Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23

Author Topic: EFS PBEM - The Copycat Wars - !!1 VACANCY!! - Li Halan Regency (1. regent)  (Read 39080 times)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Traits following house rules: http://website.lineone.net/~rwein/nova/traits.htm )
Rule of Law (+12)
Warrior Ethic (+3)
Internal Security Apparatus (+0)
Spendthrift (-4)
Anti-trade (-1)
Decadence (-1)
Disdains trade (-4)
Despotism (-4)
Enemy in the church (-1)
Enemy in the league (-0)

Total: 0

From the Kish Times

The standing High Lord of Kish delivered his annual discourse from the Palace of Morality in central square this morning.  Here is an excerpt from his lecture: "And what have we done to combat the decadence now running rampant in our laboratories?  Throughout our recent history, since our deliverance, the orthodox church so often has advised us on the nature of the soul and what leads to its corruption.  Certainly, the despotism of some local officials must be dealt with, and swiftly, but its effect on our civilization pales in comparison to the degradation of a man's spirit.  Some have accused me of being a spendthrift, and I cannot deny this charge.  The lords of our known worlds are here to give back to the people, not to plunder their coffers.  Some critics have accused my administration of being anti-trade and that I personally disdain trade, but on the contrary, I fully support trade.  It is only the League, with their unholy machinations and mockery of the human form that I refuse to have direct talks with.  Perhaps I am an enemy of the league for my refusal for diplomatic relations, so be it.  But I fully deny the notion that I am an enemy of the church for pushing my alternative scriptures.  The current orthodox patriarch has not followed the methods of his predecessor, and I can only hope for a swift removal of this so-called leader of men.  My duty to the common man can be seen in every quarter of Kish; a state of the art internal security apparatus has kept the general populace safe from brigands and looters.  I have enforced the rule of law, so that every man, woman and child knows what is expected of them, receiving fair treatment in the justice system, regardless of caste.  And I have increased our long tradition of a strong warrior ethic ten-fold, for it has been a long time coming for the rebellious factions surrounding Kish be brought into the fold.  Our previous High Lord was content to spends his days meditating in the cathedral of Kish, never leaving the atmosphere of our world.  But I now represent us on Byzantium Secondus, ready to vote for the ablest of leaders, whether it be myself or another..." ...

If you would like to read the rest, please subscribe to the Kish Times.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Here's the Hazat turn
You mean Li Halan turn? Or am I missing something?

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Here's the Hazat turn
You mean Li Halan turn? Or am I missing something?
He means he already played his (Li-Halan) turn and it is Hazat's turn to start and play.

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I haven't yet played yet but I don't see why that would stop me from posting my traits :)

Noblesse Oblige (+12)
Enlightened Nobility (+1)
Insanity (-4)
Spendthrift (-4)
Enemy in Church (-1)
Tyranny (-4)

The citizens of Delphi have been talking much of the head of the Hawkwood house as of late... Just last year he suffered a severe stroke yet seemed to recover fully within a few days. But those near to the noble worried about small changes they started to see in his actions... While he continued to carry out his responsibilities to the common people, never failing the principal of Noblesse Oblige, his treatment of the military began to grow Tyrannical, and the troops began to complain about his strict treatment of them. Furthermore, his curiosity has seem to grown, purchasing all sorts of strange doodads from the Agora. While these Spendthrifty habits have begun to cut into the treasury, the spread of all these various gadgets has caught the attention of others in the courts, and has spurred on the Enlightened Nobility to seek out more wonders and even create their own. But this child-like curiosity has caused him to ignore others' warnings and advice, even that of the sacred doctrines, and ill words have been said of his recent actions by an Enemy in the Church. Some have gone as far as to warn that the poor lord has begun to go down the dark path of Insanity, with his utter disregard of common sense...

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just a question about your traits, you know tyranny is -10% unit loyalty, and noblesse oblige is +10% unit loyalty/+10% city loyalty, right?  But the city loyalty you can boost up to 100% through reduction of taxes, so basically taking both those traits is handicapping yourself.

Kejardon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

In other words, I'm spending +8 in traits to get +10% city loyalty. That sounds like a fair trade to me.
Honestly, I'm a bit more worried about taking Spendthrift... as Li-Halan at least I heavily relied on the Agora as a source of income (selling excess trace and energy). I've never played Hawkwood but I'm hoping I'll figure out a play style where I won't need to trade as much... though I obviously still plan to trade some as I'm not willing to disdain trade entirely :)

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the way I see it is that you're basically sacrificing resources (insanity), money from league trading (spendthrift) to get more firebirds from taxes (since +10% city loyalty by itself will only allow you to tax some more).  I know that's up to you, but I just figured I should make sure you fully know the tradeoff, especially since the net result just seems to be 5% decrease in resources, and those 5% resources probably could've been sold to the league for more than the tax increase you'd get from +10% loyalty. 

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

You can get up to 100% production by lowering taxes and without any traits. But it is up to you, how you play and what traits you take. Might hurt you or help you a little, but it won't be a game breaker. Haven't done much with traits so I can't say much. On the other hand, there is nothing wrong with variation.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 03:39:40 am by Mlittle »
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile

Wasn't changing the taxation against Nova rules? Or was it just unit pay?
Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do.
I'm half crazy all for the love of you.
It won't be a stylish marriage,
I can't afford a carriage
But you will look sweet upon the seat
of a bicycle built for two.

Mlittle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Just unit pay.
With the final words said, the little bearded loony goes back into his cave.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile

Nevermind then.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile

Mkay, got home.
I'll go over the Nova rules once again (just in case) and do my turn.
Shouldn't take too long.

Mkay, in summary don't abuse the AI and the bugs. Booting up.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:51:45 am by nahkh »

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile

Who knows why my tracker units look like direwolves from vanilla? I've reinstalled all this crap on a new pc just recently and am wondering if I did something wrong? They've got all the right stats, just the icon is messed up.

nahkh

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentleman adventurer
    • View Profile

Done. Il Palazzo: No idea. I just installed it, but I didn't spot any problems like that.

Noble Scholars (+4)
Administration (+1)
Enlightened Nobility (+1)

Tyranny (-4)
Inept Military Training (-2)
Enemy in the League (-0)

House Hazat. The blood-spattered, the warmongers. The House long been known for it's militaristic ways, the ways of the army intertwined with it's nobility. Constant conflict, decade after decade, has worn the great House to a mere shadow of it's former strength, and the people a were tired. Angry at their leaders, the people rose in support of Lady Zdanya, a mere noble scholar, who dared to speak against the old barons. The remnants of the military were powerless to stop the rebellion, and the old leaders were seized and beheaded. Lady Zdanya was forced to use ruthless, even tyrannical methods in silencing opposition and restoring order. Together with those of the nobility who were sufficiently enlightened she built a new administration to support her reach for peace and prosperity. However, the uprising had left the military devoid of good leadership and skilled instructors, resulting in somewhat inept military training. And old enemies have not forgotten.

A letter to the representatives of al-Malik and Decados

Honorable brethren,
I wish to cordially invite you to a conference to negotiate our respective territorial boundaries. As you know, border disputes have been a frequent source of conflict in the past, and stability here in the Western Quarter is in all our best interests. So please, respond on your earliest convenience.

-Speaker Zdanya,
   House Hazat
« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 11:12:42 am by nahkh »

Kebooo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Palazzo, it sounds like the files between Nova and Vanilla are somehow co-existing.  In Nova, the direwolf image was replaced by the tracker image, but if the stats are right, that means your unit.dat file is right.  Try copying the folder and extracting nova to it again and making sure everything overwrites, or doing it manually.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 23