Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19814 times)

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #105 on: July 31, 2009, 06:42:01 pm »

From Mandaril: Sculpture Garden of Sob́restân [Full Deconstruction]
Victory!
Number of Urists Killed: 0
Number of Seasons Taken: 1.5
Number of Reclamations: 1
About the Fortress:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I wasn't sure if it would count as an exploit but I carved fortifications on the edges of the map and used it to drain the water. I wanted to see how quickly I could get in so I broke in through the ceiling also.

This is the first time I've used the DFMA so apologies if I did anything wrong.

I'd call draining the water off of the map through underground means and atom-smashing bridges definite exploits.
I think that water and magma can only be properly disposed of in these ways:
It doesn't make sense to me that water can be gotten rid of by digging out of map boundaries. It's just more stone beyond that carved fortification.

As far as the DFMA goes imo;
I wouldn't worry about doing anything wrong but I'm a little uneasy about a couple of things. If too many people upload a map ending in the Mid Autumn of 203 will it overwrite the older map that was there first? Is there a reason you made all of your Points of Interest at 0 zoom?
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009, 06:44:37 pm by Dakira »
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 31, 2009, 08:53:37 pm »

Indeed it is an odd way to get the water off the map as I said, it does seem like an exploit. I just wanted to see how quickly I could get in and you already used the pump method. There are however a number of other non-exploit ways this could be done.

I did not realise it would upload the map alongside your maps, I hadn't used the DFMA before then, I can remove mine if you like and upload it with a different name. Oh and the 0 zoom is like that because I like it like that.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 01, 2009, 03:27:52 am »

I have a basically perfect defense, but I have no idea what to defend. What should I pick?

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 01, 2009, 09:35:57 am »

A pile of rock crafts or the tomb of your favorite dwarf?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 01, 2009, 01:00:38 pm »

You should pick a pick.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2009, 03:15:02 pm »

I decided to have another go but without using any exploits.

From Mandaril: Sculpture Garden of Sob́restân [Full Deconstruction]
Victory!
Number of Urists Killed: 0
Number of Seasons Taken: 3.5 (Mid-Winter)
Number of Reclamations: 1
About the Fortress:
DFMA Maps and Movies:
I haven't uploaded my map yet, I'm considering starting a new entry in the DFMA for it so as to avoid any possible problems, I'll relocate my original attempt when I do.

Once again I aimed for speed although I could have been faster and I again used no pumps. I started by digging a large room and diverting the river into it so that I could damn over the tunnel leading down to the vault. Then I drained each level of that tunnel one by one. finally I dug out a chunk of the roof and dropped it to the floor of the chamber then mined through that to gain access to the vault without needing to drain it.

Edit: I just realised that natural stone will smash through natural floors so I could most likely beach the vault in under a season :P. You'd have to set up some simple airlocks though to counter the water that while under pressure will rush to fill the space left behind by the fallen ceiling but otherwise its not even that dangerous an operation.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 06:49:13 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2009, 07:34:53 pm »

Hum, has anyone tried mine yet?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 01, 2009, 08:18:35 pm »

Also, my vault can come in normal, hard, and X-treme difficulties, if anybody would be interested.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Flashzom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 01, 2009, 09:05:25 pm »

A quick question for anyone willing to undergo an adventure mode treasure hunt. Do items get scattered around after abandonment or after reclamation?
And as the fires licked and roared over his skin, Urist realized that the hustle and bustle of being on fire really tired him out.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 01, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »

When you reclaim, you'll find them scattered.

Pretty much if you enter it in adv. mode under any circumstances, you will see debris.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 02, 2009, 11:44:29 am »

I decided to have another go but without using any exploits.

Once again I aimed for speed although I could have been faster and I again used no pumps. I started by digging a large room and diverting the river into it so that I could damn over the tunnel leading down to the vault. Then I drained each level of that tunnel one by one. finally I dug out a chunk of the roof and dropped it to the floor of the chamber then mined through that to gain access to the vault without needing to drain it.

Edit: I just realised that natural stone will smash through natural floors so I could most likely beach the vault in under a season :P. You'd have to set up some simple airlocks though to counter the water that while under pressure will rush to fill the space left behind by the fallen ceiling but otherwise its not even that dangerous an operation.

Oh that is brilliant!  ;D

Indeed it is an odd way to get the water off the map as I said, it does seem like an exploit. I just wanted to see how quickly I could get in and you already used the pump method. There are however a number of other non-exploit ways this could be done.

I did not realise it would upload the map alongside your maps, I hadn't used the DFMA before then, I can remove mine if you like and upload it with a different name. Oh and the 0 zoom is like that because I like it like that.

no worries, nothing is overwritten.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:48:24 am by Dakira »
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 02, 2009, 06:04:23 pm »

Hmm you consider fortification draining an exploit. Well it's the only way to make tamper proof drainage for an impenetrable vault challenge. My map is gonna use it, otherwise it's just make the challenge trivial (I'm not going for an impossible vault just one that's fun to crack).

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 02, 2009, 09:23:36 pm »

Hum, has anyone tried mine yet?

Sorry Sensei, the folder you gave me won't work either. :( I wrestled with it to try and make default files work and the like. I left a post about it on page 6.

The link to the file was also on page six. If anyone wants to crack the vault, I say go for it if it works. I don't want to have your Vault left alone.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 09:30:30 pm by Dakira »
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 02, 2009, 09:44:59 pm »

Weird- it works fine for me; it's an exact copy of what I'm using now. I even redownloaded it and tested- it works fine. You ARE running 'Dwarf Fortress.exe' and not 'dwarfort.exe' right? Because otherwise it won't work.

NTS: Get a tileset-free 40d save.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 05, 2009, 07:03:03 pm »

Weird- it works fine for me; it's an exact copy of what I'm using now. I even redownloaded it and tested- it works fine. You ARE running 'Dwarf Fortress.exe' and not 'dwarfort.exe' right? Because otherwise it won't work.

NTS: Get a tileset-free 40d save.
*smacks head* How annoying. I should have read the dev notes further.
I'll have my attempt at your vault up when it's ready.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12