Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age affects adventurer.  (Read 1380 times)

Craftling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age affects adventurer.
« on: July 18, 2009, 06:36:59 am »

When creating your adventurer it should be possible to choose your age. By default it would be set to the coming of age for the adventurer.
If you choose an age between 0 and 5 you would be a baby. Being a baby would include wnadering around and learning how to walk etc.
Picking 5-12 would have your adventurer going to school, doing minor jobs and exploring the nearby area.
Aged 12-16/18  your adventurer would be doing advanced exploring and more jobs.
Age 16/18 and on your adventurer would be ready to go off and do whatever he likes.
But when your adventurer reaches approximately 60 he should start to bald, get slighty slower and get injured slightly quicker.
*This is based on humans as I do not know what the appropriate ages for dwarves/elves etc. are.

Comments should be made depending on your age as well. Things like "Whats a young chap like you doing with a sword", "Beat it old timer" or "When I was a child things were different"

Age would not be compulsory and would just be a way to gain extra skills, build early relationships and immerse yourself within your character more.

This would all tie in well with the part in the development about descriptions.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
Re: Age affects adventurer.
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2009, 06:39:51 am »

Jesus... I could live for 40 years with one uber character, living beside him in realtime and growing old playing with him. Scary.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009, 08:39:28 am »

"hah, in MY day we really knew how to rob a temple!"
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Evil One

• Bay Watcher
  • [Champion Elfslayer]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009, 10:04:00 am »

That would only work for humans, what about dwarves and... Other races that live much longer than humans?
Dwarf!  Indeed, a devious delight fond of drink and industry deceived as both do-gooder and devil by the delusions of deities.  This demander, no daft demeanor, is a driving force of the deadly diocese, now disappointed, delirious from goblin deception.  However, this delicious derangement of a demolished diamond stands determined!

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009, 11:29:16 am »

Well according to the RAWs most creatures are children until about 12. Then they become adults and can basically do whatever the whole grow old and get weaker thing does not really work for elves and goblins as they do not have a max age. But I do like the idea in general

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2009, 05:48:24 am »

To be honest, this is pretty much going to be there in the next version, as puberty (beards start growing at 12) will be in.  Degradation starting at maxage -5 or 10 or whatever is a short hop from there, although it'll require enforced retirement from entity positions

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2009, 07:18:53 am »

I don't know Craftling. You age so slowly, because travel times are like a week at most on the largest maps, and it doesn't look like that will ever change.

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2009, 07:59:25 am »

You hit the groundhog with your +oak walking stick+!
The shot glances away
Your right shoulder has been sprained!
You give in to pain
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Kilo24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2009, 01:05:54 pm »

Allow me to nitpick: I wouldn't quite see 5-12 as going to school in the majority of situations.  A private tutor, perhaps, if you're a noble's kid, but I don't think schools were

Scratch that; a quick Wikipedia check says they were there and pretty widespread.  Still, I would consider it a heavily culturally affected part rather than a de facto assumption.  Apprenticeships, household chores, and menial farming tasks seem to be more in keeping with the time period for the most part.

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2009, 01:10:44 pm »

Getting yourself kidnapped by goblin snatchers as a kid and then growing up and fighting your way out...

I suppose you could time skip in age by retiring your adventurer, going to play fortress mode for a while, then coming back to your character as an adult.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.