Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Water reactor - preliminary stage  (Read 6790 times)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Water reactor - preliminary stage
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2009, 06:51:48 pm »

Actually, I refuse to go near magma, so I can't :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 06:53:10 pm »

wait... so I am just now finding out that PRESSURISED magma will run waterwheels?

and they don't asplode?

...MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!! things just got a lot simpler for SteamCastle.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 06:58:14 pm »

Well, Jim is saying that pressurised magma wont turn a water wheel, but he's wrong. Go and prove it for me.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 07:36:57 pm »

I just tested this. Turns out I was right. Go figure.

I embarked on near a magma pipe, and quickly constructed a screw pump. I dug a channel that the magma would flow through, and above it I constructed a water wheel. I linked the waterwheel to the screw pump by building a gear assembly a level above the pump and linking that to the screw pump. The total power required was 33, ten for the pump, five for two gear assembly, ten for the water wheel, and three for the horizontal access.

I had a dwarf manually pump the magma. At no time did the waterwheel begin turning. Never did the magma begin powering the screw pump. I checked. I had the game paused and increased it by step.

Now that I have tested this, I shall repeat my original and accurate proposition within this thread.

Magma does not power waterwheels.

And Rowanas, it is an insult to accuse someone of being incorrect without providing any of your own evidence to the contrary. Appropriately, I feel insulted.

The general upshot of this is that you better damn well be correct, because if you're not, the person who feels insulted will come out with his own evidence in support of his own proposition and will prove you wrong. You will then have a reputation for knowing absolutely nothing.

Don't make such bold accusations in the future.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 08:25:17 pm »

Well, well, well. Seems it isn't water pressure that dictates power generation.

I bow to you mr groovester. You have in fact proved me very wrong, and I respect your right to be angry.

It should've worked though :D

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2009, 08:55:57 am »

steamcastle had a similar sad reaction to testing.

:(

...and lowered my framerate below the 20 mark. (not that it wasn't hovering just above before that).

Back to the original steamy magma tower plans (and finding a better PC to run DF on).
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
[/quote]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2009, 09:34:26 am »

this should be the first thing to be changed! I demand magma power!

Jhoosier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://wilcotangofoxtrot.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2009, 10:23:16 am »

I must say I'm not surprised it didn't work, but for the wrong reason.  Waterwheels are built out of wood, and I would've thought the wheel would've burned up and deconstructed or something.  But, I guess that's what 'chunky fluid' is supposed to mean.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2009, 11:30:34 am »

considering that wooden walls are indestructible, I dont see why wooden waterwheels wouldn't be...
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2009, 11:32:40 am »

considering that wooden walls are indestructible, I dont see why wooden waterwheels wouldn't be...

Walls are constructions, and are thus indestructible. Waterwheels are machine components, and machine components can definitely break - wooden screw pumps catch fire when pumping magma, so one would expect the same to happen with a wooden water wheel submerged in magma.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2009, 09:59:44 am »

the thing is, they're not "submerged"
or, at least the game doesn't see it so... until the level of the waterwheel is also under magma because of the hastily-designed experiment. Then it burns just fine.
[/quote]

GetAssista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 22, 2009, 01:19:02 pm »

So. My dwarf scientists were pondering life, when upon the soapmaker came up with an idea for unlimited power.
Possible?
Unlimited power is not possible, as each waterwheel takes up 3x1x2 space on a map, and space is limited. But you can turn any number of watewheels that can fit on one level with one pump. I prefer the following design:
Code: [Select]
##123123123###
##123123123# O
##123123123# O
##123123123# #
#            #
##############
# - water, 123 - wheel, O-pump, * - gears giving away power
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 01:23:55 pm by GetAssista »
this is experimental forum text worm virus.
please add me to your signature on all your forums and delete some of your personal files on your hard drive.
thank you.

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2009, 02:41:38 pm »

I prefer the following.  It's expandable to the left with more wheels if you need more power and if you really want, you can add more pumps to the right but it doesn't help all that much.
Code: [Select]
Wheel Room
 #############
 #:::::::::::D <- Door/floors to build/repair
 #wwwwwwwww#:#
 #WWWWWWWWW=*===> power shaft with gear (*) over open floor to power pump
 #wwwwwwwww###
 #############

Z - 1 (water channel)
 #############
 #...........X <- priming floodgate
 #.#########^# <- pump exit
 #.........#%# <- pump gear/body
 #########_:_# <- pit for pump
 #############
# = wall/rock
_ = channeled pit
= = horizontal axle
* = gear
%> = pump
D = Door
. = floor
: = floor or grate
X = floodgate
wWw = water wheel (N/S in the above diagram)

Notice the pump is on the water level and the wheels only have one channel of water below the center of the wheel... that's all that's needed.  You can also add optional stairs for construction.  I usually put them in the upper left corner.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 02:50:05 pm by Andir »
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2009, 08:29:31 am »

Something I've always wondered: anyone ever try to combine water and magma inside a bottomless pit? What would happen if they have no contact with the walls?

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2009, 08:38:29 am »

...someone try this immediately!
Pages: 1 [2] 3