Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Severed Limbs  (Read 1249 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Re: Severed Limbs
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2009, 12:30:03 am »

I had a fisherdwarf recover from catching goblin arrows with his hand, he lost his left thumb, but just kept fishing. As for a full limb, Urist McSpeardwarf had a sparring accident with Urist Axerecruit, his leg got cut off, and he was forced to join the royal guard, spending the rest of his life in bed. I didn't really track what happened to the severed leg, but having a limb taken off will make the dwarf spend his life in bed.

A severed leg while sparring? That's pretty intense. I once had a recruit suffocate, probably from a broken neck. Most of the time I just see breaks or brain or back injuries. Then again, now I never have anyone spar unless they have at least full copper chain and a silver weapon. Maybe I'm too soft on my dwarves. Time for some naked steel axe fights next fortress!

Also, I like the idea of guarding the nobles from the safety of your bed.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2009, 02:06:05 am »

A severed leg while sparring? That's pretty intense.

(Some players don't believe in armor as much as others.)

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 04:53:58 am »

I believe I had at one time have a dwarf recover from having a hand cut off, took him ages, but he managed to do most of his tasks without problems.

Was that in a previous version, like 38c? I can remember anecdotes to that effect as well, but not since 39a and onward. I'm fairly certain the permanent bedrest is a consequence of the recuperation system Toady implemented in the newest versions of DF.

Actually, I just checked the save file, somehow he managed to survive having all his fingers on his right hand cut off(Including thumb), but the hand itself is still attached to him. His left foot is also missing 3 toes.

Besides that, sparring incidents are common with me, a good weapon is higher priority then good armour. I can always get another soapmaker, but I'm just not into micromanaging sparring weapons/real weapons, making sure dwarves get the right armour, etc. I just set half of them to plate armour, the other half to chain, and they can go loot if the goblins kill a dwarf caravan(I would probably give them a bin of stone mugs for that armour anyway).
Eventually I made enough weapons for them all and I start slowly working on the armour, only top quality from the best steel, made by a legendary armoursmith in small locked magma forges. Any armour or weapon less then masterwork quality gets tossed into a pit next to the magma smelters, and I use locked doors to make sure it all gets recycled. Only the best is good enough for my dwarves, if I can't give them the best, they can be naked wrestlers for all I care.

Sometimes I think I carved the barracks out of bauxite or kaolinite.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 08:23:13 am »

I almost shat myself when I saw a little red 2 (the symbol for a limb) on the floor of my barracks. Seems a wrestler tore off a goblin limb, beat the goblin to death with it, kept carrying it (I think this may have been an inventry error) and got it torn out of his hands by another wrestler while sparring.

I'm so gad it's not a dwarf limb...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.
Pages: 1 [2]