Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23

Author Topic: EFS PBEM - The Copycat Wars - !!1 VACANCY!! - Li Halan Regency (1. regent)  (Read 39116 times)

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM - The Copycat Wars - Turn 4
« Reply #120 on: August 05, 2009, 01:09:32 pm »

It is saddening when a house claims a world placed right in the way of other houses' expansion. Planet Aylon is rightfully ours by the virtue of proximity to our homeworld, if nothing else. Are we laying claims to exempli gratia Nowhere, or Vera Cruz? Wouldn't such claims seem laughable? And yet House Hazat feels justified in condemnig our Noble Family for taking planets closest to us as our rightful due. Likewise, Saladin of al-Malik screams of insults and treachery, even though we respected every rule of diplomacy and decency in drawing our sphere of influence. How does Saladin's actions look to the Imperial citizens? Is this not a covert invasion of a planet right on our doorstep, without as much as a word of notification? How far would the al-Malik take this if we hadn't discovered their troopships over the planet in question?
Saddening indeed.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 05, 2009, 03:37:37 pm »

Response given to House Decados representative at the Imperial forum, shortly after their speech
It is not the claim of Aylon we are objecting to, your honor, rather your ex cathedro claim on the worlds of Pyre and Rampart. Those worlds are, in our opinion, too distant to legitimately claim without forces present. As for Aylon, it is understandable how house Al-Malik could be upset at your unilateral threat of violence, as that is their only possible venue of neutral access to the Capital.
However, as this matter is well outside our sphere of interest, we do not wish to press this issue further. As much as we would like to forget this incident, the speaker has expressed the opinion you would do well to if you would cease speaking vox populi, if you do not have the support of other houses.
Ambassador Salath,
   House Hazat

In out of character terms, stop pretending that "everyone is morally outraged by your actions" when we're not. It's annoying. Al-Malik has grounds for legitimate complaint.
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 05, 2009, 04:34:01 pm »

what but I am outraged that Decados is claiming Vera Cruz

Readers that take this post seriously will be laughed at.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 05, 2009, 04:55:13 pm »

*From a message delivered to each house on Byzantium II*

House Li Halan recognizes the Decados' claim to Aylon, as it is clearly within their sphere of influence and acts as an important strategic planet for their house's expansion.  However, we also recognize al-Malik's right to have free passage through Aylon and perhaps their right to control a farm on the surface.  Should any conflict arise over Aylon, we are declaring our neutrality now. 

If the Decados' natural right to control Aylon is not recognized, then this will set a dangerous precedent where houses may begin claiming planets such as Absolution or Criticorum.  The High Lord of house Li Halan does not want to go down that road.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 05, 2009, 07:51:57 pm »

Turn done.

It is saddening when a house claims a world placed right in the way of other houses' expansion.
You are the only one laying claims.

Planet Aylon is rightfully ours by the virtue of proximity to our homeworld, if nothing else.
None of the houses have the right to a planed they do not occupy. No laws give us that right. We do have the right to free them from the rebels and establis our government, thus making them ours. The diplomatic tradition considers it an act of aggression to settle a planet adjacent to another houses world without their consent, but that is it. You could present a claim in a diplomatic fashion and Aylon would be accepted as your interest. At that point we could discuss the issue of our city on it.

Are we laying claims to exempli gratia Nowhere, or Vera Cruz? Wouldn't such claims seem laughable? And yet House Hazat feels justified in condemnig our Noble Family for taking planets closest to us as our rightful due.
Pyre an Rampart are rightfully yours? The planets that are same distance from Severus, as they are from Istakhr. So tell us, what gives you superiority over us? There was no diplomacy in that, it was not laying a claim but taking those worlds, those three worlds for granted. Not Aylon alone, but all three worlds.

Likewise, Saladin of al-Malik screams of insults and treachery, even though we respected every rule of diplomacy and decency in drawing our sphere of influence. How does Saladin's actions look to the Imperial citizens?
All you did was threaten with war and eradication while taking distant worlds as yours. There was no diplomacy in your words. Do I need to repeat them for clarity? it was a threat of war and eradication and nothing else. You are just trying to bully your views of the universe uppon us. We, will not bend to you.

Drawing spheres of influence? But you, you have no influence over those worlds. There is no imperial charter dividing the universe and there is no imperial charter giving houses influence over the worlds they do not occupy. We can do it through diplomacy, but that would require two way communication and not one way statements.

Is this not a covert invasion of a planet right on our doorstep, without as much as a word of notification? How far would the al-Malik take this if we hadn't discovered their troopships over the planet in question?
On doorsteps of Byzantium. Only the emperor can call Byzantium his doorstep. Are you claiming to be the emperor?

We invaded it to fight the rebels and build the farming city for our people on Byzantium. The planet was not populated by you and was not adjacent to any of your worlds. You haven't even made a claim to it, at the time we took a farming city from the rebels. Your words did force us to consider expansion on Aylon, as you seem bend on destroying our posessions there.

Now that we have ansvered to your slander. We do wish to talk diplomacy. Do you?
We have never said we would deny Decados the planet Aylon. All we were denying, was for Decados to kill our people and to treat our posessions on Aylon as belonging to Decados. We did take possession of the second farm, we do not deny it and never tried to. Do you blame us, with the threats you made? Hopefuly in the future, you will be more reasonable and we might even come to an agreement of transfering the possesion of the said farms over to the Decados. We would be still willing to do it, as we find another way to feed our people on Byzantium.

We will not expand any further uppon Aylon.

