Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taking care of the fish, the dwarven way.  (Read 1745 times)

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Taking care of the fish, the dwarven way.
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:41:11 pm »

I've had several fish kill my dwarves.  My friend gave the idea that i need to kill them with crossbows, but i want to do it the dwarven way. 

Now, this river is a 5 tile wide river, and there's not really any hippos anymore. I've caught most of them and tamed them.

(Please note that i'm using dig deeper mod)

1) Now, my plan is to dig underneath the river, all the way to the edge.  Once the edge is exposed, i carve fortifications into the walls, which will allow the water to drain off of the map. 

2) Build a bridge over the top of the river, a full z level above it.

3) remove the supports to the bridge falls into the water, hopefully breaking through the bottom layer of the river, and into the cavern below, draining off the map. 

Will this work, and how many tiles does the lwoer layer have to have so all the water drains off the map?  and since i'll have water draining from the river itself, how many drainage tiles should i have?

and if this doenst' work, is there anyway i can block off the river? maybe dropping floodgates?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Taking care of the fish, the dwarven way.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 06:55:12 pm »

I think this may work, but I suggest that you just build a floortile or some wall to drop into the river(By cave-in if I understand what you're planning)
It's just faster to build, and will hit through the river floor no problem(Provided it is only a floor, and nothing you can dig with d-d)

Whether it can drain the river, I'm not sure on how rivers work exactly, but you may be interested in this wiki article, it might help with some parts.
http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Dam
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 07:35:02 pm »

oh, and how do i restore the river to its natural state? ther'es a big hole in the bottom, i hardly think i could pave it over with the water flowing over it.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 07:49:36 pm »

Place lever-linked floodgates beforehand to block off the underground river when you want to the surface one to work again
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 07:56:25 pm »

right underneath where i'm going to smash through? ah, i gotcha.

lower them when i burst, raise them when i want to continue?"

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 02:29:12 am »

okay, i collapes it. but when the rocks fell, they sorta broke the flood gates.  I found them scattered randomly. and i made sure they were down when i dropped it.  oh well. any ideas on how to fix it now? or am i doomed to just make a floor over the hole,  and hope my dwarves dont' down?

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 04:45:49 am »

You need to puncture the river bed farther into the map. Have the floodgates right at the edge.

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 06:31:49 pm »

To fix it, either try to route magma into your underground part of the river, which will hopefully form obsidian and block it off.

Or cause a cave-in over it, dropping in at least 1 line of natural ground into the underground part of the river to block it.(Not mined out, the floor alone isn't good enough)

After this, you can instal the floodgates behind the now blocked section of the river, link them to levers(Or a single one), and then mine out/channel away the blocks that are blocking the river. It should hopefully work as you want it after that.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 08:15:08 pm »

right underneath where i'm going to smash through? ah, i gotcha.

This is where it sounds like you went wrong - the rock smashed through the roof, into the floodgates and broke them. 

You'll need to repeat a bit further upstream with a new tunnel and this time put the floodgates a few tiles downstream of where the cave-in is  due to make sure they don;t get smashed - 5 or so is probably enough.

Once that is done and the river is flowing through you can do whatever it was you wanted to do originally but also fix the broken tunnel/floodgates/roof, so when you close your new set of floodgates the river will work like it used to, and everyone can pretend it never happened.  ;D

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 04:12:55 am »

let me rephrase that.  my problem is that now there's a big hole in the river bed. the flood gates that were supposed to rise to close the hole are now broken. the water is now draining off the map.  now, how do i fix that? ESPECIALLY considering that my fort is right between the break, adn the magma pipe. I just want the river to flow again!

Kazindir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 06:19:05 am »

The broad solution is above - it doesn't matter where the new tunnel is as long as it's upstream - can you do it on the other side of your fortress?

Once you've got the new tunnel going, the old will drain (no supply) and you can pave over your hole. Then just close the floodgates to redirect the river down the original riverbed.

If there is no way to do it without flooding part of your fortress, well, flood part of your fortress then. It's not a proper dwarven experiment in hydrological aquadynamics if it doesn't involve turning a row of bedrooms into a new canal anyway, whether on purpose or by accident. :)

(Just remember to check for hidden doors and secret stairs before you unleash the river down your new tunnel - replace everything with walls/floors!)

To repeat for clarity - your floodgates must not be under where you are going to poke a hole in the riverbed. Dropping several tiles of solid rock onto a set of floodgates via the medium of cave in is not terribly good for the structural integrity of those gates - they'll come unhinged and drift off down the river, as you found with the first tunnel. Put them out of the way of the cave in.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 01:48:24 pm »

That's the issue.  there IS no way to go above the river. its 4 spaces (or so) beyond the edge of the map.  i simply can't build another hole. am i just pretty much screwed?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 02:01:39 pm »

Taking care of the fish, the dwarven way.

But.... but.... dynomite hasn't been implimented yet, has it?

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 05:50:59 pm »

You can still, as I mentioned, find a way to get the magma to the river, then dump some magma into it. It will then form obsidian which will block off the water(Should you use it in your drain, which will make the hole fill up and eventually have the water continue through the normal river), or make a dam to re-route the water(If poured into the river itself, make sure the water has somewhere to go).

It's easier then it sounds, any floor/wall holds back magma, even wooden ones, so you can just make an aquaduct(Magmaduct?) to the river, around your fort.(Or through it, if you feel like it)

After that, you can place floodgates behind the obsidian, and channel away the obsidian to have a working line of floodgates as what I think you originally hoped to achieve.

This is dwarf fortress, there is no way to permanently screw up a map, everything can be fixed when given enough time/willpower/dwarves.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 06:19:50 pm »

I did not know about the Fortification trick at the edge of the map. THat is an awesome trick, I will now reroute rivers at my whim. muahahaha!

This is dwarf fortress, there is no way to permanently screw up a map, everything can be fixed when given enough time/willpower/dwarves.

I would argue that to say "nothing" is a bit of hyperbole. Flood the map by magma blocking the river entrance? not fixable after it's taken hold. (what happens to new migrants to a flooded map, I wonder? I'm sure there are other "too late, too late" moments.

Also, without magma/water some things in DF cannot be fixed.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]
Pages: [1] 2