Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Naked fortress  (Read 1547 times)

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Naked fortress
« on: July 20, 2009, 03:17:32 pm »

Probably like the most, I've been seriously annoyed with dwarves, esp. wrestlers leaving around clothing to clutter my forts. And I've come up with a solution...

NAKED DWARVES

I've butchered the entity_default.txt and deleted all clothing that is not a piece of armor. My dwarves and all immigrants start without clothes, and I cannot make any clothes. Clothiers can only make bags, ropes and sew images, while the leatherworkers make bags, quivers, backpacks and waterskins, plus sewing images. Occasional ranger or military dwarf still comes with leather armour, but it is not his property and can easily be substituted by something better and removed.

End results. No clutter, game goes FASTA(at least it seems so, since a 100+ dwarf fort with a dozen animals doesnt suffer any noticable speed loss, and I'm playing on original 40d)

Thus all my dwarves run around without any clothes, only the military wears their shining armour. Until the next release fixes clothes management, this is a neat fix to boost performance and reduce annoyance.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Naked fortress
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 04:42:17 pm »

What do clothes do, anyway? (apart from the goblin stuff being my only source of tradable wealth)
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 04:46:23 pm »

What do clothes do, anyway? (apart from the goblin stuff being my only source of tradable wealth)

Clothes do seem to protect dwarves in freezing biomes (it has to be really really cold, like on a glacier tho). I've noticed that naked dwarves in a glacier fort got brown wounds all over their body and would die if outside too long.
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 07:20:09 pm »

so if I never embark on freezing biomes, I could use this mod quite happily with no unpleasant effects?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:26:33 pm »

Yep, clothes are pretty useless so far in DF
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

xtank5

• Bay Watcher
  • [STEM_CELL_TRANSPLANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2009, 09:31:25 pm »

Sweet.  I've been looking for a way to improve my framerate from its 20s-40s range.  Ever since I hit 100 Dorfs, My framerate SUCKS when I try to work more on my giant curtain wall.
IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM
Can't get enough Bolo.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2009, 11:17:40 pm »

Well, there are some negative thoughts associated with nakedness, but they only trigger when the clothes rot off, so never having them in the first place shouldn't trigger any negative emotions in your average dwarf. Don't some nobles get upset if they don't have the appropriate finery, though? I know the dungeon master wants a cloak, right?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2009, 01:02:51 am »

They used to give unpleasant thoughts. Toady removed that. Currently I cap the immigration and let everyone's clothes rot off. Probably should just remove it from the raws instead. This is a good idea.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009, 03:40:08 pm »

Unpleasant thoughts from nakedness were removed because they would occur every time a dwarf changes clothes, which was a great assistance to tantrum spirals. They're also required to remove everything above an item they're changing, which doesn't help.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2009, 03:42:55 pm »

I have all shoes besides boots, all gloves besides gauntlets, and all hats besides helms removed from my game. That way, creatures are not naked and i still get goblin goods to trade, but im not overwhelemed with 573 cave spider silk socks everywhere

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2009, 04:24:14 pm »

Clothing does provide some degree of combat protection. A fair bit, actually, for early in the game due to the layering, so if you embark someplace fairly hostile, the clothing does make it quite a bit more survivable than not having it. As the game progresses, that protection gets less effective as dwarves get tougher and you can make proper armor.

Another consideration.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2009, 12:30:43 am »

Give them [LAYERING:200] and they shouldn't have trouble in freezing places any more, just imagine they have a thick layer of hair over their whole bodies like a woolly mammoth with a beard.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

bandaidman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2009, 12:10:15 pm »

Can you do this after your game has started?  Or do you need to delete the objects and regen for it to take effect?

Goran

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2009, 01:24:43 pm »

I'm 99% sure you have to regen, its major tampering of the entity raw.