Our issues were with how the so called claims were made and the claims over Pyre and Rampart. As mentioned before, these two planets are same travel distance from Severus and Istakhr. They are also the same travel distance as Artemis is from Kish and Istakhr. A lot of universe can be claimed by any of the houses, if we follow the same rules of claim you made up for Pyre and Rampart.

Saladin, looking after his people.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:04:57 pm by Mlittle »
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 05, 2009, 09:31:48 pm »

Lord Saladin, with all due respect, what gives any house a claim over any of these new worlds we now invade?  Are these so-called rebels revolting against their own populace?  These planets are full of self-governing factions, however, we all agree their cultures are backwards and inferior to that of the great houses.  Thus rightfully do we claim these planets as our own.  But to claim a world by word is perhaps no different than claiming a world by force.  Or are we to treat our politics as that of a mad rush by land squatters?  Have we truly fallen to outright barbarism?  The suns may now be fading, but the spirit and heart of man must shine brightly, forever.

I do not presume to interfere in your disputes over Rampart and Pyre, but who among our houses would dare doubt the verbal claim of a great noble lord in favor of a tank's treads?  I would hope you consider this back at Istakhr, where you lay claim over your people's lands as your own, even in sectors that have no military presence.  We are wary that the al-Malik may follow  a path that sheds the nobility of our importance, much like the League has done.  Perhaps your proximity to Leagueheim and their unholy wiles is clouding your mind on this matter.  I will pray at my personal temple this very night to protect you from their influence.

(Turn sent)

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 05, 2009, 10:21:44 pm »

So then...
Kebooo succeeds Aqizarr (I'm calling this now)
Il Palazzo succeeds mainiac
Mlittle succeeds Il Palazzo
It's left to me and nahkh to fight for succeeding Mlittle I guess. Because I don't think either of us want to be known as the computer's successor :D

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2009, 01:33:14 am »

Oh I don't know, the computer fool has so far managed to avoid destruction :D

So Li Halan is backing Decados? Surprising.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2009, 03:08:30 am »

Turn sent, an hour ago actually.

At the Imperial Forum, in response to Li Halan speech (but directed to all)
It is my sincere hope that House Li Halan did not intend to imply that House Al-Malik and us, by extension, are such barbarians that we value force of arms over the rule of law? Such would be a grave insult indeed. Of course we accept per verba declarations over per arma, but to make such claims with no means of enforcing them is an outrage, an abuse of imperial conventions and the good graces of other Houses. To lay unilateral claim on worlds that may be equally legitimately claimed by other Houses is objectionable to say the least.
It is becoming abundantly clear that reconciling Decados claims on the three worlds in the eastern reaches is not something the imperium can or should accept without consideration. It is a heavy weight upon the senate, and is causing considerable strife. I beg of you, Ibn Palazzo, recant your ultra vires claims of the three worlds. Reconsider this position. Ex gratia, or pro bono publicum if at all possible. Before some poor fool escalates the issue.

In good faith, 
  by words of Speaker Zdanya,
   House Hazat.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 03:16:30 am by nahkh »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Emperor of the Fading Suns PBEM - The Copycat Wars - Turn 6
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2009, 07:35:32 am »

The galactic nobles' wisdom is indeed great. We have listened and we have considered the issue. Thus, hereby we're declaring a removal of our hard claims to the worlds of Pyre & Rampart. We shall not, however, allow any other houe to land such a claim themselves.
The world of Aylon we shall keep for ourselves. House al-Malik have been offered a farm on the surface long ago, as we do recognize the necessity of feeding their populace at the capitol.

We do insist that any house who claims to be of noble descent would present the senate with a formal claim to a planet before invading it. We are civilized, after all.

Ibn P., the Sensible.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2009, 07:45:40 am »

Speech given at the senate

It is with great joy that we receive House Decados' decision. Restoration of stability and the relieving of diplomatic tensions are welcome news indeed. It is good to sometimes remind ourselves of civilized sensibilities, and we happily concede your request. In compliance with your apt remark we lay claim to Sutek, as we have have already established a minor presence there, and Gwyneth, to which our troops are underway. Hopefully openness will help maintain our stable relations with all Royal Houses.
 Ambassador Salath,
   House Hazat

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2009, 08:09:34 am »

(oh, and turn done)

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 06, 2009, 08:10:47 am »

Completely ooc here, but what time zones are you on? Just wondering about time differences in relation to turns.
I'm on GMT +2 myself.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 06, 2009, 08:12:40 am »

GMT +1

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:13 am »

Lady Zdanya, house Li Halan cannot ever claim to 'back' another house, for to do so would be equivalent to swearing fealty to another noble, and with that would come great shame to any royal, independent family.  By what reasoning implies our words extend to your family?  Are we to believe you are some fief of the al-Malik now?  We know Saladin's leadership is great, but this would be shocking news indeed. 

Our people fully support the al-Malik's right to free passage and a farm on Aylon, and would argue vehemently in the courts of Byzantium II to help secure these privileges for them.  However, we hope all can see the instability that would have occurred should Aylon have been in their full control.  We have not recognized Pyre or Rampart as any houses' worlds yet because they do not fall under any lord's sphere of influence and their status has not been diplomatically resolved.  We know that the al-Malik are a pious and good people, but I do not sleep well at night thinking about the League's influence on their culture.  I would hope we all retain our respect of a noble's word over an imposing military presence much akin to that of Leagueheim's mercenaries.  Being so far from Holy Terra, we wonder how it may taint the mind, especially with news of this new 'symbiot' enemy.

-High Lord Gabrielle of house Li Halan

(I'm on GMT -5, from Maine, US)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 23