Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Urist McArmorer has claimed a Mason's Workshop ... huh?  (Read 2525 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Urist McArmorer has claimed a Mason's Workshop ... huh?
« on: July 19, 2009, 09:24:12 pm »

So finally, my Armorer gets into a strange mood. The first time this has ever happened to me. Then I see she has claimed a Mason's Workshop. What? How? Why?

I check her stats and she's a Dabbling mason. Then I remember: The first days of my fort, beset on all sides by giant bats and swallows, I recruited all of my founding seven as masons to build the first fortifications quickly. So having multiple moodable skills, I get *another* Gabbro statue instead of an adamantine shield.

Don't ever do this.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Urist McArmorer has claimed a Mason's Workshop ... huh?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 09:32:49 pm »

According to conventional wisdom, that shouldn't be possible. Unless, of course, your so-called "armorer" was only dabbling in that skill as well.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 11:38:27 pm »

Dwarves will get moods in their highest moodable skill. I've never seen an exception to this rule. Your "armorer" was more a mason than an armorer, it seems.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 12:16:23 am »

So, is the pick of mood's completion based on the level of skill or the EXP?

At the moment only explanation I can think of for an Armorer picking up his things and moving on to Masonry being that he had equal skill in both Armormaking and Masonry, and the game flipped a coin.

Although if she was a dabbling Mason, then this can't be it.

It is a mystery.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 12:21:10 am »

Skill level is just a textual representation of experience; experience is used for determining which skill gets mooded. At least, that's my understanding.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 11:30:27 am »

She was just dabbling in Masonry, but she was an adept Armorer. I am positive of this.

Come to think of it, she might have had mining as well. I don't know if it was higher or lower than armoring, but if it had picked mining she would have claimed a craftdwarfs workshop, right?

Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 11:35:53 am »

Actually, no, a miner picks the masons shop because it's the closest relevant workshop skill since they both work with rock, miners dig it out, masons make useful stuff out of it.

What was the artifact that she made?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 12:03:37 pm »

He said a gabbro statue, which is consistent with a miner mood. Moody miners make masonry and get skill in mining.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 12:05:11 pm »

mwehe I had a legendary engraver go fey. he got more engraving skill. he must be +5 by now, but it's a shame he didn't get the xp in something useful.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 01:20:01 pm »

mwehe I had a legendary engraver go fey. he got more engraving skill. he must be +5 by now, but it's a shame he didn't get the xp in something useful.
Engraving IS useful.It lets make your dwarves happy in a very quick,cheap yet effective way.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 02:20:27 pm »

Engraving IS useful.It lets make your dwarves happy in a very quick,cheap yet effective way.

That doesn't change a thing about getting engrave mooded being pretty fucking disappointing, since they level up quickly enough without a mood. C.f. mining: one of the most essential skills, but you don't want to have it mooded, since your guys are gonna be legendary+5 in no time anyway.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2009, 02:22:05 pm by assimilateur »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 02:28:57 pm »

Plus mining is the only moodable skill that is not directly involved with the workshops.

Also, I've had legendary miners get a mood, but they end up bieng possessions since they are already legendary. So even if your miner is already legendary, that doesn't mean they won't get a mood. The chances for the miners is already on the low side since they are only a small part of the popularion. I usually get an artifact bed out of these, so it's not too bad.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 02:30:45 pm »

They are a minority, plus the weighting is low for miners, and yet you know full-well that one of your legendary+5 miners is going to mood sometime. At least there's no xp cap, so he can keep getting stat ups, even if he can't get any better at mining.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 03:11:21 pm »

Also, I've had legendary miners get a mood, but they end up bieng possessions since they are already legendary.
The dwarf's current level of experience has no impact on what type of mood it is.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:46:19 pm »

Also, I've had legendary miners get a mood, but they end up bieng possessions since they are already legendary.
The dwarf's current level of experience has no impact on what type of mood it is.

Indeed. i had a legendary engraver get even more legendary engraver skill thanks to mood.
Pages: [1] 2