Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Books that made you think of DF...  (Read 4881 times)

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
Re: Books that made you think of DF...
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2012, 12:23:28 am »

the one fafhrd and grey mouser story where they are working for the princes of quarmal kind of reminds me of DF.

also a book called... I think it was called king flint? it was a D&D novella about a dwarf who returned to his home after a long trip to find that some kind of conspiracy was going on and got thrown into a sort of sewer system. he is rescued by some filthy "gully" dwarves that live down there and is forced to be their king.
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2012, 12:39:54 am »

I havent read the first 4 pages of this topic yet so forgive me if i'm bringing up something alredy mentioned,. But has anyone read those xanth novels? Just about every story is has some pretty odd DF eske wtf-did-i-duplicate-the-raws? kinda stuff in it. But the one i'm thinking of mostly it's actually the other way around, i just started playing DF and built my first goblin grinder (in 40d with ballasta's, stonefall traps, and dogs) and was reminded of that chapter in castle roogna where the goblins just send ways after wave at the castle to die uselessly against it's walls untill eventually all the corpses make a grim meat ramp which let them at the defenders. Ok so goblins can't do anything like that, but It's the kinda thing i'm waiting for, corpses as fluid a pile of 7 corpses taking up a whole z level, the top corpse pathing to the next time if it's less than 6 high...
Yeah i want to make goblin corpse based fluid logic (of corse they will decay, but maybe in the future i could seal them against outside air and refrigerate them to keep their bodies fresh...
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

htabdoolb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 15, 2012, 10:20:01 pm »

This is from a webcomic, not a book, but I think it's dwarfy enough that it applies.

A dwarf and his traveling companions are accosted by an alternate universe version of their party(slightly different seed values?) in a vast and incomprehensibly complex dungeon, which is full to the brim with death traps and deadly magic. While the group's human warrior battles an enslaved demon, the dwarf plays for time against the alternate group's human warrior by summoning a badger right into his face. Naturally the dwarf needs the time to equip his weapon, as he didn't feel like carrying his heavy mace at the ready in the middle of an insanely dangerous dungeon run when it would obviously be needed(sound familiar?).

http://www.goblinscomic.com/03132012/

Seriously, this whole comic is hilarious.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]