Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Give me back that rope!  (Read 1024 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Give me back that rope!
« on: July 19, 2009, 08:43:57 pm »

I tethered a Giant desert scorpion in front of my fort to keep a lookout for thieves, but wasn't happy with its position. So I deconstruct the rope, assuming that it would just appear on the ground like it normally does, but it appears in the scorpion's inventory instead. Is there any way to get that rope back? I've already tried forbidding and dumping it.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
Re: Give me back that rope!
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009, 08:50:42 pm »

Maybe you could try forbidding all your other ropes and chains, then reconstructing the restraint...

But to prevent this kind of thing from happening in the future, untie the guard animal BEFORE deconstructing the restraint.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2009, 08:51:29 pm »

I tethered a Giant desert scorpion in front of my fort to keep a lookout for thieves, but wasn't happy with its position. So I deconstruct the rope, assuming that it would just appear on the ground like it normally does, but it appears in the scorpion's inventory instead. Is there any way to get that rope back? I've already tried forbidding and dumping it.
You tried forbidding and dumping at the same time? Try setting up a refuse pile, making sure the rope is unforbidden, and then dumping it.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009, 08:54:10 pm »

No, not at the same time, I tried forbidding it. I then dried dumping it after forbidding didn't work.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 09:37:48 pm »

Let the wookie win, er, let the giant scorpion have the rope...

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 10:34:58 pm »

But sir, noone worries about upsetting a dwarf
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009, 01:37:10 pm »

But sir, noone worries about upsetting a dwarf

They will after you drown the giant scorpion in a huge sacrificial water temple.

...Then you get the rope back.

Lummox JR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • BYOND
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 01:42:12 pm »

At this point I'm not sure what you can do, but per the wiki the way to remove an animal from a chain is to un-assign them before deconstructing the chain.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 02:35:41 pm »

Wiki: "rope"  (or "restraint", same page)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 02:37:31 pm »

yep, essentially, read all that has gone before, and you will find the knowledge you require to not have quite so much fun. :D
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2009, 02:06:21 am »

I find it incredibly cool that a chain stays on the body of a chained creature when the chain is destroyed before the creature is free.

Extra heavy material + chained dwarf/animal = encumbered dwarf/animal prisoner.

I just find that thought really cool.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2009, 02:08:56 am »

You could try putting the animal in a cage and then dumping the rope.  That's how I strip my goblins before putting them in the area, and I would think that the inventory system would work the same way for pets.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2009, 08:18:16 am »

I didn't have any axes before a goblin ambush came, so i set my guards to use axes, stripped the prisoners and then butchered them with their own gear.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2009, 09:14:23 am »

I didn't have any axes before a goblin ambush came, so i set my guards to use axes, stripped the prisoners and then butchered them with their own gear.
I just wish I knew when everything had been stripped.  There's no real way of telling whether there's anything still on the POW except be comparing the full Z-Stocks list for dumped items before and after aplying the dump on the cages.  Which is no problem when you've got a whole lot of other dumped stocks, so you can't just look at the unexpanded lists for Ds or lack, thereof.  As it is, I leave my POWs at the entrance to the Maze of DOOOOM!!!!! for far longer than I need to, I'm sure, until I'm fairly sure they're nekkid.

(Or is there a way of examinging a caged individual's inventory, that I don't know about?)