Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Exotic Diseases and Cures (formaly 'A Dwarvish rabies you say?!')  (Read 3233 times)

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
Re: Exotic Diseases and Cures (formaly 'A Dwarvish rabies you say?!')
« Reply #30 on: September 29, 2009, 05:20:06 pm »

I think the clearest separation between curses and diseases is how you contract them.  Anyway:

Generalization of "zombie" and "skeleton" to broader curses/sphere-related alterations

Zombies have been discussed a great deal, and werewolves would probably use the same code.  Toady has mentioned before that they are very enthusiastic about including parasites.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 29, 2009, 05:25:38 pm »

I think the clearest separation between curses and diseases is how you contract them

You can catch both the same ways though. (Though I don't picture Curse Miasmas. So that could be one difference)

Mind you one difference also is that Curses arn't physical beings. So Curses don't pass through the body and systematically shuts you down and they likely arn't affected by the health of those infected with it unless it is specific to the curse (rather then being universal for Diseases)

Along with this curses can envelope triggers and effects outside a disease purview such as requiring moonlight or giving the individual badluck. A Disease can only have internal triggers if any at all.

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2009, 02:27:00 am »

And we can have zombie sharmen the make all the dead things in yor fort det up and kill and if a dwarf just ate meat Uristmcsatisfied will be UristmcDead

smeej

• Bay Watcher
  • The last thing you remember...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2011, 03:16:08 pm »

Bumping since we've already discussed diseases, but I think the enhancements made in animal farming are a good way to introduce parasites. Raising animals in poor conditions (such as being too cramped or being exposed to wild animals) and who do not have a caretaker could get parasites (some detectable, some not) and that could carry into their products and have a whole host (hehe) of effects on the dwarves. Utter sickness and even complete personality shifts in dwarves would give more work for doctors, too.
IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
Pages: 1 2 [3]