Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Determining if a new skulking civ worked  (Read 981 times)

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Determining if a new skulking civ worked
« on: July 20, 2009, 05:56:56 pm »

I'm trying to mod in a new skulking civ to my world and I *think* it worked but I need a way to check it. Other than making a game and hoping they try to steal from me is there any easy way I can check the world to see if they exist?

LordNagash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Determining if a new skulking civ worked
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 06:04:20 pm »

They should entries in the legends mode if they exist, for the civ and for some individual members of the race. Check there first.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:36:41 pm »

Ah I was hoping there was an easier way but I guess it didn't really matter as once I fixed a typo they spread all over the world and had a ton of entries in the civ listing.

But now I have the opposite problem, they're showing up in the site finder civ listing =/. I'll have to figure out which tag controls that.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:22:09 pm »

When you generate the world, look at your errorlog in the dwarf fortress base directory. It will tell you about misspelt tags, etc.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 09:42:46 pm »

Will do!

On a related note is there anyway to shortcut to the creatures invading/appearing. I'm running a fort in the background on auto-pilot but still waiting for any thievery.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2009, 06:31:46 am »

No metagaming way to do so, however the more fortress wealth you have, the more thieves come. Just make more gem-encrusted gold trinkets or something like that.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2009, 08:16:34 am »

In dwarf companion, you can go on 'all creatures' and it'll tell you what creatures are about to ambush you/snatch/steal from you. It says they're all hidden. That's the only way I can think of.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2009, 09:13:36 am »

Well I set the skulking civ to appear on 0 wealth/pop and the other factor in hopes they'd appear right away. Likewise I've had a stonecrafter churning out stone mugs non stop while the game runs in the background.

I don't know which is more disappointing, that the thieves haven't shown up, or that my fortress which is basically running in autopilot with naught but a still, a craft dwarf shop, a small barracks and 4 tables is going along swimmingly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2009, 09:18:35 am »

In dwarf companion, you can go on 'all creatures' and it'll tell you what creatures are about to ambush you/snatch/steal from you. It says they're all hidden. That's the only way I can think of.
It shows only creatures which are ALREADY on your map, just sneak.

I think I misunderstood the "shortcut" word. I thought that you want them to appear faster :D.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2009, 10:01:02 am »

No you have it right, that's exactly what I wanted. I was hoping to have a way to make them appear quickly so I can iterate over their design. I can start up a game, get them to appear then adjust the files and save scumm. That's probably my best solution. The only problem is that changing the character's strength affects their worldgen so it may throw that off, hopefully littersize/maxage/biome presence will balance any of that mess out though.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 10:14:16 am »

Seems silly, but are you sure you embarked where they can get to you easily? I set off my current fortress with humans listed nearby, but it took them a couple years to actually trade with me.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 10:29:46 am »

Yeah they should be around, though maybe not. They were on the civ list for the embark site and the world I genned I gave them a very aggressive expansion (there's 3k of them in the world compared to 1.7k elves and ~900 dwarves). I did have a Kobold thief show up already but none of the new race. I'm also in their most populated Biome type.

I might just need more time. The fort has been going on for 1 year 1 season and I've only seen a single Kobold thief so it's overall been kinda barren of enemies.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 01:34:08 pm »

Well I set the skulking civ to appear on 0 wealth/pop and the other factor in hopes they'd appear right away. Likewise I've had a stonecrafter churning out stone mugs non stop while the game runs in the background.

I don't know which is more disappointing, that the thieves haven't shown up, or that my fortress which is basically running in autopilot with naught but a still, a craft dwarf shop, a small barracks and 4 tables is going along swimmingly.
I highly recommend using 1 wealth/pop, I'm reasonably sure that "0" doesn't work.

Also check out the World Gen Log Parser, should be on the wiki--it's great for seeing if civs have survived and how well they've done so.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 01:45:43 pm »

Yeah I got the parser which is how I figured our 3k of the race survived. I'll have to give gen of 1 a try though and see if that brings them about. Kinda disappointing because I wanted them to show up sooner than kobolds typically do. I feel like kobolds wait long enough to the point where it's almost trivial to have some dogs or cats chained to your entrance.

0 may indicate a 'don't use this as a criteria for arrival' value which would explain why it doesn't appear to work.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2009, 01:53:49 pm »

Yeah that was my experience.
Pages: [1] 2