Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"  (Read 12287 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Vote for "Full Graphics Support"
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2009, 11:43:10 pm »

Most def.

Idles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 23, 2009, 05:31:18 am »

I'd just like to add that I'm in favor of "full graphics support", so long as it means that each thing in the game can use a unique tile image, including specifying colors, just like what happens now for creatures. This would allow people who like ASCII characters to continue using ASCII characters, and for people like Mike Mayday to create graphical tilesets that do not mess up the text displayed in the interface.

Just this simple change would allow us to get rid of black space in the game entirely. The game, with a proper tileset, would become much more visually appealing to new players. This may very well help with donations. I say this because one of the most common complaints about the game that I've read people posting on the internet is:

I can't understand what's happening on the screen by simple visual inspection ( often expressed as "this has terrible graphics" or "I don't get what's happening").

There are lots of people out there who have tried the game, and are clearly interested by the premise and the richness of the gameplay. But they get driven away by the game's appearance, thinking it's inscrutable and that they'll never understand it. Just remember how many people have admitted that they were turned off by the game until trying out Mike Mayday's tileset. It's a great way to bring new fans and donations to the game.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2009, 05:49:55 am »

Few people are against Full Graphics support as a whole. (at least as an option to eventually impliment)

I think people are against begging for votes on the Eternal suggestion boards and question its priority.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2009, 08:56:59 am »

I sort of doubt it'd be implemented anyway if it made first place. It's a lot more work to do it earlier than later.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2009, 09:10:10 am »

I sort of doubt it'd be implemented anyway if it made first place. It's a lot more work to do it earlier than later.

Only it's not, see...  extending the symbol (with Ascii code and tile number) code to all objects only gets done once.  Adding the symbol to each object is time per the number of objects.  In the future, as more objects are added, it'll take extra time to set up the symbol (much like the new creature raws mean it will take extra time to make each creature, only two numbers instead of a bajillion layers).  Waiting till later will actually INCREASE the initial time, because more objects will need to be changed from the old code to the new code, whereas doing it now means each object takes slightly longer (5-10 secs), but saves having to go back through the code fixing it all over the place (longer than 5-10 secs a piece).

You are thinking of the UI code, where you would be correct.  UI involves a lot of adding and subtracting and adjusting and tweaking.  That time would end up wasted when an additional set of functions came along, as the optimization and organization would need to be redone

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 23, 2009, 10:25:32 am »

I'm quite content letting the multithreading discussion die but I do want to point out that your views and opinions of multithreading seem to be misinformed. I suggest reading up more on multithreading ( google site:gamasutra.com multithreading ). You should also think more about what FPS is and what it means with and without a multithreaded system.

As for graphics, if any arcs are intending to introduce a large amount of new objects into the game (underground diversity maybe?) then do the graphics during/before that arc so you don't have to do redo all the new assets again down the line.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 11:51:06 am »

As for graphics, if any arcs are intending to introduce a large amount of new objects into the game (underground diversity maybe?) then do the graphics during/before that arc so you don't have to do redo all the new assets again down the line.

Toady probably won't be doing art assets himself in any case.  But yeah, I think graphics falls into the "better sooner than later" category, although not as firmly as changes to fundamental systems like the material rewrite.

jamoecw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2009, 11:55:26 am »

^^^ What's #3 about?  Warez?  That's not really flamebait per se.
It is certainly ban bait.

where can i get this game for free?  you know like a warez. ::)

how can a free game be turned into warez?  non sanctioned mirrors?

there is this other game that the demo is the full game minus the ability to level up past either 3 or 4, and someone was asking about a problem with his warez for it.  the demo is so easy to edit in everything you get from leveling up, that using the demo in such a way was like using warez only without the worse problems his warez had.  i was deeply confused as to why anyone would bother creating a warez for the game in the first place, now you have suggested something that makes even less sense to make into warez, so the question is what are you thinking of?  or possibly is there something as silly as warez for this game? and if so why ban such an idiot?

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 23, 2009, 12:08:48 pm »

ASCII FOREVER!!!
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

father_alexander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 23, 2009, 12:19:57 pm »

lets see, i think that ask people to vote for a suggestion is just plain wrong, it breaks the whole idea of a fair vote, if thats the point, then someone could make a thread for each suggestion

that aside, i do think graphic support will be nice, i dont mean graphics made by toady, just make it easier to use graphic sets, sure i can live with the ascii, but some graphic sets really add to the game, like the round walls one, and also make the game much simpler (at least it has made it a bit more enjoyable for me), people shouldnt loose the chance to use ascii if they wish, but graphics would be MUCH easier to use and that should also bring more players

Taisuru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 23, 2009, 12:25:32 pm »

I personally think full graphics support really isn't necessary. The ASCII graphics have pretty much become Iconic for the game, and I find them rather charming.

If anything, I say make it so a broader range of colors can be used for the ASCII text.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2009, 12:44:08 pm »

If you're forced to beg for votes for it, I feel it's not worth the time yet.

Seriously.  You can wait until he's got the core mechanics polished.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Kamrusepas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2009, 05:48:29 pm »

The second Dwarf fortress adds "full graphics" thats when it stops being "dwarf fortress"...get what i'm saying?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2009, 06:41:03 pm »

Did people miss the whole thing with the creator of the game saying 'please don't be so exclusive'. How does just making it /possible/ for people to use graphics sets somehow make this a different game entirely, a game that is 'not dwarf fortress'?

I mean I don't use tilesets myself, I've tried and I can't make heads or tails of it.  I wouldn't enjoy playing the game like that and I'd hate to be forced to play it that way. So... why should people who find the ASCII graphics equally as confusing be forced to use them just because you want to be elitist about it?

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2009, 06:56:47 pm »

Yay another graphics topic.  I always assumed "full graphics support" meant making all the representations separate from each other.  I play in ASCII and like it so I didn't vote for it.  I don't feel threatened by it though.

I still play Nethack the old-fashioned way.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9