Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12

Author Topic: Vault Challenge  (Read 19836 times)

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Vault Challenge
« Reply #60 on: July 26, 2009, 10:01:53 pm »

The glass tower isn't impenetrable.  Since you can't build walls on the top level. 

1. Civilians can deconstruct a hole in the floor on the top level
2. Marksdwarves shoot everything dead on the 2nd top level through the hole
3. "Retracting bridge drop" military dwarves into the 2nd top level and undraft
4. Drop in construction blocks and build a stair to top level
5. Repeat from 1 at one level lower

Dwarves can deconstruct a floor from below if there's a up/down stair there, IIRC, so paving the top level over won't work. 

IIRC again, you can't get a floor-type section that will allow goblins to spook civilians and also block shooting. 

DarkStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Dam Builder
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 27, 2009, 07:39:18 am »

I have begun construction of a vault, however I am using 40d11 (having already checked for backwards compat issues)

I hope that this is ok ^^

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 27, 2009, 08:41:41 am »

Couldn't you use the invisabridge method for protecting the top level of the glass tower? Or are those forbidden too?

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 27, 2009, 12:28:55 pm »

Update Time!
Have there been attempts to break into anyone's vault yet?
Yes! The Sculpture Garden of Sobirestan has been opened up for all to see!
Number of Urists Killed: 0
Number of Seasons Taken: 6
Number of Reclamations: 1
Maps and Movies Spoiler:
I have begun construction of a vault, however I am using 40d11 (having already checked for backwards compat issues)

I hope that this is ok ^^
I'd rather you played it in v0.28.181.40d.

So Sensei, What's the name of your vault and is it a Full Deconstruction?
The CAT_MOUTH business:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Alright, So I put in the CAT_MOUTH under "body_default" and changed CAT_MOUTH in "creatures_domestic". I have now received "Missing Reaction Definition." I'm assuming it has something to do with the CAT_MOUTH again. You did DL the v0.28.181.40d right?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2009, 12:48:02 pm by Dakira »
There's no such thing as useless science. Now we need to weaponize this.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 27, 2009, 02:28:45 pm »

I installed 40d13 over a 40d downloaded [url-http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/]here[/url], where I started DF, trying not to overwrite anything that wasn't openGL (and possibly screwing up).

Maybe I should just upload my entire DF folder so there's no problems?
Also, it IS full deconstruction, and the fortress' name is totally blank. It should probably stick out in history mode.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Nightwind

• Bay Watcher
  • The wind has no destination
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2009, 05:10:53 am »

My bandwidth is... Limited.

Could you please type us a story of how you reached the statue garden?
GENERATION 28:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2009, 08:30:18 am »

Actually,would this work?

-Embark on the smallest island you can find, with no other land on the embark tile.

-Turn island into vault

-Channel out the entirety of the above sea-level ground, aside from one square which your channeler has to stand on

-Use a controlled cave-in to remove the last square

-Kill all your dwarves.

You're left with no land on the embark tile, and the vault nice and secure beneath the ocean. Pretty sure there's no way to get at that.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2009, 10:50:41 am »

Would you even be able to reclaim on that area again?

I don't think anyone doubts you can make a completely invulnerable vault (you could just flood your whole map with magma and kill all dwarves) but the challenge is to make one that at least can be attempted.

Now sinking every tile of land except a small patch for reclaiming sounds like good fun.

Heliomance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 28, 2009, 10:54:11 am »

If they have land to stand on, it's relatively easy to get at the vault by using a burning lignite bin to drain the ocean. It would utterly kil your FPS for a while, but from what I hear it works.

jseah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 28, 2009, 11:29:36 am »

Couldn't you use the invisabridge method for protecting the top level of the glass tower? Or are those forbidden too?
Water and Magma pump tower to make an obsidian block on the invisible bridge.  Bring water to the top level and magma to the top-1.  After making 1 block on each side of an open square, make a block in the middle open square at top-2. 

Uses the fact that cisterns can give "velocity" to stuff that comes out.  I've seen my moat filler pump stack project water more than 1 square forwards.  It sometimes even goes to 3 squares. 

Going to be hell to do though, got to somehow survive magma/water/obsidian raining from the sky. 

################################################

Screw the top level entry.  Got a better idea. 
Grow the fort, get a siege.  Cage a building destroyer.  Use it to break a few windows. (walling off the entire tower if need be) Viola!

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 28, 2009, 12:13:02 pm »

Won't they stop building the floors a few tiles out from the windows?
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

Silenoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 28, 2009, 12:20:55 pm »

I installed 40d13 over a 40d downloaded [url-http://afteractionreporter.com/2009/02/09/the-complete-and-utter-newby-tutorial-for-dwarf-fortress-part-1-wtf/]here[/url], where I started DF, trying not to overwrite anything that wasn't openGL (and possibly screwing up).

Also, it IS full deconstruction, and the fortress' name is totally blank. It should probably stick out in history mode.

Post the reaction standard.txt for him and have him use yours. The CAT_MOUTH and reaction changes were made in the 40d11 package with Mayday graphics. I know this because I had to add CAT_MOUTH to definitions and also copy over the reaction txt file when trying to load a 40d11 Mayday save game into 40d13.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 28, 2009, 06:01:20 pm »

Could you upload it for me? I'd feel better about that than more trial and error.

Would you even be able to reclaim on that area again?

I don't think anyone doubts you can make a completely invulnerable vault (you could just flood your whole map with magma and kill all dwarves) but the challenge is to make one that at least can be attempted.

Now sinking every tile of land except a small patch for reclaiming sounds like good fun.
That sounds interesting... My only concern is that I could run out of materials to work with and perhaps claim that the vault can not be broken into legitimately.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Dakira

• Bay Watcher
  • [LURKER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 28, 2009, 06:03:20 pm »

My bandwidth is... Limited.

Could you please type us a story of how you reached the statue garden?

Yep, I'll leave it in the first post when it's ready for your viewing pleasure.

Also, I'd like to thank Mandaril for the first submission and helping this thread right along.
Everyone should:
play checkers.
fight clowns with water.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 28, 2009, 07:10:29 pm »

The Missing Reaction Definition is probably the reaction_all_economic file, the one that makes it so that you can turn off and on all stones. At least that is what that usually is if you get it after the cat mouth thing, because a lot of people bundle them together.

Here, try putting this in to your raws as a file named reaction_all_economic

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12