Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Renegade soldiers  (Read 584 times)

Magog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Renegade soldiers
« on: July 18, 2009, 08:10:15 am »

Okay so it always seems one soldier decides to run off somewhere they aren't stationed and have no reason to be at like the middle of the forest. This used to get them killed but one of my champions single handedly routed the entire goblin siege while the rest of the garrison was cozily inside the walls waiting for the goblins to run into the cage traps. Dangit I wanted more goblin pets.  >:( What's the deal with these guys?

Freki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Renegade soldiers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 10:12:48 am »

Is the soldier part of his own squad? Sounds like he might have a single patrol point - try deleting the patrol point from his squad menu (X, I think) and see if that helps.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 10:30:29 am »

Are they on duty? (m)ilitary - v
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Scarpa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 11:53:12 am »

Did he arrive as a soldier in a migrant wave? Those guys tend to be stationed way out at the end of the map.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 12:04:37 pm »

There are AI bugs where if a soldier was previously assigned a station or patrol point from a different squad and doesn't have it unassigned before he's assigned to a new squad, sometimes he keeps his old orders. Try putting the 'renegade' soldiers into their own squad and assigning them to stand with the others. Sometimes this is all it takes to fix the bug, I'm sure it's somewhere on the list of things Toady plants to fix (though I think he may be revamping the military system soon, so idk).
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2009, 03:52:19 pm »

I've had the same sometimes, in my case is was because the soldiers were trying to pick up armour dropped by a different soldier that died outside.(They didn't have a full set yet).

Even when they are on duty, they will run out and try to grab that -cat leather low boot- as if their life depends on it. This is Fun when most of your soldiers are without full sets of armour, as when one of them dies in his suicide mission, 2-3 more try to grab his armour too, which leads to the lemmings dwarves getting killed one by one, setting off a chain reaction that will wipe out your military, and then follow with a tantrum spiral.(Unless you have a legendary dining room)
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

buzz killington

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2009, 05:47:56 pm »

I've had the same sometimes, in my case is was because the soldiers were trying to pick up armour dropped by a different soldier that died outside.(They didn't have a full set yet).

Even when they are on duty, they will run out and try to grab that -cat leather low boot- as if their life depends on it. This is Fun when most of your soldiers are without full sets of armour, as when one of them dies in his suicide mission, 2-3 more try to grab his armour too, which leads to the lemmings dwarves getting killed one by one, setting off a chain reaction that will wipe out your military, and then follow with a tantrum spiral.(Unless you have a legendary dining room)

Usually the only way I end up stopping this is by releasing my champion squad from the walls. I'd rather have a fun seige but the armor scavangers like to ruin it.

Magog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2009, 09:51:55 pm »

Also is their anyway to disable nervous injuries? I'm sick of every time I get a soldier to nearly legendary in a weapon (and already a legendary wrestler)... a siege comes and 2 or 3 soldiers every time suffer nervous injury meaning they have to move on to marksdwarves. I guess I could remove their spine and brain from the Raws? It's not like they seem to be using their brains anyway...