Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Trapping questions  (Read 430 times)

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Trapping questions
« on: July 18, 2009, 12:21:24 pm »

1.  Is there a way to forbid the use of certain meats so they don't use something like my traded for polar bear meat and just use my farm animal meat?

2.  Is there a way to only get them to use 1 meat from a stack so I don't get the "your cow meat x10 was stolen!" messages?

3.  Will cave spiders come back?  They were on about every level of my bottomless pit, but after I caught 3 there weren't more.  But there is an endless supply of purring maggots at the pit.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Trapping questions
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 01:34:13 pm »

You can eventually exhaust the supply of vermin, so if you don't see any more cave spiders, they may be gone.

You can't use less than a full stack of the meat.

You can forbid items literally so that they won't be touched for any purpose, either by finding them in your food stockpiles, or by looking for them on the z->stocks screen.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 03:52:40 pm »

There are approximately 1 billion purring maggots at the chasm then  ::)

Yeah, I forbid the meat from getting cooked at all (the chefs like to use it first.  NO!  Bad chef, we need that for the trappers!)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 04:49:25 pm »

1. I don't think so.

2. I don't think so.

3. Do you have a ton of cats? They might be affecting your cave spider population. In any case, they should come back at the season change if the population isn't totally depleted.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 05:46:35 pm »

I do have some cats, but not a catsplosion.

Wraithsight

• Bay Watcher
  • [Magma-powered]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 01:55:15 am »

1.  Is there a way to forbid the use of certain meats so they don't use something like my traded for polar bear meat and just use my farm animal meat?

You mean for cooking? If so yes z>kitchen find the type of meat and hit "c" so its no longer flagged for cooking. If you don't want that type of meat to be used at all like Derakon said go to z>stocks find it under the meat category and hit "f" to forbid it completely. Be warned though as dwarfs will no longer touch this meat for any reason, not even to haul it to a stockpile.

2.  Is there a way to only get them to use 1 meat from a stack so I don't get the "your cow meat x10 was stolen!" messages?

Well dwarfs will only grab one meat from a stack if they are moving straight to a dining room to eat it. I'm not actually sure what you are asking. Do you mean military dwarfs filling their backpacks? If so, no.

3.  Will cave spiders come back?  They were on about every level of my bottomless pit, but after I caught 3 there weren't more.  But there is an endless supply of purring maggots at the pit.

In my experience there is a finite number of "specialized" vermin on a map, so you can wipe out stuff like cave spiders or purring magots but not things like giant cockroaches or rats.
Or, wiping out Orc forts. It's harder than it sounds. And it sounds pretty hard.