Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Magma castle!  (Read 1337 times)

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Magma castle!
« on: July 20, 2009, 03:06:12 am »

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6458-snaketributes

;D

Still working on it. At this point I need mostly to finish up the buildings I've already started. You can see that the second floors are mostly empty and unused. Second floor for the apartment blocks will need to be finished, and it will be occupied as well. A few dwarves are still sleeping in the barracks.

Once thats done, then I'll start paving the roads and other indoor places, such as inside the walls.

Sieges are hilarious brief. Note that magma does not drain off the edge of the map at all. If you want proof, here it is.  ;D

Drawbridges hold back the magma. Yes, you can build a drawbridge to the edge of the map. Retract it and it acts just like a wall.

Thus, the only accessible tiles to the edge of the map are the ones right in front of the gatehouse. This is also within aggro range for every dwarf inside the gatehouse.

You can still see the smear from a kobold who thought he could sneak in. During a fullblown siege, the entire entryway is red, with body parts being lopped off and landing on the battlements above, or even flying over the bridges into the magma.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 03:16:45 am by Hyndis »

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma castle!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 03:30:30 am »

Awesome. Also holy shit that’s a lot of imps! Did you give them breeding tags?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 03:40:49 am »

Yup. I also doubled their size. They're now size 6 and can breed!

Yeah...those magma pumps are automated for a reason.  :o

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 03:48:34 am »

Son of a bitch. Holy shit is that an outrageous amount of bones.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 04:58:07 am »

I've just converted the secondary mineshaft into a pit 'o doom.

There is a refuse stockpile at the bottom, along with stairs to access it. Various critters and/or nobles will be thrown into the pit, at which point they will splatter into a red mist. Then my bonecrafters will pick bones out of that pile at the bottom of the mineshaft to decorate things with bones.

Yes, everything must be decorated with bone!  :D

TauQuebb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 05:03:03 am »

Looks very good, thought about doing this myself.

One question though, how did you build right to the edge of the map?

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 10:05:09 am »

Bridges. Make a drawbridge, retract it, and then demolish the lever.

Magma also does not flow off the edge of the map unlike water, so with magma you can completely deny entrance to tiles on the edge of the map, which limits where goblins and caravans can spawn.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 10:11:33 am »

Any thoughts as to where I should go next? I'll finish up the apartment buildings, make the walls 3 levels high, and also finish up the roof of the keep and the dining hall. I'm not sure what to put in the second floor of the dining hall though. All of the food storage is below ground, and I really don't need more than the two levels I already have.

What should I do with the space in the middle of the map there? I was originally planning on putting the castle there, but then I decided to give the castle a moat and so moved it off to the side.

I've also got the lower right portion of the map still free. Right now I'm just storing ammo there. I'm thinking I could put the luxury apartments here, for the minor nobles. My jewelcrafters and elite metal workers will live there in spacious, customized apartments. Currently they have a plain old room like everyone else.

Alternatively, I could put these minor nobles on the second floor of the keep. This floor is empty at the moment.

When its finished, I'll upload a newer version!

Also, +fav please.  :D
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 10:35:52 am by Hyndis »

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2009, 02:07:52 am »

Bump, with content!

http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-6537-snaketributes

The year is now 332. Construction is going well. The nobles have been pacified with their precious metal encrusted furniture, spacious room, and personal army.

However, due to my recent need for utterly excessive bling, I have stripped down all common bedrooms and given orders for the craftsdwaves to decorate their beds and doors post haste!

The soon they're done decorating, the sooner they'll be able to sleep on a bed rather than on the floor.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009, 01:16:21 pm »

Huh, cool. That's an impressive fort you've got going there. I like seeing how the Gameplay Questions regulars build their forts. Some thoughts:

It's neat that you have cave spider webs originating from the magma pipe. I've never seen that happen before.

Does your entrance actually limit where the goblins and caravans come in from? So if you get an eighty goblin siege, you'll get eighty goblins all concentrated at that point?

Impressive magma moat.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 01:30:07 pm »

The spiders are actually a custom thing. I just expanded the habitats of cave spiders, so they now can live around magma pipes in addition to the usual chasms and rivers.

And yes, everything spawns at that entry way. Including the sieges. All of the goblins.

Curiously, not at the same time however. The goblins send waves, 1-2 squads spawn at a time. The first few waves are glorious battle, but then it devolves into spawncamping at the edge of the map.

On this fortress I have no meeting zone, so dwarves will wander about on their own. I like the way it looks, with dwarves milling about in the parks or in various random rooms. This also means I cannot keep the dwarves behind the gatehouse, so the gatehouse has to be very close to the edge of the map to protect them.

When burrows are in I'll be able to designate the entire castle as civilian safe, but not the gatehouse. And the gatehouse will be where the soldiers spend their time.

The magma really was a workaround for lack of burrows.

Yes, I flooded the entire world with magma. As a workaround.  :D

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2009, 02:46:49 pm »

Yes, I flooded the entire world with magma. As a workaround.  :D

There is no better example of dwarven ingenuity than that.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2009, 09:50:08 pm »

wow.
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads