Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: farming (dwarves decide to stop) (something to do with economy?)  (Read 2639 times)

Kav

• Bay Watcher
  • b-C-w
    • View Profile
Re: farming (dwarves decide to stop) (something to do with economy?)
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 03:49:25 pm »

I swear I've noticed this behavior with my farmers but I might be wrong.

It happens when I have 2 excellent farmers and maybe only 2 or 3 average sized or small farm plots. The farmers will plant them down to the last square very quickly. Then after harvesting them they won't plant on that plot again till next season. When I check 'q' the crops show as red even though I have 200 seeds. So it seems like they will only plant one crop per square per season.

Maybe

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 04:05:54 pm »

I think this is true - some crops grow very quickly, much, much faster than 12 weeks, but you never get more than 4 harvests/year.

Don't bother.

Sorry to say that, Albedo, but you're grasping at straws. They'll eat everything else without a food preference, so why the fuck wouldn't seeds work the same way?

Are you suggesting that "logic" plays a part in this game?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<phew!>

Oh, that's a good one.

I might be wrong - I think I've seen seeds eaten, but my memory is not infallible - but to suggest that because you don't think it's appropriate... oh, man... :D
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:09:10 pm by Albedo »

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 04:14:11 pm »

I haven't noticed this behavior. I've seen farm plots getting planted twice a season, especially if I have more than one dedicated grower trotting around.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 04:44:46 pm »

oh, man... :D

You don't think there's any logic in this game? Well, how's this for logic: shit is either edible or it isn't. It may be edible raw (e.g. berries), may require cooking (flours) or will only be eaten under special circumstances (vermin). Malicus' test has shown that raw seeds will not get eaten even by starving dwarves, and that's a pretty strong indicator when determining whether something is edible or not. That preference might be an overriding factor in this case is a claim that's gonna require more proof than the hearsay that was this far quoted.

The burden of proof is on your side, so kindly refrain from any wise-ass comments when I, or anyone else, might be inclined to call your claim ridiculous.

EDIT: Seeing how I've got nothing better to do right now, I've decided to do your work for you. I've forbidden all my food now and am playing the wait game now. Just so we're clear, I've got at least one guy who likes plump helmet spawn, so I figure I'll be thorough in my experiment.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 04:54:50 pm by assimilateur »

lodester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2009, 04:58:11 pm »

shit is either edible or it isn't.

I um. Ah.

So, where I come from: Not edible.

Call me old fashioned, but i like it that way.

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 23, 2009, 05:22:15 pm »

Okay, like I said, I tried again, just because I like to prove Albedo wrong.  This time I have a dwarf who likes rock nuts.  I sealed her into a room into which the only access is a hole that things can be dropped down.  I dropped down some wine and all the seeds, including rock nuts.  Sure enough, she got to starving...  and then vermin somehow got down there, and she's back to hungry.  I'll have to deal with that somehow, preferably without unsealing her.

...I somehow just got 5 migrants in mid-summer.  I don't know why.

Ugh.  After clearing it of vermin and waiting, she went to starving again...  then some more vermin somehow got in there.  I give up.

And then I drowned her.  Maybe I should have brought a cat for this test, even though I detest them.  Eh.  Oh well.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2009, 06:15:23 pm by Malicus »

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 23, 2009, 05:33:28 pm »

Shouldn't the fact that she even went hungry, let alone starving, be proof enough?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 24, 2009, 03:40:01 am »

It happens when I have 2 excellent farmers and maybe only 2 or 3 average sized or small farm plots. The farmers will plant them down to the last square very quickly. Then after harvesting them they won't plant on that plot again till next season. When I check 'q' the crops show as red even though I have 200 seeds. So it seems like they will only plant one crop per square per season.

kav, the red seed colour is not because you don't have those seeds, it's that it is too late in the season to plant that particular crop. some crops can't be planted late into a season...just so you know...

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition
Pages: 1 2 [3]