Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Economy/Init Questions  (Read 397 times)

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Economy/Init Questions
« on: July 18, 2009, 02:40:21 pm »

Hey all.

So I like having a slick sleeping area of engraved bedrooms with nice furniture for all. I spent a lot of time assigning rooms on my current fort only to have half of my dorfs get evicted the moment the economy kicked in. I edited the init.txt to have [RENT_ZERO]:YES, which did set all rent to zero, but there are still a lot of evictions underway. From what I can tell, none of the evicted dwarves are actually trying to rent any of the dozens of open rooms (even though the rent is zero). So my questions are:

1. Will turning off economy actually work properly once the baron/tax collector turns up? Will rent zero?

2. Will my dorfs eventually rent again with rent zero on? Even the peasants who do no labors besides hauling have a few hundred in their accounts, but they're still crashing in the barracks.

3. Why is the economy so confounding and poorly documented?   ;D

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Economy/Init Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 03:47:11 pm »

I second all of those questions  :D

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 04:45:57 pm »

Did you set [ZERO_RENT:YES] after the economy kicked in? I think any evictions that are underway when you turn rent off will still be carried through. It should hopefully not affect dwarves being able to rent the rooms in the future.

1. Will turning off economy actually work properly once the baron/tax collector turns up? Will rent zero?

2. Will my dorfs eventually rent again with rent zero on? Even the peasants who do no labors besides hauling have a few hundred in their accounts, but they're still crashing in the barracks.

3. Why is the economy so confounding and poorly documented?   ;D

1. There's a difference between turning the economy off and setting rent to zero. Turning the economy off before the baron arrives keeps your fort in the frontier economy state, where nobody has to pay for anything. Turning it off after the baron arrives has no effect, I believe. The effects of zero rent should be fairly obvious, but they only apply when the economy is activated.

2. They should, eventually. What sort of time frame are you talking about? They don't immediately rent a room once they're evicted.

3. This is a metaphysical question not suited to the Gameplay Questions forum.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 04:50:46 pm »

3. This is a metaphysical question not suited to the Gameplay Questions forum.

I think you meant philosophical, political and/or sociological. Economy doesn't quite seem to be in the realm of otherworldly bullshit otherwise known as metaphysics.

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:02:11 pm »

That answers that pretty well, thanks Groovester. I will wait around to see if the dorfs start looking for a place to sleep.