Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Water reactor - preliminary stage  (Read 6787 times)

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
Re: Water reactor - preliminary stage
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2009, 08:47:02 am »

Something I've always wondered: anyone ever try to combine water and magma inside a bottomless pit? What would happen if they have no contact with the walls?

The resulting block just falls like a standard cave in. Which, itself, is pretty cool, but also like a standard cave in, it'll pause the game every time to tell you. Once we get the option to turn off that notification, my forts are going to incorporate that aspect in a wonderful defense/beautification device.

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2009, 04:38:29 pm »

I've made a nice design for a cave in generator <url=http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=39005.msg663786#msg663786>here</url>. You might want to replace the walls with bridges though, as the cave ins rely on the fact that bridges won't support obsidian. Also be careful that the obsidian isn't created on the bridge, or else it will deconstruct in the cave in.

DWARVEN SCIENCE!

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2009, 04:58:34 pm »

Why would you need a cave in generator?  Fortress defense?
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

jokermatt999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2009, 06:38:07 pm »

Because it's dwarfy, dammit.

And yes, it was for defense, but mostly to see what would happen if obsidian was generated in mid air. In the process I found that bridges also won't support it (just like a floor tile will collapse if built at the end of the bridge), and so I made a design for it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]