloklam »
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 24, 2009, 09:35:24 am »

When was the last time you took a course or learned anything about how democracies work?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 24, 2009, 11:52:27 am »

Trying to drum up support for your favorite thing isn't acceptable no matter what you think the ultimate benefits for it is.

Is this principle an opinion that you're trying to impose on me?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2009, 01:34:19 pm »

Something to keep in mind when you cheer on his actions, it was just as easy for him to post "Check out the top 20, Graphics are #11" without telling others how to vote.
It's also perfectly possible for Tide to ask everyone to buy laundry detergent without mentioning their product, but they'd like it to be their product you buy.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

riffraffselbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 28, 2009, 03:03:52 am »

Something is NOT in the top ten for a reason. Trying to drum up support for your favorite thing isn't acceptable no matter what you think the ultimate benefits for it is.

It disgusts me that Graphics made it to #10 over Automining, and I think Room System designated workshops are vastly more important than either.

yet there are a lot of people who disagree with my priorities. That's fine, I am not going to demand people go vote for my favorites. I have more respect for the opinions of others than that.

Edit: Something to keep in mind when you cheer on his actions, it was just as easy for him to post "Check out the top 20, Graphics are #11" without telling others how to vote.
As much as I feel the lack of full tileset support is one of the biggest things holding DF back, I gotta agree that automine is HUGE in benefit, and probably relatively simple in execution.
"And God saw that the world was too moist, and that none of the Scorpion race could be placed upon it; and so he started over."

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 28, 2009, 03:39:54 am »

Is this about fully-featured graphics or just support for full graphical representation?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #86 on: July 28, 2009, 04:03:13 am »

While I think full 3d graphics would rock my -pig tail sock- off, I think some isometric tile/sprite-based graphics would be far easier to add.

That said, its hardly a priority. It would have the benefits of wider exposure, which means (hopefully) more donations.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 28, 2009, 09:08:23 am »

Is this about fully-featured graphics or just support for full graphical representation?

My understanding is that the only thing likely to happen is rewriting the tile code such that everything can have a seperately defined tile (so the wells and rings and the letter 'o' don't all use the same graphic through the entire system)

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2009, 04:59:14 pm »

wouldn't that be "full tile support" rather than "full graphics support"?  now we both know it doesn't mean 3D or even isometric support, but it still leaves room for: animated tiles, job flagging for alternative tiles, equipment flagging for alternative tiles, experience flagging for alternative tiles, and maybe some others i haven't thought of.

by flagging i mean a miner having a different miner tile when the miner is mining or wearing plate, etc.  which could be different for a wood cutter mining.  currently elites flash two different colors, which i don't think a tile can do.

some people might even be thinking that it means finishing the 3D viewer into something useful.

full graphics support is far too general to not get plenty of surplus votes.

smokingwreckage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2009, 09:22:23 pm »

If it's full tile support then I vote a thousand yesses. If it's having Toady spend the next year and a half trying to make and skin 3D models for every possible dwarf, I vote a thousand times no.

By my lights, it'd be nice to be able to attach animations, transparencies or even glow effects to notifications and designations, and stop the frigawful blinking: I'm not asking for a default graphics package, but for a system that will allow 3rd party graphics packages to stretch their legs and take a look around. There's room in the game- and sufficient complexity to warrant- for much more sophisticated visual information.

I'm a cheerfully semi-failed artist, and the game just sets my brain on fire with the potential for subtle visual cues to add an immediately available (toggle on off by feature) overview of the many layers of status pages, allowing amongst  other things information-gathering (workshop and stocks status for example) without pausing the game.

Of course, this might be really bloody hard to even permit, let alone implement, if you know what I mean. Maybe a full system of unique tile, creature, flag, notification identifiers breaks the code horribly?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9