Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Exotic Diseases and Cures (formaly 'A Dwarvish rabies you say?!')  (Read 3242 times)

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

This feature would add onto the upcomming hospital/Diseases/Poisons additions by adding some variety on top of a standard 'aquire affliction,apply treatment, release when cured' cycle.

http://www.bay12games.com/forum/eternal_voting.php

Having a dwarf become afflicted with one of these conditions should be exciting in of itself as you will need to take action to ensure that the disease doesn't increase in severity. Curing these diseases should be harder then average or at least require some action from the user, requiring special procedures or harder to obtain materials.

Suggested example diseases:

1) Class: Zombie/Werewolf like Infections
    Traits:This disease is caused due to a flesh injury from an infected creature and causes the dwarve to:
 a)[Zombie] become increasingly ill over a period of time based on their toughness. After this period the subject would pass out resulting in the healthcare dwarves either bringing him to his room or hospital or whatever is appropriate. 
 b)[WereCreature] change into the alternate creature (could be a Werecow for all we know) during a specific month or season.

During the appropriate period of time the dwarf will either go berserk, or turn into a different creature class "zombie dwarf" for example, and would attack his fellow dwarves. Any flesh injuries from this dwarf will result in the same cycle as before.

Cure: Usually in these cases the dwarves would be required to kill their turned comrade but perhaps a rare potion (golden salve) or plant could reverse the effects before they change over. They could keep the infected locked up in their room indefinably or place them in a cage for display. They could also use it in an elaborate trap where he is released into the wilds to ambush unsuspecting goblin sieges.

This will allow for interesting scenarioes such as:
1) quarentine procedures on dwaves with symptoms that may be zombie related but may end up just being a basic fevor.
2) needing to set alarms for dwarves to run to the "panic room" burrow due to zombie infections, only to have an infected dwarf inside turn zombie and wreck havok on the crowed rooms.
3) The 'tough' desision to kill off a dwarve before he turns if it looks like he has become infected.
4) historical events due to a zombie infection wiping out towns or civilizations.

2)Class: Parasitic Infections.
   Traits: These afflictions are caused by some type of contact with a young form of the specific parasite, whether from dirty water, raw meat or other enviromental factors. They could be as simple as a minor inconvienence where a dwarf would need to eat more (tapeworms) or may have some minor stat disability (ring worm). On the far end of things, parasites would become increasingly exotic resulting in disfigurement or even thought control (like the new resident evil games with the parasite taking over the entire body)
  Cure: These should be easier to cure using more conventional hospital options but more dangerous types require the same drastic methods as the zombie infection.

There is an awesome thread by Coyote Sans detailing parasitic mushrooms:
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=38482.0

3)Class: Genetic Diseases
   Traits: these diseases could be relatively minor and would arrive as a trait or preference of the dwarf who carries it. A dwarf could pass these traits along to their children. These could result in minor changes to the behavior or stats of the dwarf, a severe case would be making them allergic to alcohol. Creature specific mutations would fit under this category and would fit with the model of generating super monsters from a variety of templates. This would allow for games where you want all creatures to have a very high level of mutation and see what kind of bizarre immigrants show up each season.
   Cure: if it becomes an issue, theres nothing that water and magma can't cure.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 09:19:47 am by buman »

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: A Dwarvish rabies you say?!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:53:05 pm »

when the diseases get done, zombie infestations will be included.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:53:21 pm »

this is a pretty nice ideaa Buman!

not often we get any of those.

i must state, however, that this may well be possibly in the next update, with pisons and diseases.

wait and see.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 10:29:35 pm »

It's certainly been considered. The thoughts do include 'has been harassed by a dead but still annoying aquaintance lately'.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 11:09:22 pm »

Has been feeling sick lately. Enjoy a great meal. Admired a statue. Was bitten by a friend.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 02:28:57 am »

Burn the corpse to prevent some sort of disease causing miasma.With torches.I want torches.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 03:13:39 am »

Oh. "The last man on Earth" :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 03:38:03 am »

While I wouldn't include such a thing into the vanilla game, it should certainly be possible

Mr Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:02:27 am »

So now people will be deathly paranoid and flood their hospitals with lava at the first sign of illness.

AWESOME.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 09:58:05 am »

wait.

why arent you ALREADY flooding the hospital with magma?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:34:25 am »

wait.

why arent you ALREADY flooding the hospital with magma?
why do you have a hospital? I just let my wound dwarfs die.

Jakkarra

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chairman.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 11:01:58 am »

my way is easier.

they act as a container untill they die, they get dragged to my beds, Strapped in and get to stare at the kitten i tie up behind some glass for them.

then they get a nice warm bath.

any iron shit they have is easily collected from the spotless room.

buman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:26:11 pm »

I've posted a suggestion on the suggestion site and expanded it to exotic diseases and cures.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 09:42:13 pm by buman »

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Diseases and Cures (formaly 'A Dwarvish rabies you say?!')
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 10:53:44 pm »

lol i can imagine a bunch of dwarves crammed into a panic room all piled up holding a splintered door shut with the undead moaning and pounding on it from outside.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Diseases and Cures (formaly 'A Dwarvish rabies you say?!')
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2009, 02:32:40 am »

Surely this would result in Zombie Spirals.

I approve.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.
Pages: [1] 2 3