Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: farming (dwarves decide to stop) (something to do with economy?)  (Read 2641 times)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: farming (dwarves decide to stop) (something to do with economy?)
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 08:28:15 am »

yes, that's how it sounds - but i didn't check the soldier's backpack before the farmer rushed him, so i wondered if the soldier maybe had the seed in the backpack? and it was just causing problems with the planting of the fields while one farmer plucked up the courage to go and get it, or such like.

**throws up hands** i don't know! it's all i've got though! very odd behaviour..... :s

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2009, 08:43:58 am »

Yeah, I figure it's best to write this off as a weird-ass glitch and move on.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2009, 08:46:21 am »

**writes it up as a weird-ass glitch and moves on**

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2009, 01:09:46 pm »

You mean they had queued up an as of yet - in game terms - nonexistent seed, namely one that was part of an uneaten vegetable?

I think he means that the one seed, the "next one in line" to be planted was in a soldier's backpack, as part of his rations - yes?

Or, possibly, it was a seed of X type, a fisherberry seed, and while perhaps that one specific fisherberry seed was not released, a fisherberry plant was eaten - the seed from that then filled the slot for that "next seed to be planted", and the logjam was broken.

If so, if you think that's (close to) what happened, that should be put into bugs - if not as a proper "bug" then at least to call Toady's attention to it.  I have NO idea how the game "should" handle that - but it's weird enough to make sure he's aware of it.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 01:57:58 pm »

I think he means that the one seed, the "next one in line" to be planted was in a soldier's backpack, as part of his rations - yes?

Dwarves eating raw seeds would be news to me.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 03:53:36 pm »

Newsflash - dwarves eat raw seeds.  Some even prefer them, as listed in their profile.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 03:57:36 pm »

I was aware of such preferences being possible, but that did not logically entail raw edibility of seeds. Guess I was wrong.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2009, 04:04:52 pm »

Newsflash - dwarves eat raw seeds.  Some even prefer them, as listed in their profile.

I've never ever ever seen a dwarf eat a raw seed in the entire history of me playing Dwarf Fortress. If you have, I'm willing to take your word for it.

Preferences can apply to things that are edible but not necessarily edible raw. If a dwarf likes plump helmet spawn, they'd enjoy a plump helmet spawn roast, for example, but that does not mean that he will eat plump helmet spawn raw nor does it imply plump helmet spawn are edible on their own.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2009, 07:43:56 pm »

I've noticed that dwarves will tend to plant one crop until they can't anymore or get distracted. So if you have a 5x5 Quarry Bush farm, your farmer will plant 25 Rock Nuts unless he is distracted by physical needs (food/booze/sleep) or runs out of seeds, then try to move on to the next farm.

I'd strongly suggest turning off all other labors for him though, unless you're so early in the fortress that you need him for menial hauling tasks the more streamlined you can get your crafting the more value you can produce and the faster you can work towards whatever your goal for that particular fortress is.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2009, 08:03:54 pm »

I've never ever ever seen a dwarf eat a raw seed in the entire history of me playing Dwarf Fortress. If you have, I'm willing to take your word for it.

Preferences can apply to things that are edible but not necessarily edible raw. If a dwarf likes plump helmet spawn, they'd enjoy a plump helmet spawn roast, for example, but that does not mean that he will eat plump helmet spawn raw nor does it imply plump helmet spawn are edible on their own.

I just tested this by embarking with only seeds and booze listed under the z-kitchen menu (well, and fish, but I was quick to forbid those when I noticed that), and the dwarves would NOT eat the seeds.  I locked them in so they couldn't go outside to find vermin (despite their great efforts), and they eventually starved to death all at the same time (except for the one who I had forage something earlier before locking the hatches).  I think this conclusively proves that seeds are not edible raw.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 08:12:42 pm »

Looks like we've got another myth busted.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 23, 2009, 02:51:49 am »

Not yet - did any have seeds as a food preference?

Malicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 23, 2009, 04:28:55 am »

No, they didn't, though I don't see WHY not having a preference would prevent a dwarf from eating something to SAVE HIS LIFE.  But I suppose I'll try it again sometime tomorrow...

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 08:36:00 am »

But I suppose I'll try it again sometime tomorrow...

Don't bother.

Sorry to say that, Albedo, but you're grasping at straws. They'll eat everything else without a food preference, so why the fuck wouldn't seeds work the same way?

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 08:57:14 am »

I've noticed that dwarves will tend to plant one crop until they can't anymore or get distracted. So if you have a 5x5 Quarry Bush farm, your farmer will plant 25 Rock Nuts unless he is distracted by physical needs (food/booze/sleep) or runs out of seeds, then try to move on to the next farm.

i've noticed this as well - so between planting longland grass and moving to the other aboveground crop, fisherberries, something happened to block the queue in some way. my far-fetched reasoning was that the 'next-in-line' seed was inaccessible/in a backpack/causing trouble, and rather than skipping that seed or moving to a different farm plot, everything backed up.

but interesting to see about the discussion of eating seeds/queuing of seeds that-have-yet-to-become-seeds - i'm well-aware how far-fetched my reasoning was. thanks for everyone's input!

Pages: 1 [2] 3