Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Severed Limbs  (Read 1252 times)

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Severed Limbs
« on: July 20, 2009, 12:14:19 pm »

I've never really thought about it before, but when a dwarf gets a limb severed but survives, what happens to the bones?

They wouldn't get put in a grave because the dwarf is still alive, so I'm wondering if they would become available for crafts etc.

Wouldn't it be great to see a dwarf walking around wearing some equipment made out of their own bones?

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Severed Limbs
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 01:00:53 pm »

umm. when arms get torn off they appear as <name>'s left arm. Later it decomposes into bones, so you CAN do that. for some reason my dwarves won't pick up dwarven bones even when told to dump it.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 01:03:09 pm »

Generally if a dwarf loses a limb they will be bedridden for the rest of their lives.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 01:04:14 pm »

yeah, but for the ones that don't (think superdwarvenly tough champions) you could build them a helmet out of their own knucklebones :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 01:10:23 pm »

Well, dead dwarves own their bones, so they can't be used for anything.

The question is whether alive dwarves likewise own their severed limbs, preventing use in crafts.

This issue requires further study. If I had to speculate, I'd bet that no, you wouldn't be able to use the bones for anything.

yeah, but for the ones that don't (think superdwarvenly tough champions) you could build them a helmet out of their own knucklebones :D

Hyndis' general comment would still apply. Supertough champion would be resting for the rest of his life, unfortunately.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 02:16:42 pm »

There are going to be prothesises of some sort in the new release that Toady is working on. They are suppoused to be stuff like peg-legs and hooks. However, these are dwarves we are talking about, I'm sure they can make a pretty good working hand or leg.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:27 pm »

Don't think so. I had a glorious guardsdwarf called Cilob Okilzas who lost a lung. he just kept on marching. Even though he had it removed he still ran faster than any other dwarf. He was legendary in shield, armour and wrestling, and when the lung went red he could still move faster and take more of a beating than any other dwarf. Come to think of it, I never saw him sleep, either...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 02:34:15 pm »

Same thing here. I had a brewer who somehow got a red lung, just how, I have no idea, I didn't get any cancel messages, so I think it was a freak accident of some kind. He used to be one of the gatherers, so to protect him, I made him a full time brewer. Despite the lung, he still worked pretty hard. Although once the population got high enough, I assigned some apprentices under him to help take up the slack as he wasn't quite as fast as he used to be.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:35:52 pm »

Whereas I'm pretty sure that Cilob's red lung actually made him even tougher than he was before. What doesn't kill you...

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 03:12:47 pm »

Yeah, but those are mangled lungs, which are well known to be neither fatal nor particularly crippling.

Dismemberments, on the other hand, are crippling. Permanent bed rest for any dwarf unfortunate enough to suffer one.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 06:19:09 pm »

Note that actual limbs such as a full arm or leg are crippling, but losing a finger has no real effect on the dwarf.(At least that I know of)

I had a fisherdwarf recover from catching goblin arrows with his hand, he lost his left thumb, but just kept fishing. As for a full limb, Urist McSpeardwarf had a sparring accident with Urist Axerecruit, his leg got cut off, and he was forced to join the royal guard, spending the rest of his life in bed. I didn't really track what happened to the severed leg, but having a limb taken off will make the dwarf spend his life in bed.

I believe I had at one time have a dwarf recover from having a hand cut off, took him ages, but he managed to do most of his tasks without problems.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 06:22:13 pm »

I believe I had at one time have a dwarf recover from having a hand cut off, took him ages, but he managed to do most of his tasks without problems.

Was that in a previous version, like 38c? I can remember anecdotes to that effect as well, but not since 39a and onward. I'm fairly certain the permanent bedrest is a consequence of the recuperation system Toady implemented in the newest versions of DF.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 06:32:27 pm »

I don't see why. I wonder which arc the change goes in?

cue footkerchief:

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 10:17:46 pm »

So, with the prosthetics...

Does this mean I can give someone a peg-leg made out of their own leg?
Or a stone one?

Hell, I'd love to give a multi-legendary champion an adamantine prosthetic.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 11:47:55 pm »

I have no clue about the materials, I've only heard that there will be prothesetics available for the healthcare portion in the upcoming update.
Pages: [1] 2