Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19786 times)

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #165 on: September 08, 2009, 07:57:12 pm »

A few extra questions:

*Are we allowed to edit some raws to get materials in bulk, such as wood from smelting, so long as we change them back to vanilla?

*Map painting: yea or nay?

*Is it required that the treasure at the end has to be obtained without destroying it? Or is simply breaching the vault the goal here?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 11, 2009, 03:54:21 am »

necrobump
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 11, 2009, 08:26:02 am »

Necro interest!

I haven't tried any of these vaults yet, but I can only think of one mean way of creating an 'impenetrable' vault:

1. Build an extremely small fort (2x2) next to a bottomless chasm.
2. Strip mine the entire level to bottom Z level, leaving no ramp access to edge of map.
3. Build some floors out to the centre of the chasm, and up from there build a single tile tower of walls up to the top Z level.
4. Build the vault at the top of the tower, small enough to fit into the chasm at the map bottom.
5. Remove all stairs/access afterwards, leaving only a single tile wide line of floors to the tower base.
6. Obliterate ALL stone, wood, blocks, etc. with an Atom Smasher. Everything. Abandon Fortress.

Pretty simple concept, I think... Nothing can be removed without collapsing the entire vault into the chasm, and there are no materials to procure. Stone could be brought with the reclaim party (possibly not enough? Depends on height of tower), although no trade can occur due to the strip mining.

Actually, now that I think of it, this would be penetrable with only 2 or 3 stone. Brownie points for those who can figure it out?
Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 11, 2009, 12:02:22 pm »

Bear in mind, I'm sure someone could embark to include adjacent tiles.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 11, 2009, 01:41:46 pm »

Necro interest!

I haven't tried any of these vaults yet, but I can only think of one mean way of creating an 'impenetrable' vault:

1. Build an extremely small fort (2x2) next to a bottomless chasm.
2. Strip mine the entire level to bottom Z level, leaving no ramp access to edge of map.
3. Build some floors out to the centre of the chasm, and up from there build a single tile tower of walls up to the top Z level.
4. Build the vault at the top of the tower, small enough to fit into the chasm at the map bottom.
5. Remove all stairs/access afterwards, leaving only a single tile wide line of floors to the tower base.
6. Obliterate ALL stone, wood, blocks, etc. with an Atom Smasher. Everything. Abandon Fortress.

Pretty simple concept, I think... Nothing can be removed without collapsing the entire vault into the chasm, and there are no materials to procure. Stone could be brought with the reclaim party (possibly not enough? Depends on height of tower), although no trade can occur due to the strip mining.

Actually, now that I think of it, this would be penetrable with only 2 or 3 stone. Brownie points for those who can figure it out?
You do realize you could dump the stone into the chasm, right? More later

Tenebrous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 12, 2009, 03:29:51 am »

Yeah, that kind of occurred as an afterthought, especially since you'd need to deconstruct the atom smasher and dispose of it afterwards.

Also, as an additional thought, what about using everburning bins (Iron Bin filled with Lignite/Bit.Coal bars, ignited with magma) as a deterrent? Those can't be touched or doused from what I recall, and I think the bin prevented the bars from disintegrating. Only solutions that come to mind would be to Atom Crush them or seal them in obsidian (hehe, problem caused by magma? Add more magma).
Enter TO CREATE THE WORLD.

killaconcarnage

• Bay Watcher
  • ROBOFISH
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 12, 2009, 03:48:56 am »

can we use no rest and no eat tags and stuff like that

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 12, 2009, 05:04:44 pm »

Yeah, that kind of occurred as an afterthought, especially since you'd need to deconstruct the atom smasher and dispose of it afterwards.

Also, as an additional thought, what about using everburning bins (Iron Bin filled with Lignite/Bit.Coal bars, ignited with magma) as a deterrent? Those can't be touched or doused from what I recall, and I think the bin prevented the bars from disintegrating. Only solutions that come to mind would be to Atom Crush them or seal them in obsidian (hehe, problem caused by magma? Add more magma).
They burn out after a couple in-game years, IIRC.

On the original idea: some stones are cheap. If a stone costs 2, why not scrap the anvil and take 500 stones? That would be more than enough for any size tower.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 12, 2009, 06:24:04 pm »

After consideration, I believe I have an answer that is ultimately dwarf-burglar-proof.  It is exceedingly simple.  I shall test it out.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

jsnlxndrlv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 18, 2010, 10:37:09 pm »

I'm really hoping Urist Safecracker can accomplish Stock of the Devil. I was delighted today when I remembered this topic and that I hadn't check it in so long; imagine my disappointment at seeing all progress frozen since last autumn.

xdarkcodex

• Bay Watcher
  • Watch in awe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 18, 2010, 11:20:40 pm »

Looks like this topic is dead. Looks like a lotta fun but.Would be cool if someone started it up again.
the statement below is true
the statement above is false

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 16, 2013, 05:59:06 pm »

So far i have just made a pit fall But im planing on making some sort of Creature chamber with a giant snake or somthing
Oop's Wrong Lever!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 16, 2013, 06:02:31 pm »

Thinking of doing this. Is DFHack allowed to speed up construction? In addition, are mods (meaning LFR) allowed?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2013, 06:05:09 pm by Remuthra »

Giver99

• Bay Watcher
  • self destruct..5..4..3..2..1..Oops
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 28, 2013, 10:02:35 am »

I have made a great valt and im currently storing all of my dead nobles in it it is a little island in a under ground pond with a path leading to it. the water is relly deap and i am making a sistume to drop it into the lowest Z-level that i have reached all of the coffins will land on a identicall platform of the first but there will be no path to it.
Oop's Wrong Lever!

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 28, 2013, 08:42:50 pm »

I have a great idea for a vault, but it would require a lot more... finicky details magma then I am used to dealing with, as a novice. The idea I have for storing all the great stuff hidden treasure is somewhat similar to an idea for a noble housing idea I had but never implemented (because I never got to the point where nobles become annoying - made barony once or twice, though, I think).

It would be a full deconstruction vault, I'd just have to use constructed walls/floors instead of bridges and floodgates, as my original noble idea entailed. Or lots of obsidian casting, which I've been too afraid to try because that's how one of my early forts ended.

That is, if this is active/going to be reactivated.

Edit: Still 40d, or the newest version? If 40d, I'm a little MORE apprehensive to try this, as that's where... well... Yeah.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 08:47:46 pm by flabort »
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12]