Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19820 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #120 on: August 07, 2009, 10:21:05 pm »

How goes it?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 08, 2009, 01:36:32 am »

Given the delay, I'm hoping my tomb has some permanent guests. :)
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 08, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »

I'm hoping some of the delay is a write up how it was cracked so I don't have to depend on movies to tell the story.

A good writeup will explain what was done, why it was done, what was hoped to be archived, why that should have done it....
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 08, 2009, 09:07:16 pm »

Finally got this done!

The Stock of the Devil (full deconstruction)

A human, an elf, and a dwarf walk into a bar. The dwarf says, "Hey, you two ever 'ear o' tha' fortress, Kikrostbisek, up in the mountains there, wha' with the disappearin' an' such?"
  The elf bespake, "Yea, that I have, O stout friend of mine! I have overheard strange rumors wherein the inhabitants thereof did verily anger an anciant god of the very volcano they setteled on. This, I eavesdropped, resulted in their rather immediate and unfortunate being set on fire. What do you think old chap?"
  The human said, "I heard that they were under siege from goblins for so long, that they went crazy and jumoed into the volcano!"
  The dwarf interjected, "Yer both wrong! Wha' really happened was tha' they were too greedy for their own good, and dug straigh' for the heart o' the mountain, and unleashed a terrible evil contained within."
  The human said, "I've also heard about a vault that they hid somewhere in the volcano."
  The elf did reply, "Yes, the so-called "Stock of the Devil", eh wot."
  The dwarf drank, "*gulp* Yeah. I 'eard tha' they rose up a second magma pipe to contain it in. Makes me wonder wha's indide o' tha' thing. *hic*"

Save here: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1319

Contains three difficulties, which should be easy to distinguish. 

I unfortunately do not have any screenshots, but just think of a magma pipe with a vault in it. It's the only fort in the world, so it should be easy to find.

« Last Edit: August 08, 2009, 09:11:13 pm by Sizik »

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 09, 2009, 05:23:04 pm »

Sensei's Vault has been cracked!  :D Sorry for the delay, been working a lot lately.
Spoilers on the first post for your reading and viewing pleasure.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2009, 05:29:29 pm by Dakira »
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: August 11, 2009, 10:07:39 pm »

Quote from: Dakira
14 Opal, 206
We have just gained access to the vault. Now lets see what's in here.
It's just a bunch of empty tombs with bridge operated levers.

Empty? Wtf? I went to lengths to make sure those tombs were filled- I had to construct a special drowning chamber to kill the mayor ("Sensei", Lord of Awesome). I was having a tantrum spiral when I was making critical adjustments that could only be made after the burial chamber was filled.

Anyway, I didn't know caveins went through floors- I'll have to remember that, it would have been a great help in the past. Also, the snaky passage had three trials- one, you had to remove a wall that would make a bridge crush your Urist. The next room, there were glass windows so your dwarves would run from carp (what was I thinking, they don't run from carp when they ARE dangerous!). The last room before the tomb, when a dwarf pulled the lever, it would open one bridge and trap them inside- now I guess you could still loot the place before they starved and get everyone out safely, but meh. The tomb itself wasn't supposed to be flooded, there was a floor hatch above (you say the water came from below? I can't believe I missed whatever hole it came through) that opened when you removed the bridge sealing off the final coffin- if you removed that bridge, water would come from below.

The "noble's room" you found was the dining hall, meant to minimize the chance of a tantrum spiral. That entire section of the fortress was merely a work camp.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 12, 2009, 02:56:02 am »

A few notes I thought should give on my vault.
The lever inside will safely open it; if you can access it, the vault's been breached anyway.
Also, I heartily recommend starting with Elf difficulty, then Human, ending with Dwarf, as they get progressively harder.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 12, 2009, 01:02:16 pm »

Just had an idea for an interesting extra obstacle to put into a vault.

1) Make sure your fortress has HFS
2) Mine out all the adamantine you can without breaching HFS
3) Obsidian cast to fill the gaps, to destroy the adamantine floors and hide the fact that vein-shaped excavations took place there
4) Construct your vault such that the only access is through the HFS.

Hopefully, when the vault cracker gets there, they won't be expecting to crack the HFS after only encountering one block of adamantine, and so won't have prepared for it. Thus, they will die horribly.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 12, 2009, 03:09:24 pm »

Problem is, even if you fill in all the HFS, it will still be suspiciously revealed.

Maybe you could cover your bum by using reveal.exe to make everything revealed, but...

And of course, HFS will still be on the embark map.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 12, 2009, 04:24:10 pm »

HFS won't be revealed until he's already mined into it. You do the adamantine filling and vault construction without breaching it, and make it so the vault breaker accidentally breaches it whilst trying to get at the vault. And once he's mined into it, it's too late to prepare.

And HFS is only on the embark map if init.txt has been modded, and he's stated he's using vanilla.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 12, 2009, 04:30:41 pm »

Changing init.txt doesn't count as modding the game.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 12, 2009, 04:33:03 pm »

Psh.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 12, 2009, 05:34:43 pm »

Empty? Wtf? I went to lengths to make sure those tombs were filled- I had to construct a special drowning chamber to kill the mayor ("Sensei", Lord of Awesome). I was having a tantrum spiral when I was making critical adjustments that could only be made after the burial chamber was filled.
Every tomb in there could have allowed me to use it for burial. It was weird.

Changing init.txt doesn't count as modding the game.
Nope, it even says on the first post that Invasions are off and Cave-Ins are on. Those should be the only things changed when you make your vault.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 12, 2009, 05:46:19 pm »

Corpses in coffins gone upon reclaim+flooding and draining... bug?

Anyway... do you think Nist Akath will eventually be available for this challenge? Because that would be awesome.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 12, 2009, 07:46:11 pm »

Corpses in coffins gone upon reclaim+flooding and draining... bug?

Anyway... do you think Nist Akath will eventually be available for this challenge? Because that would be awesome.
What now?  ???
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 12